AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Legal News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Brother Ali Occupies Court

Posted by - 11:20 AM on 06/25/12
Brother Ali was recently detained for participating in an Occupy Homes protest. His court date is scheduled for July 6.

Edit: You can read the interview concerning his arrest here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:40 AM on 06/25/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Brother Ali is awesome. One of the knidest people Ive ever met. I met him before shadows on the sun came out, he was touring with Eyedea. He sat on the stage before he went on to perform. I handed him his CD and asjkedif he would sign it, he smiled and did so and said "i hope you enjoy it, next time i run in to you, tell me what our favorite track is" In fact all of of the Rhyme Sayers dudes have been the most stand up people.
11:43 AM on 06/25/12
NorthstarPark
Jiggin'
User Info.
I saw him at SXSW, I'm not really into this type of music but he puts on a good show.
11:59 AM on 06/25/12
B.Leibo
User Info.
Eyedea was pretty stand up too - most of them are legit nice people.
12:03 PM on 06/25/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Can't believe they still arrest for civil disobedience.
12:09 PM on 06/25/12
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Never heard of Brother Ali but he seems like a pretty rad dude.
12:17 PM on 06/25/12
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
Occupy Our Homes is the most legit and important branch of the movement right now. I haven't taken part because I'm trying to finish college without any more arrests, but those people are the real heroes.

12:19 PM on 06/25/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Occupy Our Homes is the most legit and important branch of the movement right now. I haven't taken part because I'm trying to finish college without any more arrests, but those people are the real heroes.

I'll try to read up on this. Haven't been too impressed with the more vague OWS. My friends in Cinci have been working with homeless people, housing coalitions, impoverished communities, etc. on a real grassroots level (literally going door to door).

I assume this is similar by its name.
12:44 PM on 06/25/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Never heard of Brother Ali but he seems like a pretty rad dude.

Get his album shadows on the sun

Check out his song " room with a view"

Id post it but im on my phone
12:47 PM on 06/25/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I sent this in 5 times on Friday .... I'm assuming it didn't get posted because a certain staff member was monitoring the news uploads. Fuck.

There's a long interview with him about this as well. Brother is a good man.
12:54 PM on 06/25/12
unnameworthy
Gypsy Wizard
User Info.
I'll try to read up on this. Haven't been too impressed with the more vague OWS. My friends in Cinci have been working with homeless people, housing coalitions, impoverished communities, etc. on a real grassroots level (literally going door to door).

I assume this is similar by its name.
I was very involved in the first phase of Occupy last fall, and I think the indefinite occupations and vagueness were both very important at that time, as a public forum was a necessary first step for a people's movement. But I think at this point that more targeted actions by specific groups are the most effective use of energy.

Occupy Homes people have been restoring foreclosed families to their homes/keeping them from being evicted, with the goal of drawing enough national attention that the banks foreclosing them are forced to negotiate workable payment plans that keep the families off the streets. It looks like Brother Ali was arrested at the Cruz family's home, which has been one of the most documented ones recently.
01:00 PM on 06/25/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It was the Cruz family. Get a link up of the extended interview he did once he got out of jail.
01:13 PM on 06/25/12
sakattack123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
01:49 PM on 06/25/12
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
There is a video of him getting arrested. I saw it the other day on facebook POS or Electric Fetus posted it. I'll see if I can find it again.

EDIT: found it

04:06 PM on 06/25/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
It was the Cruz family. Get a link up of the extended interview he did once he got out of jail.
The Cruz family?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version