AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Wesley Blaylock - Wesley Blaylock Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Wesley Blaylock - Wesley Blaylock

Reviewed by: Jack Appleby (07/03/12)
Wesley Blaylock - Self-Titled
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: June 26, 2012

Wesley Blaylock has always been a likable guy. That innocent voice of his has been earning ears with Deas Vail for years now, and a little off-time has allowed us a listen to something different. On his solo acoustic EP, Blaylock delivers five little ditties that show a deft touch and strong understanding of his personal talents.

As a showcase of his voice, the EP succeeds magnificently. Wesley's vocals may have been a bit polarizing with his band, but he shows mastery of his craft here. Every note is gorgeous, well-placed, and powerful in its subtlety. The minimalist backing music only accentuates how special of a singer Blaylock is, carrying the emotional load with only light acoustics and meek percussion. Randomly select any of these songs to hear an awe-inspiring and well-trained voice do what it does best.

My favorite of the bunch is the quiet "Falling Over You." It's an unbearably endearing love song, with extra mushiness via harmonies from hiswife and Deas Vail bandmate, Laura Blaylock. I had chills when the percussion dropped out for the first chorus, similar to my reaction at the vocal runs between verses. Aside from the Copeland-esque opener "Asleep From The Wheel," this is the standout.

As fantastic as Wesley's vocal delivery is, the EP does tend to blur together, especially on repeated listens. The acoustic arrangements are a bit too similar and simple - it's expected (and frankly acceptable) with this type of music, though interspersing a bit more energy here and there would have helped break things up. The music certainly serves a purpose, though, as it should find a place at quiet night and candle-lit dinner.

Wesley Blaylock's first solo release is a valiant effort, with songs sure to sooth us all. You'll just have to be in the mood for it.

Recommended If You Like Deas Vail, Copeland, Sucre, rainy days, sleepless nights, and romantic evenings.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:51 AM on 07/03/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
one of my favorite voices in music...
12:53 PM on 07/03/12
cholly
User Info.
sweet review, I'll have to check this out. Wes' voice is amazing.
08:21 AM on 07/05/12
NathanH
User Info.
This is really good as long as i pretend that its a girl singing haha :)
05:36 AM on 07/11/12
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Great review. I forgot about this release and really need to get hold of it soon!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests