AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Woe, Is Me - Number[s] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 1
Lyrics N/A
Production 1
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 16%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.25
Musicianship 0.25
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 3%

Woe, Is Me - Number[s]

Reviewed by: Jack Appleby (07/15/12)
Woe, Is Me - Number[s] re-issue
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: July 17, 2012

As a carefully-crafted product, Woe, Is Me have always excelled. The band is a marketer's dream, flagrantly playing to their fanbase's stereotypes with the sound, merch, and hair to move units. It's that strategic thinking that makes the Number[s] re-issue so baffling. Though they'll likely sell some extra copies, this release is a complete side-step for a band that needs to be proving their future.

Rather than watching the band move forward, we're asked to revisit their sole album, two years and five members removed. If the strategy was to remind us that this version of Woe no longer exists, they've succeeded - 14 of the 16 tracks feature the departed Tyler Carter, and all but one have Michael Bohn screaming along. The band that created Number[s] is effectively deceased, replaced by capable, but different musicians - why the band and label choose to rub that in our face, I'll never understand. Even after discarding the original ten tracks, "Fame > Demise" pours salt in the wound, followed by two more Carter-era remixes that are somewhat interesting, though unnecessary. These thirteen inclusions are fairly standard for a re-release, though again suffer from incredibly poor timing.

That leaves three tracks showcasing new vocalist Hance Alligood, which have absolutely nothing to do with the Number[s] era. Already 10 months old, "Vengeance" seems as dated as the old record, especially with the laughable "we will live forever" lyrics delivered from a guy who then left the band. Branching into all-too-familiar territory, we receive another pop cover via "We R Who We R," which isn't even as good as their version of Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night" from Punk Goes Pop. They don't match the original record, and they offer no peek at the future, making them as uninteresting as the other songs.

That leaves the only notable listen, an acoustic version of "Fame > Demise" with Hance on the mic. Alligood sounds fantastic here, showing a gorgeous tone and great power despite some overproduction on his vocals. Purists will bemoan slight changes in melody and lyrics, though they are completely unwarranted; this is a respectable arrangement. I would have preferred a completely stripped version a la their live session, though this rendition should please fans mature enough to look past the slight differences from the original.

Go spend the dollar to grab the acoustic version, then completely forget this thing was ever released.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
09:13 PM on 07/15/12
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
User Info.
"band and label choose to rub that in our face" -> "label chooses to rub that in our face" ... rise releases every album twice.
09:54 PM on 07/15/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
They really should've released this to cash in like a solid year ago. Tack on a DVD with it or something.
10:15 PM on 07/15/12
XenoLovegood
But you couldn't last a lifetime
User Info.
Really? A re-issue two whole years after the original when they could have released a new album instead? How fucking pathetic can you get?
10:21 PM on 07/15/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
This is a complete waste of time. I love[d] Number[s] and I was under the impression that this release was going to feature, at the very least, Hance's voice recorded over all the old tracks and some production revamping.... Instead we get remixes (listen once never listen again), acoustic (again, listen once), two "new" songs that I have listened to death already, and a fuckin Kesha cover.
02:30 AM on 07/16/12
Ann Arbor
voyeuristic to the trackmarks
User Info.
I was looking foward to hear Hance re-do everything but they kept it exactly the same, Im pissed
06:00 AM on 07/16/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
This is a complete waste of time. I love[d] Number[s] and I was under the impression that this release was going to feature, at the very least, Hance's voice recorded over all the old tracks and some production revamping.... Instead we get remixes (listen once never listen again), acoustic (again, listen once), two "new" songs that I have listened to death already, and a fuckin Kesha cover.
my thoughts exactly man. I think rereleases are meaningless in and of themselves but Jesus this is the epitome of pointless.
07:09 AM on 07/16/12
Naenia
Ay payita mia, guardate la poesia
User Info.
That acoustic version of Fame> Demise is actually Tyler singing, not Hance. It's from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXykr60jNA8

Arguably Rise's most offensive reissue.
07:12 AM on 07/16/12
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
Lol. God damn you Rise.
07:17 AM on 07/16/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That acoustic version of Fame> Demise is actually Tyler singing, not Hance. It's from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXykr60jNA8

Arguably Rise's most offensive reissue.
Wrong. Here's the version from the re-issue, with Hance singing.

10:24 AM on 07/16/12
HeyItsAllyssa
Graphic Designer / AllyssaMarae.com
User Info.
Wrong. Here's the version from the re-issue, with Hance singing.

It's not awful. Just a different take on the song. I prefer Tyler's acoustic version a bit more but I know I will end up playing Hance's version every now and then.
11:31 AM on 07/16/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
I love the band and their music and am having a blast with the reissue.

Is it me, or are the songs from the original album RE-recorded?! Maybe I just hadn't paid enough attention before, but some of the segues, drums, and electronics sounded different.
02:50 PM on 07/16/12
Journey408
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
shoulda saved the newer songs for their 2nd album
good album though except for the remixes
03:39 PM on 07/16/12
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
this is literally the most irrelevant re-issue i have ever heard about, really was expecting them to re record with hance on vocals.
05:52 PM on 07/16/12
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
I kind of do like W,IM, but damn, re-releases are so stupid. Let it age a little before you ask fans to buy it again, or at least put some decent extras on it. Lame.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests