AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Angel Eyes - ...And for a Roof a Sky Full of... Album Cover

Angel Eyes - ...And for a Roof a Sky Full of...

Reviewed by
Angel Eyes - …And For A Roof A Sky Full Of Stars
Record Label: Underground Communiqué Records
Release Date: July 19, 2007
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Gently swirling around my bare ankles, the wind muses like an abandoned dog. Trees rustle. Grass sways and swishes. A disrupting siren becomes an eerie howling. Metaphors and personifications start to describe me more perfectly than their literary masters ever intended. I’m either becoming one with my surroundings or I’m going insane. But this smile on my face won’t budge; perhaps the true sign of madness. Blending together this world of nature and noise is Angel Eyes’ …And For A Roof A Sky Full Of Stars.

If you think it sounds completely cliché to begin a write-up with risky syntax and blurry personal imagery, you’re probably right. But just sticking to facts or a misplaced parentheses joke (Get in that ass, Larry!) would underwrite the art of such a record. Angel Eyes mix elongated post-rock passages that would, at times, pass for soothing. But in my humble opinion, these lengthy sections only exist to be obliterated by frantic screams and crushing guitars. For every minute of gloomy calmness, there are two more of heavy doom/drone rock. The mixture is neither abrupt nor expected, but Angel Eyes have created a truly stunning record. I’m talking sit-down-hold-on-tight-check-your-blood-pressure gorgeous. These two tracks, simply named “(one)” and “(two)”, account for 27 minutes of pleasure, of otherworldly bliss.

“(one)” really makes you wait for It. Ambient, grandiose strums seem to continue past time itself. But once things start to chug forward and roam the vast plains of chaotic screamo, a funny thing happens: Introspection. Well, I guess that’s only funny to me; it might be real serious for the rest of you. I see myself sitting outside the window looking up at the stars, just like the protagonist in “(one).” I wonder what’s up there and just how long it will stay separated from our world. Then, after another ambient interlude, I receive an unnerving response: Angel Eyes exclaim (quite forcefully), “The sky is falling!” Floored doesn’t even describe it. I was basemented. I mean, when would such a thing happen? Would the actual end come equipped with music as great as this? One can only hope.

“(two)” gives the listener very little time to regain blood flow to their extremities. The guitars soar a bit higher, but the heavy-handed percussion keeps us firmly planted in dark muck. The music starts to sound farther and farther away, like Angel Eyes are weaning us off the bottle. Which is thoughtful of them, because …And For A Roof… has exhausting characteristics. But rather than how one feels after a regrettable night out (those exist?!), think the joy after completing a marathon. Take a few breaths, wipe the sweat off your brow, and get back in there. Who knows how much time we have left for the finer things in life.

Recommended If You Like: Pyramids – “Sleep Spindles & K-Complexes,” Sickoakes – “Taking the Stairs Instead of the Elevator,” experiences, Suis La Lune – “My Mind is a Birdcage,” Mouth Of The Architect – “At Arms Length,” pretty flowers

For old time's sake!www.myspace.com/angeleyes

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
09:47 AM on 11/14/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I may need to check this out just because of how you wrote that intro paragraph. Nice work, sir.
11:49 AM on 11/14/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
"I’m either becoming one with my surroundings or I’m going insane."

Line of the week.

You remind me why I am so sad that I am no longer a creative non-fiction major.
01:54 PM on 11/14/07
Pat k
sunchildspeaks.blogspot.c om
User Info.
I haven't heard from this band for years. I think I went to a few of their first shows
03:08 PM on 11/14/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
Great as always
03:41 PM on 11/14/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Great review, I'll check this out.
04:48 PM on 11/14/07
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Kiiiiiinda wanna hear this.
05:26 AM on 11/15/07
HangsLikeHeaven
coughin' like you caught a cold
User Info.
Awesome review, I wanna hear this now.
06:40 AM on 11/17/07
walkincold
User Info.
I love how their sound has evolved over the course of their three recordings; they are one of my favorite bands and more often than not, i wish i wrote songs like they do.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos