AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Early Morning Rebel - Early Morning Rebel Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Early Morning Rebel - Early Morning Rebel

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (07/11/12)
Early Morning Rebel - Early Morning Rebel
Record Label: Baby Bird Records
Release Date: July 10, 2012

Some discs can take weeks to make an impression, others can take mere seconds. The self-titled debut album from Los Angeles' Early Morning Rebel is exactly the latter. The disc opens minimally with "Life Boat," a pensive, slow-crawler that features the unshakeable vocals of Nathan Blumenfield-James and a faint organ. There's a splash of synth here and there, but overall the tone of the song is sparse, light and airy. And my gosh, that voice.

The album takes a huge step forward on "Find an Easier Way," a driving, stadium ready rocker that is powerful, passionate and near-perfect. Early Morning Rebel returns to the pensive, sparse tone of "Life Boat," on "Shallow Breath," an inimitable effort that once again highlight's Blumenfield-James' huge vocals. The acoustic and folksy "Four Letter Word," and "No Good Situation," are both gorgeous and intimate paeans to heartbreak that are nothing short of stunning.

At this point, Early Morning Rebel is only five songs deep and there has yet to be anything closely resembling a dud or filler track. And on "War on Love," the trend continues. Slow-moving and calculated, the song draws on a guitar riff culled straight from the U2 playbook. After four straight ballads, the band ups the sonic ante on "Burn Us Down," a ringing, sweetly harmonic, stadium-ready anthem; and "Hold On," a bursting charmer with driving guitars, a sweeping chorus and enough swagger to drop Los Angeles to its knees. Early Morning Rebel closes with "Tell Me What it Matters," a mid-tempo meditation that is anchored in the uber-catchy chorus "Tell me what it matters, what anyone says, cause pretty soon now we're all gonna be dead."

Though it marks for a jarring and cold sentiment, the end result is nothing short of stunning. In just nine cohesive tracks, Early Morning Rebel has constructed an album with nary a flaw. From start to finish, each of the songs are richly constructed, beautifully written and gorgeously sung. Come to think of it, there might not be an album this promising released this year.

Recommended If You Like Graffiti 6, OneRepublic, Snow Patrol, Keane

Find Them Here www.earlymorningrebe.com

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:47 AM on 07/11/12
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Gotta get this. Now.
08:48 AM on 07/11/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
i enjoy snow patrol. i shall check this out.
08:37 PM on 07/11/12
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
I have the EP, but didn't know the full length was out and/or available in the US.
10:03 AM on 07/14/12
Quijiba
User Info.
i'm trying to get this full length. Can't find it anywhere!
11:19 AM on 07/14/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
i'm trying to get this full length. Can't find it anywhere!
I don't believe it's available in the US yet.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests