AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Boys Like Girls - Crazy World EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.83
Musicianship 6.17
Lyrics 4.17
Production 6.92
Creativity 4.67
Lasting Value 4.08
Reviewer Tilt 5.17
Average: 57%
Inside AP.net

Boys Like Girls - Crazy World EP

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (07/16/12)
Boys Like Girls - Crazy World EP
Record Label: Columbia Records
Release Date: July 17th, 2012

It was early 2011 when Boys Like Girls almost called it a day for good. After finishing writing the follow-up to 2009's Love Drunk, the product turned out to be exactly what the band didn't want to conform to. As a result, the material was scrapped and Boys Like Girls took some time to themselves. Fed up with the state radio was heading in, frontman Martin Johnson took that time to escape from the bright lights of Los Angeles and headed to Music City -- Nashville, Tennessee. It was there that Johnson began branching out, working with writers like The Warren Brothers and Luke Laird, further perfecting his songwriting craft, that until now, heavily relied on just radio-ready pop jams. The outcome of Johnson's Nashville sessions is Boys Like Girls' third full-length, Crazy World, but first comes the Crazy World EP, setting the hype-machine into full swing for what is undoubtedly the band's most cohesive record in their career.

Although only three songs long, the Crazy World EP is a nice chunk of tracks that offer a glimpse into what can be expected on the full-length, and it's unlike anything the band has ventured into before. With that said, the band still stays true to the way they've always been, but implements far more instruments and structure instead of just the sugary hooks and the Disney-esque production found on Love Drunk. Production-wise this time around, Johnson controls the boards on each track, making them flow together effortlessly despite the difference in sound between them.

Lead single, "Be Your Everything," shows from Johnson's first note just how much better his vocals get each time he steps into a recording booth. The track is most reminicent of Love Drunk's "Two Is Better Than One," but it proves that ballads seem to work best in the band's favor when there's no guest counterpart. Additionally, a beautiful key change at the end affirms why "Be Your Everything" is bound to be one of the most successful singles in Boys Like Girls' catalog.

The Nashville influence comes to the surface huge in "Life of the Party," boasting a booming chorus and a feelgood party vibe without the need of a dancebeat. "Life of the Party" marks the first and biggest instance of Boys Like Girls' new found creativity, and for a band that was on track to become pop superstars with "The Great Escape," "Life of the Party" demonstrates perfectly that this new upbeat country-tinged sound suits them even better. The EP is rounded out by "The First Time," which continues the trend of powerful vocal performances from Johnson. Backed by another gigantic chorus, it's almost as if Boys Like Girls never took a break at all, because their endearing charisma and energy hasn't gone anywhere.

While Boys Like Girls is still the same band through and through, it isn't hard to see that the three songs on the Crazy World EP are a teaser for what will be a career defining record. Instead of following the orders of labels and the airwaves, they've found a way to push their musical boundaries to a level that will easily please both of those parties -- as well as the masses -- in the process. It was a risk that had to be taken, and one that could've ended in disaster, but Boys Like Girls will have no problem proving that they have this crazy world in the palm of their hand.

8.0/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Be Your Everything
02) Life of the Party
03) The First Time
Produced by: Martin Johnson

Boys Like Girls is:
Martin Johnson - vocals/guitar
Paul DiGiovanni - guitar
Morgan Dorr - bass
John Keefe - drums

Facebook - Amazon MP3 - Twitter

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45.
06:53 AM on 07/17/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
So a freaking catchy EP
07:22 AM on 07/17/12
Kris_Gontz9
Anklebiters.
User Info.
Dude's got a great voice and an awesome range. I won't expect too much from the new record, but i wish them luck if they wan't massive radio airplay (and with songs like "Be Your Everything" it's just a matter of time)
07:48 AM on 07/17/12
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
I'm curious to see what may come out of this. I really liked Love Drunk, maybe even more than the self-titled, but just because it was catchy as herpes.
08:05 AM on 07/17/12
fran.182
Euphoric disconnection
User Info.
Love Drunk was horrible except for three or four songs, this EP is a step up. Honestly, I thought they would once again go ahead with that shitty disney-pop sound, but after giving this one listen, I can say I was wrong. If it's like the EP, Crazy World might very well be their comeback album.

I just wish the lyrics were not so goddamn awful. I know they have never been strong in that department, but they were way better in the self-titled. At least, I could relate to them...
08:11 AM on 07/17/12
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Love Drunk was horrible except for three or four songs, this EP is a step up. Honestly, I thought they would once again go ahead with that shitty disney-pop sound, but after giving this one listen, I can say I was wrong. If it's like the EP, Crazy World might very well be their comeback album.

I just wish the lyrics were not so goddamn awful. I know they have never been strong in that department, but they were way better in the self-titled. At least, I could relate to them...
How is this anything but a Disney-pop sound? Love Drunk at least had traces of rock.
08:32 AM on 07/17/12
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
Their self-titled is still one of my favorite pop-punk albums, catchy as all hell.
Gonna give this a listen soon for sure
08:41 AM on 07/17/12
fran.182
Euphoric disconnection
User Info.
How is this anything but a Disney-pop sound? Love Drunk at least had traces of rock.
This sounds more mature. It's pop, yet it is Adult Top 40 radio kind of pop. They are heading in the direction of OneRepublic and The Fray. That's fine, in my opinion.

Love Drunk had traces of rock, I agree, but so what? At it's core it was pop music too. It was just more childish in a Busted or Jonas Brothers way.
09:03 AM on 07/17/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I loved their self-titled for its emo-pop songs, and Love Drunk was awesome pop-rock (the guitar work was pretty cool in it, plus they were some great songs).

The stand out track for me on the EP is First Time--I like the lyrics, the music, production. It all fits together seamlessly. Gotta agree, his voice has continually improved. It'll be interesting to see how this does compared to the other pop-rock adding country album out this year (A Rocket To The Moon).

Maybe both of them could open for Taylor Swift on her next tour. (I wish)
09:37 AM on 07/17/12
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've never seen/heard of a band specifically writing so hard to be more radio friendly until I heard this EP. They sold out SO hard. With that being said, the radio is going to eat the new album up if it's any bit like the EP. I guess that's what they want.
10:17 AM on 07/17/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Lyrics blow but vocals are good. Don't really expect to get back into this band with their new stuff but with them the best of luck.
10:20 AM on 07/17/12
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
For me, this band has always been a radio rock band, so props to them for finding a way to hopefully stay viable on the airwaves without ditching the instruments. Wonder what the original follow-up to Love Drunk sounded like.
10:43 AM on 07/17/12
Echelon2297
User Info.
i dont like it. none of their music compares to their first album
10:55 AM on 07/17/12
ship of fools
hello
User Info.
Be Your Everything reminds me of some Plain White T's song, post Hey There Delilah
12:36 PM on 07/17/12
1000Julys
User Info.
Hmm didn't care too much for their last album except for the singles. I'll give this a spin at work later, hoping its as good as y'all are saying.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests