Password

Album Review

Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works Album Cover

Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

Reviewed by
Dillinger Escape PlanIre Works
Release Date: November 13th 2007
Record Label: Relapse Records

There are few bands out there that genuinely scare me. This fear is not derived from creepy black metal imagery or offstage antics, but by a knack for writing material that is wholeheartedly original and on a level all its own. Dillinger Escape Plan is one of these few bands. Despite a seemingly endless rotation of band members (guitarist Ben Weinman is the only original member left), Dillinger has continued to push the boundaries of technical hardcore, expanding their sound while still retaining the characteristics that earned them a devoted following since Calculating Infinity. Ire Works has been a long time in the making and more drama filled than most Hollywood tabloids, but despite the troubles the band has created a worthy successor to 2004’s Miss Machine.

Most notably absent is drummer and founding songwriter Chris Pennie, who not so quietly left DEP to fill in on the throne for Coheed and Cambria. His playing has always been what propelled the band’s jaggedly extremely technical bombast forward so there were many concerns about the band’s future when he left. Earlier this year a video emerged on Youtube (parodying the final episode of The Sopranos nonetheless) that introduced Gil Sharone, the man who would be taking over for Chris. Although a touch chair to fill, Gil does an excellent job taking over and after listening to Ire Works, his chops will put anyone’s fear to rest. The guy is a machine; his playing is pure and some of the most interesting of the year. His introduction into the band (although Chris will be missed) will please any fans of the band’s previous work. Guitarist Ben Weinman does his best at taking over solo guitar duties; in fact his playing is some of the strongest he has put to record to date. The album blasts to a start with “Fix Your Face”, a track reminiscent in style to Miss Machine’s opener “Panasonic Youth”. The song is spastic, fast, and more importantly, retains the sound that brings Dillinger to the forefront of the hardcore scene. The time changes in “Lurch” will make your head spin and put any fears you had about this album to rest. The nomadic song structure rarely stays in one place for long, leaving little chance of losing your attention (however, if the band is not your thing, then it will not leave much time to reel you in either). The heavy half of the album doesn’t stop there, “Party Smasher” does through more transitions in under 2 minutes than most bands do on an entire album. The track portrays Dillinger Escape Plan’s ability to take something wholly disjointed that simply should not work and mold it into a controlled chaos that makes sense.

Half of Ire Works shows DEP experimenting with their formula more so than what was hinted at on Miss Machine. For the most part, this experimentation works but on the other end it can sometimes throw off the flow of the album. “Black Bubblegum” displays an almost Blood Brothers rhythm with Greg Puciato utilizing falsetto and a chorus that is downright catchy. This track in particular is a great example of how strong the band’s songwriting can be without all the speed and jagged time signatures. “Mouth Of Ghosts” further emphasizes the band’s versatility with its salsa industrial feel. However, this formula works only most of the time. “Sick On Sunday” and “When Acting As A Particle” are other experimental tracks that don’t fare so well. The two aren’t bad at all; they just really bring nothing to the table. They are two short to really go anywhere and are ultimately throwaway tracks that just throw off the cohesiveness of the album. The good news is that their inclusion does not hurt the album much because for these two tracks, there are 11 others that make you forget about anything else. Yes, Dillinger Escape Plan is back and there couldn’t be a better time for the band to make its triumphant return. Many people try to emulate the sound that they have honed over the years, but few come close. Ire Works only propels the band further from the crowd and gives others a lot more ground to cover before they have a chance of catching up to the brilliance present on a hardcore record that will still sound fresh for years to come.

Tracklisting1. Fix Your Face
2. Lurch
3. Black Bubblegum
4. Sick On Sunday
5. When Acting As A Particle
6. Nong Eye Gong
7. When Acting As A Wave
8. 82588
9. Milk Lizard
10. Party Smasher
11. Dead As History
12. Horse Hunter
13. Mouth Of Ghosts
Listen to Dillinger Escape PlanAP.net Profile | Myspace | Purevolume | Relapse Records Site
This review is a user submitted review from Tom Good. You can see all of Tom Good's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 67
10:15 AM on 11/18/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Eh, good review, but I don't agree with any of it. I can't stand this album.
10:26 AM on 11/18/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Eh, good review, but I don't agree with any of it. I can't stand this album.
I can tell you are choosing Chris' side by the avatar Nah, but it's cool. If Dillinger was never your thing, this will not change with this album at all. Completely understandable. It took me a while to get into them after Calculating Infinity.
11:46 AM on 11/18/07
jkaminallen
sexomatic robot
User Info.
Such a good damn album.
12:34 PM on 11/18/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
I can tell you are choosing Chris' side by the avatar Nah, but it's cool. If Dillinger was never your thing, this will not change with this album at all. Completely understandable. It took me a while to get into them after Calculating Infinity.
Haha

No, I loved Calculating Infinity a ton, but I just can't seem to get into this album. There's been zero progression from Miss Machine, and when you're a progressive band...you know, you have to progress.
04:48 PM on 11/18/07
TheOtherAndrew
Hail the Bandits
User Info.
Nice review. I've only listened to the album once so far, I really need to go back and listen again.
05:50 PM on 11/18/07
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
on "black bubblegum" greg is seriously just doing a mike patton impression the entire time. every time that song comes on how can you not think of faith no more
09:28 PM on 11/18/07
industrialbelt
don't you quote me!
User Info.
Haha

No, I loved Calculating Infinity a ton, but I just can't seem to get into this album. There's been zero progression from Miss Machine, and when you're a progressive band...you know, you have to progress.

tell that to coheed. NWFT is years behind FFTTEOM.
10:25 PM on 11/18/07
mattTLTT
User Info.
this album is fucking amazing but did they have a different drummer record for this or was chris still on it?
12:46 AM on 11/19/07
maxrabkin
Josh Hamilton: The Natural
User Info.
this album is fucking amazing but did they have a different drummer record for this or was chris still on it?

I'm fairly sure Gil Sharrone did the drumming on the cd. I did hear, that Chris wrote alot of the material, but Gil did the recording of it.

Great cd. Still need to give a few more listens, but I like what I've heard alot.
01:03 AM on 11/19/07
emkvetwin
What's left of where we're from?
User Info.

I'm fairly sure Gil Sharrone did the drumming on the cd. I did hear, that Chris wrote alot of the material, but Gil did the recording of it.

ummm.... read the review?
04:42 AM on 11/19/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
tell that to coheed. NWFT is years behind FFTTEOM.
By progression, I mean change their sound, not improve it. Finch progressed between WIITB and SHTS, but I don't believe they improved it. Coheed has progressed from CD to CD, whether you think it was a good change or not, they definitely have progressed.
04:45 AM on 11/19/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
ummm.... read the review?
Beat me to it
05:18 AM on 11/19/07
absolutecrunk
wears leggings as pants
User Info.
Brilliant opening line. Rock solid review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos