AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Green Day News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Green Day Discusses New Sound on Upcoming Trilogy

Posted by - 12:35 PM on 06/20/12
It seems as though Green Day is moving toward a "more power pop" sound for its upcoming trilogy of records, and consciously did not want to go back to the styles of Dookie or Kerplunk.
From the InterviewWhat did you think Green Day needed to do next, after American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown? You couldn’t do a third punk opera in a row.
People ask me all the time. Even my son asked me, “Dad, would you ever go back to playing songs like from [1994’s] Dookie and [1992’s] Kerplunk?” I love those records. I love the punk stuff I grew up on. But there are so many bands who make the mistake – “We’re going back, old-school.” Well, that’s all you’re doing. You already did it. So we’re changing the guitar sound. We’re not going with the big Marshall-amp thing. We wanted something punchier, more power pop – somewhere between AC/DC and the early Beatles.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 181
12:36 PM on 06/20/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
If my interest in this was measured in the form of a video game life bar, it would be slowly dwindling. Like I am in the Viridian Forest and my Squirtle got poisoned by an annoying Weedle...I walk around the forest, health slightly decreasing with every step.
12:40 PM on 06/20/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
They're hurting me
12:42 PM on 06/20/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Nothing wrong with pop music if you do it well.
12:44 PM on 06/20/12
jnkbondtrader
User Info.
whenever anyone says something sounds like sandinista! they are always terribly, terribly wrong.
12:47 PM on 06/20/12
brent_ster
My Dinosaur Life
User Info.
If my interest in this was measured in the form of a video game life bar, it would be slowly dwindling. Like I am in the Viridian Forest and my Squirtle got poisoned by an annoying Weedle...I walk around the forest, health slightly decreasing with every step.
lmfao, best post /thread.
12:49 PM on 06/20/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Possibly the best post I have ever read on this site.
12:51 PM on 06/20/12
delvec19
i wanna hear the same song twice
User Info.
Since they're releasing 3 albums, why couldn't they appease most of their fans by having 1 dedicated punk album?
12:54 PM on 06/20/12
I'm DC
I hope this terrifies you.
User Info.
Seriously, people still care about Green Day?
12:55 PM on 06/20/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
I'm actually excited for this. American Idiot is fantastic and 21st Century Breakdown is good. To be totally honest I only really listen those albums and Dookie with small hints of Warning, along with all of their hits of course.
12:58 PM on 06/20/12
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This should be fun.

12:58 PM on 06/20/12
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
That's what you get for picking Squirtle over Bulbasaur.
01:00 PM on 06/20/12
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
User Info.
How does them doing "power pop" qualify as a new sound? Isn't that exactly what American idiot and 21CB were? I mean they've never been hardcore (except for maybe Platypus" off Nimrod). Green day's always been a power pop band.
01:01 PM on 06/20/12
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
User Info.
Seriously, people still care about Green Day?

Yeah man they're such sellouts man I only liked them before they got popular. Man.
01:02 PM on 06/20/12
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
i dunno what the problem is with this, sounds like it'll be pretty good to me. quit being so close minded. foxboro hot tubs was along the lines that he's talking about, and that record is the best thing they've released since warning.

as long as the songs are simple it'll probably be pretty good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos