Password

Album Review
Yawn - Happy Tears EP Album Cover

Yawn - Happy Tears EP

Reviewed by
Yawn - Happy Tears EP
Record Label: Feel Trip Records
Release Date: July 24, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Infectious. That's the easiest way to describe the new EP Happy Tears from Chicago's Yawn.

From the opening few seconds of the cylindrical "Ganymede," and its sweetly affecting verses, there's something incredibly inviting about this music. When vocalist Adam Gil says, "And you don't have to think it all," it is as if he is asking the listener to just kick back and let the music wash all over them. The only problem with "Ganymede," is that it is without a doubt the strongest song on the EP and makes the following four songs somewhat inferior. Of the remaining three the second best is most probably "Take It With Me," a teetering and gossamery orchestration that draws on vocalist Gil's reedy vocals, gorgeous harmonies, and an array of twinkling instrumentation.

The shimmering "Momma's Boy," draws its steam from a wordless chorus, while the tribal "Then They Come," is jaunty, jubilant and frolics along with a swerve and zest that is ultimately infectious, intoxicating and wildly rewarding. Happy Tears ends with the psychedelic "Yabis," which features an assortment of blips, bleeps and video game noises, and sounds like the end credits to Grand Theft Auto.

On Happy Tears, the Chicago quartet has indeed surpassed their prior effort Open Season, which itself was criminally overlooked. This time around the band still holds onto their innate sense of melody, but the edges are smoother, the songs are more refined and the entire effort feels more cohesive. Being that Yawn is such a young band, the fact that Happy Tears is this good, means only good things are ahead. The future is decidedly bright.

Recommended If You Like Yeasayer, Animal Collective, Phoenix, Unicorns, Brian Eno, Aphex Twin

Find Them Here http://www.yawntheband.com

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
11:04 AM on 01/29/13
snowballeffect
Commissioner Gordon
User Info.
I've had the pleasure of meeting this band and let me just say that these are some of the nicest guys out there.

The video for their most popular song "Kind of Guy" is a must watch - best song I've heard in a while. Plus mad props to The Druid Beat for making such a trippy video to go with it.

http://vimeo.com/thedruidbeat/yawn-kind-of-guy

Be sure to check out their full length CD "Open Season" - can't get enough.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos