Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 68.
11:37 AM on 06/20/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
My dad has a collection of like a thousand vinyl records, and he's sold only one. Which he regrets to this day, even tho it wasn't that good. I think it was like a Ringo Starr solo record, something that would be pretty bad, but he gets the urge to hear it again and can't.

So now I can't sell any of my records ever, no matter what.
good. you should only sell doubles. i've sold certain things that i've grown out of and know i won't care about, but even those are tough to ship away.
11:39 AM on 06/20/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
I have only sold a single album ever, which was 30 Second To Mars' second album. Having said that, I have two copies of Saosin's S/T and should get rid of one.
11:40 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Hahahaha - I thought I was the only one who did this ... granted, used to do it a lot more back in the day, but I've bought plenty of things new and used based on a cover, a label, liner notes, etc. Probably why my CD and vinyl collection take up WAY too much room in my den.

You've hit the nail on the head, my friend. Well done.

Yeah don't use liner notes much anymore because there are other, better ways of finding like bands. But for old vinyl I'll find just wicked rare shit that looks goofy or trippy or interesting and just buy it.
11:42 AM on 06/20/12
sjb2k1
User Info.
Me be 24 yrs young. Get your record BTW?
you are younger than you seem

and yes, thank you so much, looks and sounds great! what's next for Forged Artifacts?
11:49 AM on 06/20/12
collideoscopic
User Info.
Yeah don't use liner notes much anymore because there are other, better ways of finding like bands. But for old vinyl I'll find just wicked rare shit that looks goofy or trippy or interesting and just buy it.

I remember when I was 8 or 9, I was flipping through my dad's record collection and saw King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" record - it smelled old, and had this super creepy painted red face on it. It totally freaked me out, and then I put it on and loved it. I should probably find that bitch on vinyl again so I can scare the shit outta one of mine ...
11:50 AM on 06/20/12
*dannyg*
dannygcanfly
User Info.
I have tattoos of three bands lyrics on (Thursday, The Receiving End of Sirens, the New Frontiers) and subsequently, this means I had to own whatever I could of their catalog on vinyl (just because I feel like it appeals to that kid in me who still wants to catch 'em all).

That being said, it's my own little code that, unless truly pressed, I probably will never part with any of those vinyls, because their music has made such an impact on me that I literally have it with me forever, on my skin. But I also follow the same faux-code with my This Will Destroy You Self-Titled vinyl, because I wanted it so badly but could never find it, and my dad got it for me for Christmas. That album also just affected me deeply. Same with Fireworks' Gospel, and the Chariot's Long Live.

CDs I feel like I could get rid of and not really ever care, except for the really cool packaged ones I have like Razia's Shadow, Act 3 of the Dear Hunter, Infinity on High, and some of the lesser-printed EPs like Pneuma, Horror Show, etc.

I do download a lot of music. But, at some point, if the record/band really hits me, I at least attempt to buy the vinyl. I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's that complicated. We have the opportunity to almost instantly get something that has always cost money, for free. People, while I think we like to pretend we're mostly good, have a hard time resisting that. But yeah, that's my little stuff.
I agree with all of this... I have Everclear tattoos, & I have all of their full length CD's in my physical collection.

Do I download music illegally? Absolutely. A few times a week probably. But its less often now because of Spotify (which I love, who doesn't?!). If I don't like something, I trash it. If I like it, I get into a band, go see them when they're on tour, get some merch (albums, t-shirts, whatever), and talk to the people who make the music I listen to on a daily basis. Music saved my life...

The very first job I got was the summer after 10th grade. I couldn't drive then, so EVERY DAY after work, I'd con my sister into taking me to different record stores before we went home. I had no money at the end of the summer, and way too many boxes full of albums. And that's just fine with me.
11:52 AM on 06/20/12
*dannyg*
dannygcanfly
User Info.
I can remember being SUPER young doing the cassette recording thing, but I have no idea where those tapes went. And my generation was all about mixed CD's. As Travis Morrison said, I never would have had a girlfriend without those haha.
11:54 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
you are younger than you seem

and yes, thank you so much, looks and sounds great! what's next for Forged Artifacts?

Well I act like a child most of the time haha

Glad to hear it! Just put preorders up for FA - 002 which is an electronic project called Olsen Twinns - real good stuff. It's not on wax though - they're limited edition hand screen printed CDs he's putting out before he goes on tour.

Other than that I have two albums going into production. Both are stellar.
11:58 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I remember when I was 8 or 9, I was flipping through my dad's record collection and saw King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" record - it smelled old, and had this super creepy painted red face on it. It totally freaked me out, and then I put it on and loved it. I should probably find that bitch on vinyl again so I can scare the shit outta one of mine ...

The King fucking rocks.

A neighbor who lived across from my grandma was a music teacher and he dumped 6 boxes full of records in the process of moving. My gram being the lovely lady she is snagged em all for me. Found some awesome jams in there - some old devo, kraftwerk and funkadelic. Awesome score. In one of the boxes was a factory sealed Thriller album. Yeah...it's amazing what people throe away
12:25 PM on 06/20/12
sjb2k1
User Info.
Well I act like a child most of the time haha

Glad to hear it! Just put preorders up for FA - 002 which is an electronic project called Olsen Twinns - real good stuff. It's not on wax though - they're limited edition hand screen printed CDs he's putting out before he goes on tour.

Other than that I have two albums going into production. Both are stellar.
cool, i'll check 'em out later

any hints???
12:28 PM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

any hints???

Yeah I can tell ya...

Observer Drift from Minneapolis
Canopies from Milwaukee

You can find all their stuff on bandcamp
12:30 PM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

any hints???

http://canopies.bandcamp.com/

I'm friends with these dudes
12:32 PM on 06/20/12
sjb2k1
User Info.
awesome rock on
01:19 PM on 06/20/12
pulsar
User Info.
I got my first tape (Aersomith's Pump) when I was 8 years old. My happiest memories from my childhood are my mom taking me to Tower Records in LA once a week to buy a new tape (being that she was a single mom working 2 jobs in the 90s, being able to buy me a cassette every week was a big deal).

When Napster debuted, I didn't have internet access, so I didn't have a chance to use it. A lot of my friends with money used and abused it, and I found myself thinking "If they have the money for fancy computers and stuff, why don't they just buy the CDs?" That was the biggest turn-off for me, and it's a point that Lowery brings up in his article.. I stream music on Spotify constantly, but if I hear something new I like, I will make the effort to go and buy it.
02:09 PM on 06/20/12
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
The day I can return an album for being terrible is the day I will start buying music more frequently again.

You're an idiot. Plain and simple.

I think the physical medium should always exist and I will always buy it over digital, expensive or not. I think Jason brought up a point that someone else made about how are you supposed to pass down music to your kids digitally? All they see is the name of songs and text, as opposed to packaging that will catch their eye or the design of an album that will get them interested. It just won't work handing them an iPod or whatever we'll have decades down the road.

And to whoever said they need the digital medium over physical because of how much they listen to - I understand having that for the convenience at work or on the go. But I don't see the point in listening to an album you like once or twice then moving on to something else and so on and so on. To appreciate the art, I don't think it should be something that can be taking in on the surface (unless it's like pop music or something along those lines) or in passing. I feel bad for people that do feel that way.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests