Password

Album Review

Peace Be Still - 64 Album Cover

Peace Be Still - 64

Reviewed by
Peace Be Still-64
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: May 1, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
‘And she’ll be there when I awake/ She’ll keep me safe / How do you know?’

Hailing from Mississauga, Southern Ontario, Peace Be Still are a five piece that deal in that lovely shouty emo music that we all love so much. Bringing to mind all the bands that are referred to in every ‘but in the nineties, emo used to mean...’ conversation that has ever occurred, Peace Be Still have released their debut, 64, an album filled with twinkly guitars and downbeat lyrics. Over the course of eleven tracks, Peace Be Still go through three settings; downbeat, pessimistic and downright depressed, all to the intense background of wound up but beautiful guitar lines and accurate, steady drumming.

Kicking off with the short, but certainly not sweet ‘Midland’, the album is off to a suitably downbeat start. It’s aggressive but manages to maintain a degree of tenderness. This is something that can be said about the majority of the release. ‘Give Me All Your Karma’ is both catchy and snappy, while ‘Video’ is quite haunting with somewhat wild vocals. Throughout the record, Peace Be Still find themselves in each corner of the emo spectrum. Screamed vocals give way to howling and very occasionally, clean singing. Gentle, fiddly guitars make way for mosh-out moments, and speed and anger make way for melancholy. Lyrically, the aforementioned settings are omnipresent and with the constant repetition, the lines have great resonance and a vague feeling of desperation, as they sound like someone who’s insistent upon getting their point across. The release ends with ‘All American Pastime’, the best track off an already great album, combining a strangely catchy chorus with all the aspects that make this album what it is.

64 is an excellent album. Peace Be Still have combined each ingredient that makes an emo album without over-stressing any aspect of it. Avoiding the pitfalls of being over-whiny or overwrought, the entire album comes across filled with personality and integrity and, whilst technically they may not be the most impressive band, they certainly make up for it by having the ability to pen an excellent song. Peace Be Still are definitely one of the best new bands kicking about today.

Tracklisting1. Midland
2. Sauna
3. Give Me All Your Karma
4. Good Sport
5. Video
6. Mango
7. Milano
8. Echo
9. Hey Jerkwad, You Sprayed Poison On My Veggie Wrap
10. Iron Bridge
11. All-American Pastime

Recommended If You LikeLa Dispute & American Football being played over one another; Cap'n Jazz; sadness

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peace-...ll/49083201475
Download It Here http://peacebestill.bandcamp.com/

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version