08. Explosions in the Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone
07. Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History In Rust
06. Liars - Liars
05. Battles - Mirrored
04. Foxhole - Push/Pull
03. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
02. Deerhunter - Cryptograms
01. Shh...This Is A Library - S/T
Shh...This Is A LibraryThis will cause some controversy, especially considering it beat out lovely Deerhunter for the top spot. Still, I can't deny how beautifully this album is conceptualized. It might be unintentional, but Shh...This Is A Library is the soundtrack to waking up and falling asleep. Restlessness, dream-sequences, and slipping into sleep are all accounted for, for in the sparse instrumentation sits the space between your bed and the day that lies before you; thoughtlessness and an inherent want to stay under the sheets ebbs and flows in the static that swirls and settles in easily the most gorgeous auditory experience released this year.

Top EPs of 2007

10. Bright Eyes - Four Winds
09. Black Kids - Wizard of Ahhhs
08. Street Smart Cyclist - Lint Traps
07. Pirouette - Thinking in Subtitles
06. Know Think - Clean Closet
05. Swedes - Three Weeks
04. They Mean Us - Friendship Lottery
03. Morning For The Masses - Seconds
02. Jacob and I - Shadout Mapes
01. Deerhunter - Fluorescent Grey

Most Disappointing Albums of 2007

05. Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight
04. Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City
03. Acute - Arms Around A Stranger
02. Olympia - Emergency
01. V/A - Emo Diaries Eleven: Taking Back What's Ours
Emo Diaries ElevenI'm still clueless as to why Deep Elm put this out when it only stands to tarnish the perfection the previous chapters in the series stand for. There's very few songs on this one that is not the recycled [punk]{pop}-rock junk that is really what gems like Emo Diaries Two: Million Miles Away broke away from back in '98

Best "New" Band

Winner: Deerhunter
DeerhunterIf there was one band that got the '07 buzz and new attention for the Atlanta indie scene, it was Deerhunter. And though they were around much prior to this year, let's face it -- besides those embedded in the Southeast's underground...no one else had heard of them. Stunning audiences all over the country (and beyond) with their "religious experience" of a live show, and releasing two acclaimed albums -- it couldn't have been a better year for the band.

Runner Up: Jacob and I
Jacob and ITwo bassists and a drummer splitting atoms with their infectious, mathy instrumental loops and swirls. Look out for this trio, because god knows I can't get enough of them.

Best Music Videos of 2007

Winner: TIE Battles - "Tonto" + Battles - "Atlas"
Battles - "Atlas", "Tonto"Choosing the best between these two videos would be like picking a favorite child. The first band that comes to my mind when I think of something as unassuming as "music video" is Battles. "Atlas" and "Tonto" are both phenomenal videos (and songs) for entirely separate reasons. And this is coming from someone that's not particularly interested in music videos.

Runner Up: Babyshambles - "French Dog Blues"
Babyshambles - "French Dog Blues"Caught this video on MTVU and immediately fell in love. Wonderful illustration and a progression that goes almost too well with the song. Cute.

Worst Music Video of 2007

Loser: Korn - "Hold On"
Korn - "Hold On"You know what an absolutely fantastic idea for a music video would be? Follow me on this one. Two riders, rivals for a reason left unknown, face each other in a bull-riding competition set in a corral called "Ballsville". Yeah, yeah this is gold. One of the gritty riders will have the ability to talk to bulls and tell them what to do for no apparent reason. The other rider will go with the theme of "big balls" by having two steel balls hanging from his pants. So of course we have to have a scene where someone handles them, getting a good laugh from fucked up nu-metal kids by using eye-roll inducing perversion. Oh and did I mention we'll be panning from time to time to girls in the audience eating large hotdogs, interpretable (assumably) as sexual innuendo.

Just watch it for yourself. This video forced me to make an award for the worst video of the year.

Best Lyrics of 2007

Winner: Kevin Barnes, Of Montreal

Runner Up: Win Butler, Arcade Fire

Best Vocals Of 2007

Winner: Bradford Cox
Bradford CoxI have a soft spot for shoegazey shit, so when Bradford Cox spends half of the Deerhunter show crouched over his effect pedals, dizzying the audience with an array of ambiant vocals -- I can't help but get a hard-on.

Runner Up: Eisley
EisleySherri and Stacy don't utilize the typical female-vocalist cadence. It's more "real" than the dainty-as-fuck, barbie-doll inflection you'll see elsewhere.

Favorite Record Label

Winner: Look Again Media
LAMHow can I not list the label I spend hours and hours working on in this spot? Look Again Media has become quite the project since my boy Rich D. first started it. We released Brett Incardone's impressive, under-the-radar Dearest Sailor... and June State Residential's striking Words Minus Instructions. We also announced our involvement with our good friends Rapid Cities' next album and signed Texas's up-and-coming They Mean Us. Favorite record label indeed. Good year LAM, good year.

Runner Up: Flameshovel Records
Flameshovel RecordsAlthough Flameshovel didn't put out much this year, they still retain a fantastic roster. They released Maritime's Heresy... and The Narrators' All That to the Wall -- both well-received albums. Mannequin Men's Fresh Rot also surprised with their post-grunge gruff, topping off a great year for the label.

Best Live Show

10. Suburban Legends
09. The Selmanaires
08. Sorry, No Ferrari
07. Know Think
06. Patent Pending
05. Snowden
04. Maritime
03. Rapid Cities
02. Stars
01. Deerhunter

Best Single

Winner: Band of Horses - "Is There A Ghost"
Band of Horses...and it has a pretty cool music video to boot!

Runner Up: Feist - "1 2 3 4"
FeistI can't deny it, even as a self-proclaimed indie fuck.

Best B-Side

Winner: Brand New - "Fork and Knife"

Runner Up: Wilco - "The Thanks I Get"

Best "Other" Webzine

Winner: Cokemachineglow.com
Cokemachineglow.comPitchfork without the snobbery, but with a staff that writes just as well. Bravo boys.

Favorite Movies of 2007

03. Into the Wild
02. Juno
01. Superbad

Favorite TV Shows of 2007

05. Friday Night Lights
04. Lost
03. The Mighty Boosh
The Mighty BooshProps to my roommate for getting me into this one.

02. The Office
The OfficeWhat we saw of the season was promising. It hinted at getting as topsy-turvy as Season 3, but we'll have to wait and see once this strike ends. Oh and Krasinski better get some kind of nomination. He's stepped it up.

01. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
It's Always SunnyThe best show this year by leaps and bounds. My Thursday nights had to be free to stay up and watch Season 3. Turned out just as good as I expected it to be. God bless Charlie Day

Most Anticipated CDs of 2008

05. Make Believe
Make BelieveAfter the band's frontman left them high-and-dry earlier this year, everyone's go-to erratically technical band seemed done for. But while they're still essentially singer-less, a new album was secretly in the works. And next year is when it'll be unveiled.

04. Owen
OwenMike Kinsella's "At Home With..." was one of my favorites of '06. What can I say? He's a master of putting a more ambient touch to the parched singer/songwriter pool. Get ready for something great.

03. Joan of Arc
Joan of ArcWho would've guessed I'd be anticipating JOA's upcoming release?

02. Noyes
NoyesPitchfork's William Bowers calls Victor Villareal "the best guitar player alive". It's far from the extreme exaggeration you'd think it'd be. Vic's comeback was rumored to be this year, but with no word yet -- we can only hope for an '08 release.

01. My Bloody Valentine
My Bloody ValentineThe shoegaze pioneers are coming back and I couldn't be more excited. Loveless is one of my top five favorite albums of all time. Although it's up in the air as to whether they can satisfy fans that've waited almost two decades for a follow-up, but hey, I won't be one to complain. They can do no wrong in my eyes.

Favorite Songs Of 2007

30. Except After Sea - "Pushin' the Lord"
29. The Chemist vs. The Computer - "Coasting Towards the Tide..."
28. Mass Movement of the Moth - "Riddle Me 666"
27. Indian Summer - "Angry Son (Live)"
26. FRNDS ND LVRS - "Have You Ever Felt Insignificant?"
25. Look Mexico - "Watch Out For This"
24. Slint - "King's Approach"
23. Deerhoof - "+ 81"
22. Jacob and I - "Shadeout Mapes 1"
21. Rapid Cities - "In My Mind"
20. M.I.A. - "Paper Planes"
19. Monument - "Window Light"
18. Modest Mouse - "Missed the Boat"
17. Free Diamonds - "Hugs and Kisses"
16. They Mean Us - "Wave Mustaine"
15. Algernon Cadwallader - "Breath Wish"
14. Battles - "Tonto"
13. Deerhunter - "Cryptograms"
12. Street Smart Cyclist - "The Human Map Says We're Fucked"
11. Shh...This Is A Library - "Sunrise Highway"
10. Deerhunter - "Lake Somerset"
09. Know Think - "Songo"
08. She Moved Through the Fair - "EE Holtry"
07. No Age - "Neck Escaper"
06. Battles - "Atlas"
05. Foxhole - "Forgiving Monarch"
04. Brett Incardone - "Only To Be Young Again"
03. Swedes - "1987"
02. Explosions in the Sky - "So Long Lonesome"
01. Panda Bear - "Bros"

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
12:13 PM on 12/26/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Haha at #'s 3-5 for the most anticipated '08. You're such a fanboy.

Also I don't know if you know this or not, but there are quite a few catagories that it looks like you started (such as most underrated/overrated bands, best lyrics, etc.)

Good list, though, I'll definitely be checking out a lot of stuff here.
02:03 PM on 12/26/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
god damn, i need to check so much of this shit out.
03:10 PM on 12/26/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I know very few of the albums on your list. So I should be listening to Deerhunter rather than The Dear Hunter, huh?
03:33 PM on 12/26/07
matt_rawlings
User Info.
Loving the Chemist vs The Computer love
03:49 PM on 12/26/07
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
08. Explosions in the Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone

Thanks for reminding me! Jesus, almost left this out thinking that it was from '06..
03:57 PM on 12/26/07
TheBaroness
User Info.
cool list, I definately agree with you about Emo Diaries 11
04:20 PM on 12/26/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome list, though I have known about it for awhile ahha. I definitely appreciate the Look Again Media shout out, 2008 is going to be such a great year!
08:09 PM on 12/26/07
dretti
bounce bitch bounce
User Info.
Great list. Without a doubt the strongest of the staff.
09:19 PM on 12/26/07
phaedrus
Registered Member
User Info.
last year i had to redo my list several times over after checking out some of your top picks, this year this was the first list i looked at. I'm looking forward to hearing some of these bands, should be some great stuff. I loved Shh this is a library's cd, I only wish I wasn't so stupid as to not buy it
09:29 PM on 12/26/07
puddlegum
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Darkroom has pre-released their new ep, Jets that Fly, as a free download until Jan. 11:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4dzvjia1emj

http://myspace.com/darkroommusic
09:32 PM on 12/26/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
AHHHH!!! So happy to see The Mighty Boosh on there! I love your roomate, haha.

And I have to say, LAM impressed me. Rich always is telling me about bands yall deal with and they are always great. They Mean Us has a ton of potential. Y'all will be blowing up before you even notice.
10:23 PM on 12/26/07
elscorcho1125
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yay for look mexico making your list!
09:12 AM on 12/27/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Cokemachineglow .... Hmm, I need to check that out.

Another friend of mine moved to N. Carolina a week ago. I'm slowly but surely planning my road trip down south.
10:58 AM on 12/27/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
I know very few of the albums on your list. So I should be listening to Deerhunter rather than The Dear Hunter, huh?

Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version