Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 92.
02:23 PM on 07/16/12
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
User Info.
This has been my favorite album of all time for years and years. I first heard it when I was 11 years old. My cousin's older sister gave it to her, and she lent it to me. I immediately fell in love, 16 years later and I still listen to it all the way through. This album is an absolute gem. When I saw this review, I was like huh?....But I'm glad someone else recognizes how perfect it is from start to finish.
02:24 PM on 07/16/12
JesseKilgannon
User Info.
It better be perfect if you spent $150 on it ;)
02:41 PM on 07/16/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Not necessarily perfect since I don't like using that word to describe a record, but some that are absolutely fantastic.

Belle and Sebastian - Are You Feeling Sinister?
Slowdive - Souvlaki
The Jesus Lizard - Liar
The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage: Animation Music Volume One
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Portishead - Dummy
Sonic Youth - Goo
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#
A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory
etc...
Counting Crows - August and Everything After is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Third Eye Blind though really have yet to release anything I didn't like. I think Out of The Vein was their worst but all 4 albums are great. s/t has the most memories attached to it with blue close second. It is hard to pick between the two as a favorite though. Their 4th album can never be my favorite because the memories attached to their older songs but it definitely has some of my favorite sing alongs and is much better than their 3rd.
05:18 PM on 07/16/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Considering how many fantastic and life-changing album were released in the 90s I'm gonna have to call major bullshit on that.

Still baffled at how much people praise this record, it's such an average pop rock record from such an average band. This stuff was always in the same vein as groups like Everclear and Matchbox Twenty, but yet ap.net chooses to talk about this record as if it was one of the most perfect records from the 90s.

Seb, I think everyone has their own tastes, but it's unfair to call this an average pop record. Like I said in the review, one of the reasons I love it is the complexity to the songwriting and musicianship - Matchbox Twenty definitely holds their own in those categories, but Everclear? Not a chance.
05:23 PM on 07/16/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Counting Crows - August and Everything After is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Third Eye Blind though really have yet to release anything I didn't like. I think Out of The Vein was their worst but all 4 albums are great. s/t has the most memories attached to it with blue close second. It is hard to pick between the two as a favorite though. Their 4th album can never be my favorite because the memories attached to their older songs but it definitely has some of my favorite sing alongs and is much better than their 3rd.
I feel like I'm alone in my thoughts on Ursa Major. I recently had a 5 hour car trip, in which I listened to the entire catalog - I forgot how great Out Of The Vein was from cover to cover. The first three albums are of such a high quality that "Can You Take Me," "One In Ten," "Summer Town," and "Why Can't You Be" being inferior to the Red Star version are enough to make it the worst of a strong discography.
05:44 PM on 07/16/12
burnmotion
User Info.
This used to be my #1 album for a while. I wouldn't rank it so high anymore though. I always want to skip Thanks A Lot and Burning Man, and a perfect album shouldn't compell someone to skip songs.
Those are two of their best songs.

Considering how many fantastic and life-changing album were released in the 90s I'm gonna have to call major bullshit on that.

Still baffled at how much people praise this record, it's such an average pop rock record from such an average band. This stuff was always in the same vein as groups like Everclear and Matchbox Twenty, but yet ap.net chooses to talk about this record as if it was one of the most perfect records from the 90s.
You're not listening hard enough. The musicianship, the tones the band utilize, the lyrics, the diversity in sound, and the pure, shameless catchiness of every single track beg to differ. It's essentially a heavy alternative rock record stuffed through a pop filter.
05:44 PM on 07/16/12
burnmotion
User Info.
Great review by the way, I couldn't agree more.
06:29 PM on 07/16/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I feel like I'm alone in my thoughts on Ursa Major. I recently had a 5 hour car trip, in which I listened to the entire catalog - I forgot how great Out Of The Vein was from cover to cover. The first three albums are of such a high quality that "Can You Take Me," "One In Ten," "Summer Town," and "Why Can't You Be" being inferior to the Red Star version are enough to make it the worst of a strong discography.
eh I guess different opinions. I am in love with Ursa Major though. I never got the love for Out of the vein though. I guess just differences in tastes and experiences there.
06:55 PM on 07/16/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
eh I guess different opinions. I am in love with Ursa Major though. I never got the love for Out of the vein though. I guess just differences in tastes and experiences there.
Yeah, their catalog after s/t is debated a lot of different ways. I've heard a lot of people say that Out Of The Vein is their second best album, which is too high for me.

Very curious to hear what Reid brings with the next record - I'm not partial to the adjustments he's made to the live versions of classic songs.
07:06 PM on 07/16/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Yeah, their catalog after s/t is debated a lot of different ways. I've heard a lot of people say that Out Of The Vein is their second best album, which is too high for me.

Very curious to hear what Reid brings with the next record - I'm not partial to the adjustments he's made to the live versions of classic songs.
I think after s/t because it is so classic I can't say if I think its their best but most memorable I would say
Blue> Ursa Major > Out of the Vein

I am actually aware that is not really a popular opinion but that is how I have always viewed this band. Can't wait to hear more though.
08:29 PM on 07/16/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
"Motorcycle Drive By" and "God Of Wine" are two of my favorite songs ever.

Got this record from my dad and I will always hold that sentiment with it - so personal/nostalgic
08:20 AM on 07/17/12
ninthandash
ninthandash.com
User Info.
It's a grower, not a show-er. Really and truly, no album has grown on me as much as this one has.
09:22 AM on 07/17/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
It's a grower, not a show-er. Really and truly, no album has grown on me as much as this one has.
I absolutely love this comment, and completely agree.
11:58 AM on 07/17/12
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Haha, maybe when the fifth full-length releases, it'll give me an excuse to do that - I love that record dearly as well.
12:02 PM on 07/17/12
MonopolyMan
Whore's dont trip..they...
User Info.
this album is easily in my top 5 all time, probably even top 3..to me theyre underrated even with the success theyve had..i have a lot of tatts...but only one band made it on my arm...TEB.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests