Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 194
02:53 PM on 06/24/12
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
So people making money off their creations being played(Literally, just being played.) live drives you insane? A lot of things must drive you insane then.
DJ's make a fuck ton of money to hit play, while most touring bands playing instruments don't make shit. Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Obviously they should make money, but over 100k a show is absurd.
02:54 PM on 06/24/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Anyone knows it's not about the performance but about the ambience. It's a party, not a concert.
If you think that is wrong, blame the people who want to dance.
02:56 PM on 06/24/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
I cringe at the thought of people paying to see guys like him and Sonny in concert. What's the point when they're only pressing play, and then just wave their hands around? Seems like a waste to me. Light shows aren't enough, I want to see someone sing or play some instruments.
03:02 PM on 06/24/12
MarkJ801
User Info.
I cringe at the thought of people paying to see guys like him and Sonny in concert. What's the point when they're only pressing play, and then just wave their hands around? Seems like a waste to me. Light shows aren't enough, I want to see someone sing or play some instruments.
This. Even if your music doesn't have vocals, maybe add some anyways during your live shows. Sort of like Combichrist does. They don't have that much vocals in their recordings, but he is singing or doing something during their whole shows.
03:03 PM on 06/24/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
EDM is by far the laziest genre of music to make it big in.

Beatmatching and mixing is such an overrated "skill". All EDM tracks are built in the same style (intro/build/breakdown/drop/repeat). So the selection of tracks to fit a particular mood means little since they all flow the same way, and the actual transitions from track to track last a handul of seconds.

And then you have these DJ's giving these interviews where they say they're looking out into the crowd trying to get a vibe to see which track they should spin next. Fucking bullshit lol. They're dancing...what else are they going to do?

The lighting is designed by professionals and not the DJ.

Deadmau5 is also wrong on producing because he recycles the same beats and loops. Listen to the drum/clap in "Arguru." That same sound is in every other song he writes.

Armin van Buuren is a huge DJ star and Benno from Rank 1 writes a bunch of his productions, yet Armin slaps his name on it. Some talent there...
03:04 PM on 06/24/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
DJ's make a fuck ton of money to hit play, while most touring bands playing instruments don't make shit. Yeah, it's kind of annoying. Obviously they should make money, but over 100k a show is absurd.
it isn't the DJs fault
03:05 PM on 06/24/12
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
EDM is by far the laziest genre of music to make it big in.

Beatmatching and mixing is such an overrated "skill". All EDM tracks are built in the same style (intro/build/breakdown/drop/repeat). So the selection of tracks to fit a particular mood means little since they all flow the same way, and the actual transitions from track to track last a handul of seconds.

And then you have these DJ's giving these interviews where they say they're looking out into the crowd trying to get a vibe to see which track they should spin next. Fucking bullshit lol. They're dancing...what else are they going to do?

The lighting is designed by professionals and not the DJ.

Deadmau5 is also wrong on producing because he recycles the same beats and loops. Listen to the drum/clap in "Arguru." That same sound is in every other song he writes.

Armin van Buuren is a huge DJ star and Benno from Rank 1 writes a bunch of his productions, yet Armin slaps his name on it. Some talent there...
you're completely ignoring the fact that for anyone to be able to go on a stage and hit play and do these easy things they have to make their own music that kids dig, and that isn't lazy.
03:07 PM on 06/24/12
Mr Hox182
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not into EDM at all but that was interesting to read. He seems very in touch with the reality of what he does, but still kind of douchey

You would be if you had robot ears...
03:08 PM on 06/24/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you're completely ignoring the fact that for anyone to be able to go on a stage and hit play and do these easy things they have to make their own music that kids dig, and that isn't lazy.

If you look at most modern EDM productions the melodies are very simple and linear. Some of these melodies wouldn't take long to think up, unlike writing lyrics and then matching it to music.

Deadmau5 plays only his music at live shows. But other guys like David Guetta, Tiesto and AvB play other people's tracks. That's REALLY lazy.
03:09 PM on 06/24/12
Jake Jenkins
User Info.
If you look at most modern EDM productions the melodies are very simple and linear. Some of these melodies wouldn't take long to think up, unlike writing lyrics and then matching it to music.

Deadmau5 plays only his music at live shows. But other guys like David Guetta, Tiesto and AvB play other people's tracks. That's REALLY lazy.
this is the most ignorant post i've ever seen and i'm just going to ignore it.
03:11 PM on 06/24/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have nothing to say.

tsk tsk
03:18 PM on 06/24/12
CTRL+ALT+DANCE
User Info.
Idk, like I said in the SHM thread, it's disappointing to hear pre recorded tracks like that.
Might as well see Britney Spears.
(at least when I saw mau5 it was free. thank you Virgin Mobile.)
03:21 PM on 06/24/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
i appreciate what he had to say
03:21 PM on 06/24/12
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
i'm not surprised
03:25 PM on 06/24/12
mrnubnub
User Info.
Yeah, I'm sure the DJ is an asshole for forcibly making thousands of people come to his show of recycled beats.
You can use the same fucking logic for a pop punk/alt rock band. A guy can't sing, and the band plays some beginner instrumentation, and 1000 kids are singing along? Not to mention the scene is over-saturated with bands like that. And while maybe playing live is more intensive for a band than a producer, I can guarantee most producers do a lot more in studio than some of those bands, so it evens out, really.
Why aren't thousands of kids watching BTBAM by that logic (actually, there might be), or any mathcore band with insane technical skill?
Why do hundreds of thousands of people come out to see LMFAO who basically contribute nothing to the music?

You can't blame an artist for the demand. Especially in a genre like EDM where there isn't much to do on stage; as the dude says, few people are making new tracks from scratch. You can't experiment on stage when kids are basically at a glorified nightclub where they know (expect, really) the setlist is going to be tracks from who they came to see.

You gotta have different perspective on different types of music and scenes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos