Username
Password

01:42 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
takemyhand
Either I'm in heaven or I'm in hell
Detroit, Michigan
Female - 23 Years Old
Last March I met this girl who started dating my roommate. One of the first times I met her she told me that she had two Pomeranian dogs that she had to get rid of or she was going to get evicted from her apartment. I told her I would take one if she wanted, and she gave me the dog right on the spot. It was all verbal, but I did ask for her papers and she told me she didn't know where they were. The only proof I can find that I have of her giving me the dog is a Facebook post. I've had the dog for a little over three months, and I actually helped her out by watching her second dog for a month while she figured things out. I took both of the dogs to the vet because she never took them. I fell in complete love with this dog. Like, I spent everyday with her and brought her everywhere, she was my best friend.

A couple days ago, my roommate, the girl I got my dog from, and our other mutual friend came into my house while I wasn't home and took my dog with no warning. I got a few texts about her telling me how much the dog is worth and her telling me if I want the dog so bad to pay her what she paid. I texted back trying to figure out why she thinks it was okay just to come over unannounced and take my dog. She started calling me a nut for making it such a big deal that she came over and then told me her daughter wanted her dog back. If her daughter really wanted this dog back, wouldn't she have just talked to me about it? Like, what kind of person steals a dog and then on top of that is insulting and evil about it? I really wish I would have gotten the agreement written out, but all I have is my word, a Facebook post, and other people who she told that she gave me the dog.

I really love that dog, I don't even know how to get over the whole situation.

01:50 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't know if you're a Redditor, but posting about your situation here in addition to the PL forum will definitely help you get some answers. That site (while full of idiots a la most websites) will provide you day in and day out with some of the best advice you'll ever receive. Hopefully you find some that helps.
01:51 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
takemyhand
Either I'm in heaven or I'm in hell
Detroit, Michigan
Female - 23 Years Old
Thank you so much.
02:32 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
Seattle
Male - 23 Years Old
I dunno, you kinda do sound like a nut.
04:02 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
Kozzy333
sad canadian cook
Hamilton, Ontario
Male - 21 Years Old
Yeah unfortunately it's not your dog but coming over and just taking the dog wasn't cool.

Edit- Did she say that she was giving it to you or that you were watching it for her?
04:58 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
jrayrocks9191
Blah.
Male - 23 Years Old
Subpoena that bitch.
05:09 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
upthepunx
San Diego, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
Burglary - That dog is yours.
05:25 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
honey bunny that's the funny thing
omnipresent
Female
That sucks. I think at the least you can take her to small claims court for the vet bills but I know that's not exactly what you wanted to hear. I think you're kind of out of luck without any sort of formal agreement. I'd also maybe print out the facebook post and other things you do have when you take her to court, maybe they'll award you the dog. I am sure I'm totally wrong but I can't help but think of Judge Judy and shit like that when I hear this. :(
05:50 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
honkytonk
Fedoras, limit 1 per group.
Niagara Falls, ON
Male
I know nothing about the justice system to be honest, but it seems like you could still make some kind of case against her as long as you can print screen the post where she says you can have her dog. I mean, she says she's giving the dog to you, to keep, and then just takes it back because she changes her mind. Plus she takes it back without your consent (which I'd consider burglary/theft) and says that NOW you have to pay for the dog if you want it, after she already gave it to you for free. That ain't right. Like I said, I know very little about something like this, but I've seen more trivial cases on courtroom tv shows, so who knows... I wish you all the best with this, and hope you get the dog back!
05:57 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
Holly HoX!
BLVD OF LINDEN
Male
man, that dog is high. super cute though. tough situation. there's not really much you can do. just buy it from her if the dog means that much to you now. it's worth it. how much is she saying it costs? $600 or something?

awesome avatar btw.
07:03 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
That is so messed up for her to steal the dog without a warning. But like what other people had said, did she give it to you because she couldn't keep it, or was it temporary?
If there is no other choice, what I would do if I was in your situation, is if she is wanted you to pay for the dog if you want to keep it, ask her how much she wants, then deduct how much you payed for the vet bills from her asking price, then pay her that much.
08:35 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
Raarzipan
Registered Member
Female - 25 Years Old
I know nothing about the justice system to be honest, but it seems like you could still make some kind of case against her as long as you can print screen the post where she says you can have her dog. I mean, she says she's giving the dog to you, to keep, and then just takes it back because she changes her mind. Plus she takes it back without your consent (which I'd consider burglary/theft) and says that NOW you have to pay for the dog if you want it, after she already gave it to you for free. That ain't right. Like I said, I know very little about something like this, but I've seen more trivial cases on courtroom tv shows, so who knows... I wish you all the best with this, and hope you get the dog back!

Yeah i agree with this. It definitely sounds like burglary/theft to me, I'd go to the local police station and tell them the situation and see if they can press any charges. Also, I'd screenshot and make sure to save a link to that FB post.
08:50 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Yeah unfortunately it's not your dog but coming over and just taking the dog wasn't cool.

Edit- Did she say that she was giving it to you or that you were watching it for her?

She was given the first dog to keep and the second one was just watching it.

That's fucked up that she wants the money for it because she's completely disregarding her supposed excuse that her daughter wants the dog back.

Question, how long has she had the dog before she gave it to you?

I would take her to court just to put her through the bullshit of seeing she's wrong. You'll probably be awarded the dog, and I would DEFINITELY tell the police there was a theft.
09:44 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
Surprise, AZ
Male - 23 Years Old
That dog's expression....oh god I can'y stop laughing
11:32 PM on 06/07/12 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
You could take her to small claims court for the vet bills and trespassing in your place, then try to settle out of Court for the dog in exchange for dropping all charges.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos