Password

Comments: Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 66 of 66
02:13 AM on 06/21/12
Lazzaritis
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As awkward as this might be.

I'd probably save my copy of Lies For The Liars by The Used. It reminds me of sitting in a car for almost two weeks driving through WA, ID, & Montana to Yellowstone National Park for the first time and when I recently went back, I found myself continuously listening to it again.

It was a record I bought on a whim in.. either Hot Topic or Sam Goody shortly after the album came out and even though I hadn't listened to the band in a long time, I bought it for the art and the additional DVD that came with it. It's actually come to be my favorite album of theirs.

I like being able to access all my music with a flick of my thumb (I got $55 in iTunes GCs for Xmas and spent all of it), but there's something about holding that tangible copy of any album (be it tape, CD, or Vinyl) that's so.. fulfilling.
07:58 AM on 06/21/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I agree that the music industry model is dated and ridiculous, and it clearly doesn't work. But putting all that aside, I think musicians should be paid for their art. Just because music is available for free on the internet doesn't mean there's any justification for stealing it.

Maybe we're on the same page. I realize now that you were talking about the industry, and not necessarily the artists themselves.
Of course artists should be paid, but there's no way the old system could just be brought back, and labels trying to do that are going to fail, while the ones who adapt to the changing industry are going to stay alive. We're in a transition period, mostly elongated by industry that does not want to change because they were much more profitable before.
10:22 AM on 06/21/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
So you hate innovation and changing of a broken industry when new forms of distribution that could make everything easier and better become available? You think we should be clinging to the past instead of accepting how these changes cannot be stopped, but can be improved to the benefit of artists everywhere? That is the mentality that will prevent art.

check please
09:23 AM on 06/22/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
This is the mentality that will prevent art. This is the mentality that exists unfortunately. This is the mentality that will prevent a lot of people's favorite bands/artists that could have been.
What are you talking about? The internet has allowed art to exist more than it could before. I buy music, but I'm in the vast minority.

People are NEVER going to buy music again. It's been free for too long. It's time to come up with new creative ways to make money in the industry.

Your response is absolutely ridiculous and simply wrong.
02:57 PM on 06/22/12
SomethingLikeTJ
Accents
User Info.
This was a really good read Adam. The back and forth on these issues the past few days has hit home quite a bit, and I felt compelled to type something up myself on the matter:

http://accentsmusic.tumblr.com/post/...e-go-from-here
04:19 PM on 06/22/12
heavyd
noireallydontcare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What are you talking about? The internet has allowed art to exist more than it could before. I buy music, but I'm in the vast minority.

People are NEVER going to buy music again. It's been free for too long. It's time to come up with new creative ways to make money in the industry.

Your response is absolutely ridiculous and simply wrong.

No. It's not wrong. There's already a considerable amount of music that isn't being created because of this very problem. Kids can make a million excuses justifying theft. But there ARE consequences. Just ask some of your favorite bands that have recently broken up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos