Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 246
10:31 AM on 06/23/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.

this genre is the new hair metal, and these bands are petty derivatives of a style that was popular 10 years ago with any sort of innovation sucked out.
10:31 AM on 06/23/12
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
I don't see it. It's obvious that the two images use the same concept, but aside from that, the images themselves are clearly different and reflect completely unique styles of color, shading, shape, texture, and linework. I rolled my eyes super hard when the article talked about the band "knowingly deceiving" another artist. They found a concept, they liked it, the dude wasn't available, so they made their own version of that concept to use. "Girl floating over broken house" isn't a copyrightable idea, and beyond the idea, the two works are totally different.
both of them have a house bursting apart with a body flying out of it, how are they not the same?

the color, shading and textures being different doesn't mean the main image wasn't copied
10:34 AM on 06/23/12
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
exactly what they do with their music too
If this thread was a contest, you'd be the winner.
10:34 AM on 06/23/12
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
this genre is the new hair metal, and these bands are petty derivatives of a style that was popular 10 years ago with any sort of innovation sucked out.

What genre exactly? This band isn't exactly an Escape the Fate or Asking Alexandria. I think they deserve a little more credit than anything like that.
10:36 AM on 06/23/12
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
User Info.
sucks, this would have been amazing as the cover art. not defending PTV in any way, but i wonder why the artist was unavailable to work things out with them in the first place.
Maybe he listened to Pierce the Veil.
10:38 AM on 06/23/12
tbkidd
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't see it. It's obvious that the two images use the same concept, but aside from that, the images themselves are clearly different and reflect completely unique styles of color, shading, shape, texture, and linework. I rolled my eyes super hard when the article talked about the band "knowingly deceiving" another artist. They found a concept, they liked it, the dude wasn't available, so they made their own version of that concept to use. "Girl floating over broken house" isn't a copyrightable idea, and beyond the idea, the two works are totally different.
This, in all it's entirety.

The only true similarities between these two pieces are "Broken House" and "Girl Floating." And to be honest, the first image looks more to me like a broken church than a broken house. I'll agree, the theme is very similar, but otherwise, they are in radically different directions.

Mirrored pieces of artwork are virtually everywhere. Had this not been presented as a blatant "They stole my work!" case, chances are if any Pierce the Veil fans came across the "original" after seeing Collide with the Sky, the first thought would have been "Wow, that's kind of similar to Pierce the Veil's new album cover! Neat!"

I mean, I'm all about maintaining the sanctity of artistic works; and if it comes out that PTV actually did approach this guy, liked his piece, couldn't get a hold of him, and then had a new artist ripoff the original, I'll agree, that's pretty shitty. But I just don't see that turning out to be the full story.
10:38 AM on 06/23/12
bentleyj98
Jimmy Bentley
User Info.
This
10:39 AM on 06/23/12
tym
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
did you guys not read it? They asked Daniel to do it, he couldn't and then they hired someone else to copy his original artwork. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED. There is no gray area
10:40 AM on 06/23/12
werealldudes19
I'm best known for failure
User Info.
What genre exactly? This band isn't exactly an Escape the Fate or Asking Alexandria. I think they deserve a little more credit than anything like that.
agree. can't stand when people take any band that screams and has riffage as one genre
10:42 AM on 06/23/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
agree. can't stand when people take any band that screams and has riffage as one genre

risecore
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.

not much
tbkidd
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
did you guys not read it? They asked Daniel to do it, he couldn't and then they hired someone else to copy his original artwork. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED. There is no gray area
That's what happened, according to the artist making allegations. That is exclusively one side of the story and in no way makes any of it fact. I'm not discrediting the dude, but it doesn't mean everything he said is 100% accurate.
10:43 AM on 06/23/12
MJB12
Silenced.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And yes, it's clearly a ripoff, but not by definition "identical", so that term needs to be avoided from a legal standpoint.
10:44 AM on 06/23/12
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Regardless, I like the concept a lot. I haven't even heard the album yet, but I can tell it's gonna be a pretty solid composition. The artwork reminds me of this time we had an earthquake up here in Chiburbia and my instincts had me jump up. I'll never forget that though, as earthquakes are pretty uncommon up here.

Anyway, wah wah wah

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"
- Pablo Picasso
10:45 AM on 06/23/12
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
First picture is cooler. I don't really care though the album is their best effort.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos