|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Upon This Dawning - 07.05.12
|Upon This Dawning is Fearless Records' newest addition to the label's popular roster. The Italian metalcore band has some big things in store for the 2nd half of 2012 and we're very grateful to have had the band talk to us while they're gearing up for all of their upcoming plans.|
1. Introduce yourself and your role in the band.
Hey guys, we're Upon This Dawning from Verona, Italy. Giani (vocals), Teo (vocals & guitar), Carlo (guitars), Matty (bass), Luca (drums), Andrea (keyboards).
2. You recently signed to Fearless Records. What made you choose them over anyone else?
Well, they really liked our video of "Of Human Action" and we've been so lucky to get a signing contract to Fearless cause it's always been our favorite label. When we started the band we listened to a lot of Alesana, A Skylit Drive, The Maine and all the Fearless bands.. and it's crazy that we're part of the family now, especially cause it's very difficult for an overseas band to get signed with an American label! We're so stoked about that.
3. You've got a new album coming out this fall. Can you give us any details on it?
Yeah, we started working on this album like a year ago and it has been recorded in North Carolina with our producer Drew Fulk. The sound is pretty much the same as our single. A few songs are heavier than "Of Human Action", and a couple of songs sound less heavy. Almost all of our lyrics are about friendship and brotherhood cause that's the most important thing we have and what we believe in. We worked really hard on this album and now that it's done we can say we're so proud of it! Definitely can't wait to release it and let you guys hear it!
4. Being from Italy, you don't have the advantage of touring in the US too often. How do you plan to build your audience in the US during your time in the US?
We're actually planning to move to California pretty soon, we will rent a house over there so we can tour the states pretty easily and we don't need to go back to Italy when the tours end. It's kinda hard but Fearless and Artery are helping us a lot.
5. Do you find any advantages or disadvantages from being overseas? Does it help at all bringing in new influences and not trying to sound like everyone else?
There's some advantages from being overseas cause people can feel it when they listen to our music, and they remember us as the Italian band, so that's pretty cool! There's also some disadvantages though, especially in the writing process. Writing lyrics in another language is not so easy but we're proud of what we wrote so far. We decided to write in english cause you can definitely reach more people and Italian doesn't sound good at all for this kind of music.
6. What is the Italian music scene like?
Unfortunately this kind of music is not that big in Italy, so it's pretty difficult for a band to grow up and become big. The European scene in general is pretty good though!
7. Can we expect to hear new music on your US tour plans?
Sure! We'll be playing only songs from our new album!
8. What are your plans for the rest of 2012?
The album is done and It's coming out this fall! We're gonna release a new single very soon which features some awesome guest vocals.
We also have US tour dates booked that will be announced soon. We're so excited to come there and meet all of our American fans!
9. Let's have a little bit of fun...I see that you're looking for places to eat in the US. Where have you tried and where do you want to go? Do you have any fears or things you like/dislike about the US?
Haha well when we were in North Carolina to record the album we tried iHop, Qdoba's (the best one), Chili's, Krispy Kreme etc.. all of them are amazing! Pizza is pretty different but still good. The craziest thing is that we have a pizza called "American pizza" here in Italy, which has french fries on it, but no one knows about that!! French fries pizza doesn't even exist there haha.
10. Anything else you want to say?
Sure, thank you so much for this interview and thanks to all of our amazing fans! Can't wait to meet all of you guys in the US to hang out and party all together ;). Follow us on tumblr at uponthisdawning.com, twitter & instagram @UponThisDawning and don't forget to become our fans on facebook.com/uponthisdawning. Love y'all!
10:36 AM on 07/06/12
i'm really stoked to see what they bring to the US! Thank you Fearless! lol
More From This Author
Buy the Music