AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Adrian Villagomez

Written by: Adrian Villagomez (11/30/07)
2007: A Year in Music Review

June 4th, 2007 was a glorious day for me. It's the day I jumped around my apartment like a lunatic because I found out I was hired on absolutepunk.net. Now here I am making my first end of the year list; it's an exciting time. I've always been more comfortable slowly adding to my music collection, usually looking back at old material rather than checking out the latest releases. I promise I'm going to make efforts to change that in 2008. So for now please enjoy the categories found below, and if you feel especially passionate about an artist/song/release I've failed to mention, let me know so I can give them some attention next year. A big thank you goes out to everyone who made this a great year for me on the site.

Top Albums

10. Rivers Cuomo - Alone: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo
09. The New Amsterdams - At the Foot of My Rival
08. Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
07. David Shultz and the Skyline - Sinner's Gold
06. Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre
05. Saves the Day - Under the Boards
04. Kanye West - Graduation
03. Dorsey - The Long Goodbye
02. Yellowcard - Paper Walls
01. Straylight Run - The Needles the Space

Top AlbumsThe only album that was easy for me to rank in this list was Straylight Run's The Needles the Space. As someone who was disappointed with their first self-titled release, I was blown away at the leaps this band made the second time around. I've been an advocate of John Nolan for a long time now, but his sister Michelle deserves much of the attention as well, because she has grown into her own and adds real beauty to the band's sound. I recall recommending this album in my blog one week, and backsliding two weeks later to recommend it again. It's been the number one album spinning in my car this year, and that means a lot coming from someone who looks forward to driving while listening to great music the radio is too foolish to pick up.

Band of the Year

Straylight Run

Band of the YearOn December 8, 2007 Straylight Run were dropped from Universal Records. This is further proof record labels are not to be trusted. The Needles the Space is an album I'll still be listening to years down the road; it will not be forgotten. I know this year hasn't been easy on them, but they're only going to come back stronger.

Favorite Songs

Dorsey - "Strawberries and Peaches"

Lyrics ExcerptWell I've got my head
All spinnin' in the clouds again
The lord above just took me up
Then he, then he brought me back
Back down again

Sweet devil, take me home
I wanna get back to my rose
Sweet devil, lord
Lord, take me home

Say Anything - "Shiksa (Girlfriend)"

Lyrics ExcerptI remember it vividly, love
Iíve been walking erect since the moment we met
And I caught your eye to my surprise (your white thighs)
Hebraic neuroses ceased to be
An angel's conversing with me
The new attractive to me is divine

And even if your friends donít understand
No matter what Iíll always be your man
Even if you go, you know youíll leave me feeling grand

Straylight Run - "The First of This Century"

Lyrics ExcerptAnd I yelled to my friends, "It'll all be okay"
But they didn't believe me, they still don't today
And they never do anything they haven't before
In the same solemn room with no lock on the door

And over and over and over again
The same failed solutions to all the same problems
Scream why, why, I can't understand
Why the things that I do never go as I planned

Best Album Art

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Best Music Video

Kanye West - "Can't Tell Me Nothing" (featuring Zach Galifianakis and Will Oldham)

Best Record Label

None (see: In Rainbows)

Best Record Label"And it's sort of a shame [In Rainbows didn't make more of an impact], because people in the industry ó including those major-label bastards in their ivory towers ó were watching. And the end result of all our squabbling seems to only reinforce their point of view that every artist needs a major to help guide them. But then again, it's also not, because it also showed those same industry suits just how incredibly pissy and insufferable we can be when we really set our minds to it. We've actually got the power to kill careers if we decide to (see Pitchfork's "chimpanzee peeing in his own mouth" review of Jet's Shine On for further proof of this point). We only need to get our sh-- together long enough to do it." - James Montgomery

Tour of the Year

Brand New/Thrice/mewithoutYou

Best Staff Moments

Talking Spider-Man with Jason Tate, canoodling with Anton Djamoos and Julia Conny, hiding in a bubble shield with Tom Good, hanging out with Jon Lally on Yellowcard's bus, looking for trouble with Blake Solomon, and attempting to get Drew Beringer an ap.net hookup at the To Write Love on Her Arms tent only to fail miserably.

A Fond Farewell

The Early November

A Fond FarewellAce Enders had a vision for his band. The Early November's triple disc concept album and final release The Mother, the Mechanic, and the Path branched out in directions outside of the band's safe zone and actually made an effort to tell a story. It would've been interesting to find where the band would go next, but sadly, their own story came to a close in 2007. Here's to South Jersey's The Early November and all their accomplishments - hopefully we'll get a reunion out of these guys sooner rather than later.

Favorites Artists Discovered (Past and Present)

David Shultz and the Skyline
Dorsey
The Format
Manchester Orchestra
The Matches
mewithoutYou

Favorite Artists DiscoveredThis year has been fantastic for me when it comes to finding artists I've missed in previous years. According to my iTunes, I've listened to two David Shultz songs downloaded from his MySpace more than any other tracks in my music library. Dorsey are an easy going Arizona folk rock that I should be following for years to come. Everyone who knows The Format loves The Format, and I'm no exception. Manchester Orchestra are amazing. If I were a cheater like Julia, their re-release of I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child probably would have been my number one album of the year. Shawn Harris is not only a snazzy dresser, his band The Matches mix rock and pop to create some damn catchy tunes. mewithoutYou are difficult to put into words, but the words they write are some of the most refreshing I've heard all year. Their newest album Brother, Sister is close to genius. These are all artists to watch.

Thread of the Year (tie)

Attn: Adrian Villagomez
Spider-Man 3

Runner Up:

The Dark Knight

Thread of the YearAh, my initiation. The "Attn: Adrian Villagomez" thread holds a special place in my heart, and rightfully so. For those who want a summary (I get lazy, too), after I was hired Anton and Eda made a thread accusing me of locking a thread I shouldn't have locked. I plead my innocence, but they had image proof that I locked it. I was freaking out a bit, thinking someone got a hold of my password and Jason was going to fire me, when they revealed the whole thing was just a prank. I don't post in the forums as much as I used to, so this is one of the best memories I carry from the my days of posting often. It's my personal thread of the year, but I do think others could get a kick out of it.

The Spider-Man thread is self-explanatory for anyone who knows me. And even if I severely disliked the movie, the thread regulars would often shift the focus to more glorious Spider-Man works, such as the Ultimate Spider-Man comic series. For anyone wondering why "The Dark Knight" didn't make thread of the year, it's because Spider-Man is much cooler than Batman. Just ask Jason Tate.

Most Anticipated Releases of 2008

16. Modest Mouse
15. Glassjaw
14. Nightmare of You
13. Alkaline Trio
12. I Am the Avalanche
11. Kevin Devine
10. +44
09. Dorsey
08. The Format
07. Saves the Day
06. Weezer
05. The Matches
04. mewithoutYou
03. Ace Enders' solo debut
02. Northstar
01. Brand New (perhaps)

Smiley That Should Be Renamed :adrian: in the Future

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
07:28 AM on 12/01/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Shield Of The Year
Winner: Bubble
Runner Up: The one with Michael Chiklis
11:48 AM on 12/26/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
D shultz sighting!!!
01:03 PM on 12/26/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
D shutlz is pure money in the bank. I wasn't feeling Straylight's release though.
01:17 PM on 12/26/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Shield Of The Year
Winner: Bubble
Runner Up: The one with Michael Chiklis
You're my bubble shield savior, Tom Good.

D shutlz is pure money in the bank.
Let's get him some good press, boys.
01:58 PM on 12/26/07
Nametekken
5-0 Next up Arkansas
User Info.
Nice choice with TNA. I enjoyed that CD.
04:16 PM on 12/26/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I'm still waiting to hear the Rivers album.

By the way, uh, the other staff members kind of have more lists than you.
05:33 PM on 12/26/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
I'm still waiting to hear the Rivers album.

By the way, uh, the other staff members kind of have more lists than you.
They have more categories, which I'll be adding throughout today/tomorrow. Keep checkin' back.
06:03 PM on 12/26/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
They have more categories, which I'll be adding throughout today/tomorrow. Keep checkin' back.

Will do, just teasing.
06:07 PM on 12/26/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Will do, just teasing.
09:08 AM on 12/27/07
Ender217
User Info.
Hmmm... straylight run ranks number one on my biggest disappointment list, with motion city a close second.
09:15 AM on 12/27/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Will you be making it to Bamboozle this year? There is only one answer.
10:07 AM on 12/27/07
Lehcar
User Info.
nice to see someone who really appreciated Mr. Enders triple disk
11:28 AM on 12/27/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Will you be making it to Bamboozle this year? There is only one answer.
Maybe? haha, give me some dates and I'll check my schedule.

nice to see someone who really appreciated Mr. Enders triple disk
I listened to "The Path" on my drive home.. it was a good experience.
01:09 PM on 12/27/07
You Got Owned
@andymania
User Info.
Most Anticipated Releases of 2008

16. Modest Mouse
15. Glassjaw
14. Nightmare of You
13. Alkaline Trio
12. I Am the Avalanche
11. Kevin Devine
10. +44