Password

Album Review

Broadway - Gentlemen's Brawl Album Cover

Broadway - Gentlemen's Brawl

Reviewed by
Broadway - Gentlemen's Brawl
Record Label: Uprising Records.
Release Date: June 19, 2012
This review is a user submitted review from Jack Appleby. You can see all of Jack Appleby's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
04:23 AM on 06/29/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
I admit that, after a few listens, I fell in love with this record.
05:27 AM on 06/29/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
yeah not a bad record. After waiting so long, it hit the spot.
06:47 AM on 06/29/12
Quijiba
User Info.
I wasn't sold right away on this record but after a couple of listens I love it. I agree with your statement though, if this came out a couple years earlier these guys would already be huge
07:05 AM on 06/29/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Love their debut, gonna listen now. Hoping that it's good...
09:06 AM on 06/29/12
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
Honestly have to say I think the review is a bit too generous. Which surprises me to say, since I love this band immensely. I didn't agree with the part about the production especially. I did hear them say they wanted to improve the sound, though, so I"ll let that slide. Either way, I'm glad it's being received well here, because I know a lot of people were complaining about the change in sound from Kingdoms.
09:09 AM on 06/29/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Honestly have to say I think the review is a bit too generous. Which surprises me to say, since I love this band immensely. I didn't agree with the part about the production especially. I did hear them say they wanted to improve the sound, though, so I"ll let that slide. Either way, I'm glad it's being received well here, because I know a lot of people were complaining about the change in sound from Kingdoms.
Really? I think the 77% is right on, especially with Thomas giving HLH's Ground Dweller a 75%. And I actually tweeted the producer, I enjoyed the guitar tone so much.

But hey, to each their own!
09:47 AM on 06/29/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Album met my expectations, but I miss the dynamics from Kingdoms. The song structures seem a lot plainer, but I suppose that's to be expected given how many of the breakdowns and screaming has been eliminated.
10:33 AM on 06/29/12
werealldudes19
I'm best known for failure
User Info.
this honestly blends together for me too much. I loved Vagrant Stories when it came out and think it's an awesome song, but that's the best. I wish they would have kept some riffage and screaming. I guess I'll have to settle for Kingdoms
11:31 AM on 06/29/12
knoxvillee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I get it, people think this album is different from Kingdoms, sure it is. But is it for the worse? Both yes and no. On the track "Gentlemen’s Brawl" we can hear a tiny bit of Mishas scream, and it's fucking rocks. That makes me wanna hear more of that "post-hardcore" style on the album. But since I really enjoy the Pop-Punk-stylish music this album is great for me. I love it, but still can't help thinking what if they went a bit more hardcore on it. Maybe next time, if there be a next time.

I feel kinda band for the band, cause if this was their first album, it would get so much positive response from people.
11:31 AM on 06/29/12
justbradley
User Info.
I will admit, I was rather skeptical when I heard "Vagrant Stories," but after a few spins, I fell hard for this record. It's upbeat, energetic, and keeps you singing along. It's great.
02:11 PM on 06/29/12
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
I still can't get into this record. I loved Kingdoms, but this just isn't as dynamic or as well done as Kingdoms. Many of the pop aspects just don't sound good to me. Although I do love "Vagrant Stories" and "Lawyered"
02:13 PM on 06/29/12
UnderclasHero
So long live us
User Info.
This is sooo good
05:38 PM on 06/29/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Really? I think the 77% is right on, especially with Thomas giving HLH's Ground Dweller a 75%. And I actually tweeted the producer, I enjoyed the guitar tone so much.

But hey, to each their own!

Perhaps I am mistaken, but didn't Thomas give Ground Dweller only like 50s range? I remember giving him crap about that. If you enjoy the guitar tones on here I recommend checking out Cameron Mizell's wiki page which has a huge list of his work of which myself and another APer upkeep. In particular, the tones on Dream On, Dreamer's Heartbound sound great.
06:09 PM on 06/29/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
disagree that this is better than ground dweller. still think the record would have sounded better a year ago. not that it's bad, i just think the delay really hurt how i received it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos