AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Happy Body Slow Brain - Sleepy EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Happy Body Slow Brain - Sleepy EP

Reviewed by: Jack Appleby (06/29/12)
Happy Body Slow Brain - Sleepy EP
Record Label: Self-Released; Vinyl from In The Clouds Records.
Release Date: June 22, 2012

You have to hand it to Happy Body Slow Brain. Rather than giving away b-sides or saving tracks for their sophomore album, the band created a themed release that utilized extra tunes in a clever way. The six lullabies comprising Sleepy EP should appease both existing fans and those searching for sweet dreams.

The pendulum swings from the first hit of “We’re Really Just Programmed Robots (Love Is All Around You),” a mesmerizing opener that foreshadows the release’s serene vibe. Do not operate heavy machinery while listening to the track, as it will cause drowsiness. “Been So Long” is another synth-heavy track from the ambient side of the band; I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the last cut from their debut record, as it fits that album’s tones near perfectly. My personal favorite of the new cuts is “A Song Of Consolation” – I love the way the bare bones guitar-and-vocals approach transitions to a full band outro that lasts more than two minutes.

Interspersed between the newbies are acoustic versions of Dreams Of Water fan-favorites. The gem of the bunch is “Drag This On And On (Rain Song),” which I would have never pegged for a bare-bones translation. The song definitely holds up when stripped-down, giving light to a song many may have missed on the first record. Though “Never Loved” sports a demo tag, don’t be alarmed – it has a metronome, but it’s really just a straightforward acoustic version. The same can’t be said for “Move At Different Speeds (On The Road);” a tempo drop made this song a full 30 seconds longer than the original, but upped the soothing factor tenfold. None of these three tracks take precedence over their full band forefathers, but all are welcome additions to the catalog.

If you loved Dreams Of Water and want more from Happy Body Slow Brain, pick up Sleepy EP. If you’re looking for something to soundtrack your slumber, pick up Sleepy EP. G’night, all.

Additional InformationPurchase Sleepy EP digitally via HBSB's BandCamp or on 10" Vinyl from In The Clouds Records

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:32 AM on 06/29/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Had to give the 10 for Reviewer Tilt - my love for this band is well-documented.
03:27 PM on 06/29/12
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
User Info.
Had to give the 10 for Reviewer Tilt - my love for this band is well-documented.
As it should be.

I love this EP. A Song of Consolation is so beautiful, the other new songs are awesome as well, and the alternate/acoustic versions of the songs on DoW are really nice. I can't praise this band enough.
08:42 AM on 07/03/12
nateisbliss
Impulse Artists
User Info.
excellent EP. excellent review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives