AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 68.
08:17 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
My dad has a collection of like a thousand vinyl records, and he's sold only one. Which he regrets to this day, even tho it wasn't that good. I think it was like a Ringo Starr solo record, something that would be pretty bad, but he gets the urge to hear it again and can't.

So now I can't sell any of my records ever, no matter what.

I always check out Craigslist for dad's selling record lots. A lot of times you can grab a couple hundred records on the cheap, sift through them and get some real gems. I would love to look through that collection. People like your dad probably take real good care of their records as well - just like mine.
08:20 AM on 06/20/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I always check out Craigslist for dad's selling record lots. A lot of times you can grab a couple hundred records on the cheap, sift through them and get some real gems. I would love to look through that collection. People like your dad probably take real good care of their records as well - just like mine.
Nah, the sides are all beat to shit on like all of them. There's some good stuff but definitely not in the best condition. He's got mine in a corner of his big ass shelf and they look way more new in comparison.
08:23 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Nah, the sides are all beat to shit on like all of them. There's some good stuff but definitely not in the best condition. He's got mine in a corner of his big ass shelf and they look way more new in comparison.

Well, then he enjoys listening to them which is better. Records are meant to be played. That's cool. How many have you amassed?
08:49 AM on 06/20/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Well, then he enjoys listening to them which is better. Records are meant to be played. That's cool. How many have you amassed?
I only have like ten, in the corner of this big ass collection.
08:53 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
09:55 AM on 06/20/12
topsecret
User Info.
a bit off topic.

my first favorite album: Outline- A Boy Can Dream

I don't own the first copy I ever purchased anymore (stolen from my honda) but listening to those songs on repeat almost on a daily basis is a memmory I would not trade. I remember signing up for a mailing list online and having a large envelope mailed to my house. Inside the envelope was a cd, t-shirt, stickers, and flyers to promote the album release, I couldn't believe that a local band sent me all of the items included in the package for free. My biggest memory of that album is listening to the last track and thinking the cd had ended, after the silence came to an end a quick Midtownish riff made my mouth uncontrollably blurt out wow as the sound of broken glass rang in my ears. Outline turned me on to so many other bands such as Saves The Day, Midtown, and Unwritten Law.
An Outline reunion would be out of control -
Great memory & great record. For those not in the know, Outline features Jack Antonoff of Steel Train & fun.
10:00 AM on 06/20/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
I have the yellowcard vinyl box set an that is probably the one thing I would never give up (yeah I know it's cheating it's 5 records). Between how much thy band means to me and how awesome that package was I will never get rid of it
10:13 AM on 06/20/12
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
I have a first pressing of New Order: Substance on vinyl that I got from my older brother who was the one that got me into music to begin with. He gave it to me when I was probably 12 from his collection. I would KILL if anything were to ever happen to it because that record is a symbol of how I grew to appreciate music when I was younger and I still do to this day.

I want to be you so that I can have that record
10:36 AM on 06/20/12
tonethehero
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There's a few records in my collection that I'm forever enthralled with: As Tall As Lions self titled signed, Hold On by name taken, NFG's picture disc of their self titled album. Quiet Nights by Miles Davis is also a gem, same with Pneuma by Mov Mou.
10:37 AM on 06/20/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
For me, tangible media is certainly a thing of the past. When I was in my early 20s, I spent over $100 a week on physical music, but today, I don't own a single physical album. I also don't own any digital music, either. I hopped onto the subscription bandwagon when Yahoo Music was still in existence back in 2006 and never looked back. I get the concept that convenience sort of spoils the sense of special-ness, but with the sheer volume of music being made today, if I had to jump through hoops to find every record I listen to and then shell out ten bucks just to have the opportunity to give it a test spin, I'd need some special pills that made me not require sleep just to have the time, plus I'd need to hit the lottery to fund the endeavor.

I don't necessarily support the idea of "free culture," but I do believe that something so enriching as exposure to the vast sea of art, whether that be music, film or whatever, should not be cost prohibitive. That ease of access has become so central to my life, though Rhapsody and Netflix, that I'm not sure I could survive if those models went away. I find it rather astounding how quickly our understanding and perspectives can deepen and expand when immersed in so much cultural data. It's one of the main reasons I find myself writing so much less lately. I look at stuff I wrote even a year ago, and it feels like it was written by an uninformed idiot, and I'm far from a kid. Anything I say now is only going to sound stupid to more sophisticated future me, so why bother?

Having a vinyl disc and treasuring it and playing it over and over-- that's not something that really fits my lifestyle. I generally take the view that there's too much music out there I still haven't heard to spend my time playing the same ones over and over again. I know it's commonly expressed around here that a lot of time must be put into poring over and album before one can pass any sort of judgment on it. I personally prefer to take one good listen and approach it with a cultural generalist sort of mindset, although I obviously revisit those albums I like frequently enough.

Right now, I'm listening to The dB's' new album Falling Off the Sky, their first album in a dogs day, and one I probably wouldn't have checked out did I not have easy access some time ago to their 1981 landmark Stands for Decibels, an old record I otherwise wouldn't have sought out, but which technology and modern distribution channels have allowed me to experience and appreciate for the classic that it is. The ability to just randomly stumble upon something, with a few simple mouse clicks, that changes your whole paradigm-- it's not something I would trade for any tangible piece of material.
11:26 AM on 06/20/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
I illegally download music. A lot. But I do this as a way of testing the water. I go college and cannot afford CD's, so I download them, and then ask for the ones I enjoyed most for christmas or my birthday in August. This way the CD's are still payed for, and owned, and I don't waste any money on god awful CD's like I used to. Alongside this, if it's a band I trust, I will buy the CD without downloading it first, and often get a whole bands discography in one go (a year or so back I got all MCS's albums after listening to their singles on Youtube).

Personally I see this as the way to go, it might also make artists strive to create something more unique in order to get noticed.
11:28 AM on 06/20/12
collideoscopic
User Info.
This is ridiculous. When I go record picking, sometimes I'll just get something that looks cool without ever hearing it. If it looks interesting I have to have it.I used to do this back in the day at used CD shops as well - when I listened to more bands in this genre. I would buy albums all the time without hearing a single note, some of these remain my favorites. Hey Mercedes is one of them. Likewise, I would look at band's liner notes and go through and seek out their "thank you" bands and often find gems.

Your logic is fucked. Part of the beauty of music is discovery. Sure, sometimes you'll end up buying a dud. Oh well. But sometimes you'll end up finding a treasure. You have a very cynical view of music discovery and buying.

Hahahaha - I thought I was the only one who did this ... granted, used to do it a lot more back in the day, but I've bought plenty of things new and used based on a cover, a label, liner notes, etc. Probably why my CD and vinyl collection take up WAY too much room in my den.

You've hit the nail on the head, my friend. Well done.
11:28 AM on 06/20/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i love physical media, but also depend on the convenience of digital and the portability that 27,000 mp3s and a 160gb ipod gives me. pros and cons.

sometimes, i think of the huge collections of records from like the 70s and how, even if i'm not listening to those records, they all meant something to someone and stand as a testament to musical culture for a period of time. then i look at my small (but growing) collection and look forward to when it will be like the older collections: expansive, full of things that mean a lot to me, and a landscape of music from my lifetime.
11:31 AM on 06/20/12
sjb2k1
User Info.
This is ridiculous. When I go record picking, sometimes I'll just get something that looks cool without ever hearing it. If it looks interesting I have to have it.I used to do this back in the day at used CD shops as well - when I listened to more bands in this genre. I would buy albums all the time without hearing a single note, some of these remain my favorites. Hey Mercedes is one of them. Likewise, I would look at band's liner notes and go through and seek out their "thank you" bands and often find gems.

Your logic is fucked. Part of the beauty of music is discovery. Sure, sometimes you'll end up buying a dud. Oh well. But sometimes you'll end up finding a treasure. You have a very cynical view of music discovery and buying.
we are nearly the same person. how old are you matt?
11:37 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
we are nearly the same person. how old are you matt?

Me be 24 yrs young. Get your record BTW?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests