Password

Album Review
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind Album Cover

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

Reviewed by
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
Record Label: Elektra Records
Release Date: April 8, 1997
All aficionados develop different criteria to judge music. There’s no perfect method or standardized opinion, and we’ll argue about an album’s merits long past its release. Some value relatable or poetic lyricism, others require clean production, heavy riffage, or any number of other perfectly acceptable benchmarks. What makes Third Eye Blind’s debut record sensational is its ability to excel in so many regards.

There’s a reason my pre-pubescent 11-year-old self loved this record: it’s catchy. Roaming the halls of elementary school, I sang of love ruined by methamphetamine addiction, spending the whole god damn day in bed, and getting my punk-ass off the street. Maybe not appropriate subject matter for a sixth grader, but Stephen Jenkins’s delivery appealed to ears of all ages. It’s not an accident that the record spent two full years on the Billboard Top 200, selling 6 million copies along the way - these songs are radio gold. Few melodies are as memorable as “Semi-Charmed Life” or “Jumper,” songs 15 years old that still receive regular airplay.

As I grew up, I developed a taste for technicality. Anyone can play power chords - I expected professionals to up the ante. More than that, I yearned for music that could combine accessibility with phenomenal musicianship, a balance rarely achieved. Kevin Cadogan found that musical nirvana. Take those bouncy verses in “Losing A Whole Year” or the no-strum-intro and signature riff to “Graduate;” tricks like that were never found in radio rock during that era, and haven’t been since. Then there’s his alternate tunings - show me another guitarist with Top 10 hits in FACFGE, DADFAD, or FADFAE. Even as today’s guitarists employ new techniques and reach higher levels, none do so within the confines of pop/rock. Bassist Arion Salazar and drummer Brad Hargreaves brought the same talent and understanding, providing more than a simple rhythm section. All three musicians comprised one of the most interesting instrumental sections pop/rock has ever seen, with Third Eye Blind serving as exhibit A.

More than anything, the songwriting itself deserves recognition. Mapping out the rhyme schemes or structuring to these songs is an absolute nightmare. “Narcolepsy” does what ever it wants, throwing extended instrumental sections everywhere while staying a sing-along. Even fan-favorite “Motorcycle Drive By” is anything but usual, thanks to its slow rise and lack of a true chorus. What’s more is the this advanced songwriting came on their debut album, showing a comprehension most veteran songwriters don’t have. Jenkin’s hybrid singing-rapping only added another dimension to the equation, completing a unique style few could dream to emulate.

I’ve barely scratched the tip of the iceberg. I could rant on and on about the dynamics across the 14 tracks, their social relevancy, how frequently Third Eye Blind is quoted as a major influence to current bands, Jenkin's lyrics, or several other reasons why I’ve firmly dubbed this my favorite album of all-time. If you need a testament to this record’s strength, realize I didn’t even mention Top 10 single “How’s It Going To Be” or the gorgeous “God Of Wine,” songs that deserve analysis all their own. The wealth of music here is unmatched in my mind, and quickly becoming timeless. Rarely can I dedicate a truly uninterrupted hour to an album, yet self-titled earns that privilege regularly. I spent half my rent on the original 1997 vinyl, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Long live Third Eye Blind.
This review is a user submitted review from Jack Appleby. You can see all of Jack Appleby's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 92
11:34 PM on 07/15/12
honkytonk
Fedoras, limit 1 per group.
User Info.
Great review. This record is phenomenal in so many ways, haven't listened to it in a while. I'm gonna give it a spin at work tomorrow.
11:36 PM on 07/15/12
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
Nice review, and I totally agree. Top 3 band for me, and one of my all-time favorite albums. Not a bad song on it.
11:39 PM on 07/15/12
whitelightning7
Registered Member
User Info.
I always wanted a retro review over this album. I first listened to this album three years ago during my junior year summer, and it 's always been my summer album since then, and I don't mind that at all.
11:49 PM on 07/15/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Jimmy Page.
12:12 AM on 07/16/12
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
i really enjoy your writing. many (or even most) reviewers know absolutely nothing about music theory, the songwriting process, how to play an instrument, etc., but it's clear you do, and it makes you seem more legitimate - at least in my eyes.

the middle of this album keeps it from being perfect though. not that i don't love it.
12:43 AM on 07/16/12
trevorshmevor
User Info.
i really enjoy your writing. many (or even most) reviewers know absolutely nothing about music theory, the songwriting process, how to play an instrument, etc., but it's clear you do, and it makes you seem more legitimate - at least in my eyes.

This exactly. This review is an easy favorite on this site for me, and the fact that I love this album helps all the more.
01:09 AM on 07/16/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Do Blue next!
01:36 AM on 07/16/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like 3EB but calling that album perfect is a tad absurd.
05:58 AM on 07/16/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I listened to this album when it first came out but I didn't really "get" it beyond the singles for a good decade. I think it took Polar Bear Club's Sometimes Things Just Disappear to help me appreciate it much more.
06:10 AM on 07/16/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
One of the first alt. rock bands I got into. Never listened to this entire album, but the singles off this album are fantastic.
06:15 AM on 07/16/12
SnowPatroler
User Info.
I like 3EB but calling that album perfect is a tad absurd.
I don't think so, i think that album is flawless from start to finsh. There aren't a ton from the 90's and on that should be 10/10 . But this one definitley should be. .
06:16 AM on 07/16/12
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not a very accurate review. Very solid album, but not even their best. Songs like Burning Man, and Good For You, are good but not great... not deserving of a 10/10
07:38 AM on 07/16/12
Zack Haughton
The song that goes like danananana
User Info.
Not a very accurate review. Very solid album, but not even their best. Songs like Burning Man, and Good For You, are good but not great... not deserving of a 10/10
I'm not usually one to single people out like this, but every statement made in this post is plain wrong.

Absolutely incredible album and band.
07:43 AM on 07/16/12
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Jenkins is a turd, but this is a great record.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos