AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Quietdrive - 11.07.07

Quietdrive - 11.07.07

Interviewed by
Quietdrive - 11.07.07AP: Congratulations on going out on your first headlining tour – do you guys feel any of the pressure that comes along with that?

QD: Yeah, because we have to take care of all these bands—well, actually we don’t babysit them, but it’s our first headlining tour and we’ve never done that before.

AP: Do you prefer headlining or supporting? What are the pros and cons of each?

QD: I don’t know. Supporting’s so much fun because there’s not as much pressure, but when you’re headlining, the show’s about your band.

AP: How’d you go about finding and selecting the supporting bands on the bill? Can you tell us a little bit about each band as well?

QD: Well, we played with My American Heart a while ago, like a year and a half or two years ago and we really like their music, so that was kind of an obvious choice for us because we’d never toured with them before and we wanted to do that, and same with Just Surrender, we really like their music. House of Fools we picked up about two weeks right before the tour, those guys are great.

AP: Have you noticed the success of “Time After Time” in certain markets helping out when it comes to drawing crowds?

QD: It’s weird, if “Time After Time” plays in a market where we’ve never played before, it doesn’t really affect the crowd as much, but if it gets played in a market which we’ve toured heavily over the past few years, there’s just a huge flux of people. It kind of just strengthens our listener base.

AP: You’re probably sick about hearing this question, but a lot of our readers were interested in your take on gaining success through a cover song.

QD: I think I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. We like music, we like playing music every day, and whatever allows us to do that, we’re gonna do that. Whether or not a label that we sign to wants to make a decision based upon their monetary factors, they can go ahead and do that.

AP: Other people were wondering if the single choice was yours or the label’s?

QD: It was the label’s. We wanted “Rise From the Ashes” to be our first single and that didn’t pan out as well as we would’ve liked.

AP: I swear I’ll quit talking about “Time After Time,” but do you think people might not take the band as seriously if you gain your success through a cover song, e.g. Alien Ant Farm?

QD: I could see where that would be an issue, but I think people try to think of the worst case scenario for a band sometimes, rather than the best case scenario. A lot of bands have done cover songs as a breakout song—Nirvana is one example. I also know that Alien Ant Farm and Limp Bizkit did as well, but we try to focus on what we can do to spread our music to other people, and that’s all that matters.

AP: A couple readers were wondering if you think that a “real” music video for “Time After Time” would’ve helped more than the live one you have out at the moment?

QD: I don’t know – we had a couple ideas and we were going to go with some of them, but the live video just kind of captured what we want people to see.

AP: What are your favorite and least favorite parts about being on the road.

QD: I love being someplace new every day. When you’re in the same monotonous job every day, I just couldn’t live like that and had to get out and go places. Even when I go home for like two weeks, I just get kind of claustrophobic I guess.

AP: Any good tour stories from this tour?

QD: We did have an occasion where we were in York, PA when we had a deranged woman walk downstairs with a 9mm beretta. We were all drinking and playing pool at the time, and our manager snuck up from behind her and grabbed the gun from her, and it turns out that she was—

Kirby: Only after I left my whole band out to the wolves by running into the weeds--

QD: Kirby our guitar player saw this woman run into the house with a beretta and ran for his life—thanks for the phone call Matt! You know, you could’ve given me a phone call, text message, anything—it would’ve been extremely helpful.

AP: Do you ever get approached when you’re out and about?

QD: You know, we actually get approached a lot at gas stations—“Are you in a band?” Nope, this is my running crew. We are runners.

AP: What are your upcoming tour plans for the next few months? Any favorite cities to play?

QD: Let’s see, we’re going to the west coast for a week and a half, going to Arizona, going to Texas, we love the west coast.

AP: Are there any plans for a next single for “Time After Time?” I remember you mentioning you guys were interested in “Rise From the Ashes” as being the first single.

QD: We had this album completed for about three years and it’s only been released for a year and a half, so we’ve been sitting on these songs for a long time, so it’s important for us to make a new record, and the label wants us to do that, so we’re going to move on to a new record, and come up with some mature songs.

AP: Speaking of which, how is writing coming along for the new album?

QD: Every time we’re home, we track as much as we can, new ideas and stuff, so we’ve got several ideas going on.

AP: Will you be playing any of the new songs on this tour and at upcoming shows?

QD: We sometimes sneak em in there, but I just sometimes don’t like to solidify a song to the point where it becomes routine for me. I want to make sure it’s fresh while it’s still in the writing phase and not on the album yet, but every once in a while we’ll play a couple of the songs that we know are done and that we like a lot.

AP: What direction can fans expect the new album to go in?

QD: I don’t know, what do you think after hearing some of the demos?

AP: It’s a little quirkier, it’s a little more complex.

QD: Yeah, we want to move into the realm of—obscure is not the right word because we always want our music to have this pop appeal to it, but we also want to push ourselves musically, and I think that’s what keeps it fresh for artists.

AP: Have any bands influenced the writing of the new album?

QD: I’m inspired by other musicians that work really hard and I think one musician that does work really hard in the studio is Ryan Adams. He writes a lot of songs and I think that’s important, to keep that muscle trained, and to keep doing that as much as you can. And it’s what I love to do, so honestly we just keep writing songs when we’re home.

AP: Fans who have seen your live show might recall your violin playing—is that something people can expect to show up more on the new album or is that something you save for the live setting?

QD: You know, we don’t want to be that token violin band—I don’t want to force any instrumentation where it’s not supposed to be, but if it fits, yeah. On a song that we’re going to put on the next album, “Handsome Devil’s Benediction,” that’s a violin-thrashing song, and that’s what we want it to be. We want every song to have it’s own personality and we don’t want to force anything into a song that doesn’t need to be there.

AP: Will “Pretend” be on the new record?

QD: I’m not sure yet. We’re gonna record a shitload of demos and just make sure that every idea that we have is on the table before we make those types of decisions.

AP: When do you hope to enter the studio?

QD: Well we’re probably gonna go in in January. We’re gonna try and get some seclusion, get away, and just totally dedicate time to writing these songs.

AP: Any idea when it might hit shelves?

QD: We’re hoping for the summer, but you never know when you have labels involved.

AP: Do you have any advice for younger/smaller bands trying to make it? Any tips for staying sane on the road?

QD: Well, I don’t think you can stay sane on the road, I think that’s kind of what the road does to you, but I think if you’re trying to make it, the most important thing to do is to make connections, make relationships with people, and make them real – I know that’s what’s helped us a lot.

AP: With the terrible record sales as of late—Kid Rock had the #1 album a few weeks ago with 74k—do you get worried about being on a major, where sales numbers are everything?

QD: I don’t worry about it. It’s an exciting time, actually. When the stock market has a downtrend and stocks plummet, it’s actually a great time to invest, because the first person that comes up with the idea that will generate revenue for a label, they’ll be successful. Not that I want to do that, but with the current musical landscape, there are so many opportunities to take advantage of new mediums and expand your listenership.

AP: One reader was asking for your take on the Twin Cities music scene and what some bands from the area are that are worth checking out?

QD: We were total music scenesters in Minneapolis before we started going on tour, but we do know a few bands that are our good friends and obviously would love to do shows with, there’s Dropping Daylight, they’re on Octone Records, The Camera Can’t Lie, they’ve been making waves, Sing It Loud, and of course Motion City Soundtrack. There’s tons of great bands there, we just haven’t had time to really delve into the scene too much.

AP: What are some of your current favorite bands/records?

QD: I don’t know, I really dig The Almost’s new record, I really think the drum parts are orgasmic. I never really got into Underoath and I probably never will, but I just really like the way that everything’s arranged on that record.

AP: What are your expectations for the next few years?

QD: Well, we just want to write the record of our lives, that’s the first step, then we want to have the tour of our lives.

AP: What’s the best (or simply good) advice you’ve received about music, or anything in general?

QD: The best advice I’ve ever received—I don’t know if I received it or just kinda came up with it haha—I just think that if you dream of something, go ahead and do it, don’t talk about it.

AP: Here’s your room to shine, say anything you’d like to fans/readers/haters/etc.

QD: Fuck the haters, first of all, haha. And yeah, we have a podcast and video podcast and all sorts of awesome things that we host on our myspace, so if everyone could check those out, that would make my day because we put a lot of time into our creative parts of this band and that’s one of the outlets we use. Thank you for having me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
08:03 AM on 11/30/07
falloutboy.
yo
User Info.
i love quietdrive, though im pissed they aint coming to colorado on their 'first' headlining tour, even though ive seen them about 3 times headlining
08:09 AM on 11/30/07
Sassers06
User Info.
Quietdrive is WAY better than AAF, hands down. There's no comparison.

I've met these guys a few times, I L-O-V-E them. I wish them the best of luck with their tour.
08:24 AM on 11/30/07
RyanCT
Changin' strings, bangin' on things
User Info.
Ok, I know this thread is about QD, but what song did Nirvana cover as their 'breakout song?' I always considered 'Teen Spirit' their breakout song, and that was not a cover. I know they played a Bowie tuned unplugged, but hardly considered that a break out.
10:00 AM on 11/30/07
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
"AP: One reader was asking for your take on the Twin Cities music scene and what some bands from the area are that are worth checking out?

QD: We were total music scenesters in Minneapolis before we started going on tour, but we do know a few bands that are our good friends and obviously would love to do shows with, there’s Dropping Daylight, they’re on Octone Records, The Camera Can’t Lie, they’ve been making waves, Sing It Loud, and of course Motion City Soundtrack. There’s tons of great bands there, we just haven’t had time to really delve into the scene too much."

---Thank you, Rohan
07:33 PM on 11/30/07
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
User Info.
i love Quietdrive.. i'm excited to hear new stuff from them!
11:29 AM on 12/01/07
radg22
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"AP: A couple readers were wondering if you think that a “real” music video for “Time After Time” would’ve helped more than the live one you have out at the moment?

QD: I don’t know – we had a couple ideas and we were going to go with some of them, but the live video just kind of captured what we want people to see."

-Thanks Rohan, Good interview!!
07:26 PM on 12/01/07
xpolaris
</3
User Info.
Can't wait to hear some new stuff!
07:44 PM on 12/02/07
sheisamaverick
kathrine
User Info.
"AP: One reader was asking for your take on the Twin Cities music scene and what some bands from the area are that are worth checking out?

QD: We were total music scenesters in Minneapolis before we started going on tour, but we do know a few bands that are our good friends and obviously would love to do shows with, there’s Dropping Daylight, they’re on Octone Records, The Camera Can’t Lie, they’ve been making waves, Sing It Loud, and of course Motion City Soundtrack. There’s tons of great bands there, we just haven’t had time to really delve into the scene too much."

---Thank you, Rohan

yay sing it loud!
08:09 PM on 12/02/07
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
From SC? Sweet, keep it up!
10:52 PM on 12/03/07
sheisamaverick
kathrine
User Info.
From SC? Sweet, keep it up!

haha yes
its a long story how i heard about them and saw them
but i still love them
and i'm looking forward to new stuff!
04:38 PM on 12/04/07
SethSound
User Info.
i'm so pumped for the new record, i've been listenin to their current one forever now.
07:51 AM on 12/05/07
Princess Mango
Love it, Hate it, Comment it.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i am excited for the new record. he should get into underoath, good band even better orgasmic double peddaling.

i do love the almost as well...

ahh quiet drive.
10:51 AM on 12/15/07
KatieLynn245
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i freaking love quietdrive. they are amazing and im so excited for their new album :)
03:15 PM on 01/24/08
sundaydrivetsl
User Info.
WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? i saw these dudes 3 years ago in a shit hole venue that is closed... in St. Cloud.. I LIKE the TWIN CITIES question.. we used to have the cardinal sin, but too bad they broke up..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos