AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Record Sales News - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 79.
01:32 PM on 07/18/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Also I have really been enjoying this album, and i have realllllllly been getting into the weeknd... who are some other similar artists to these two??

Buy D'Angelo's album Voodoo.

Immediately
Now
Do it
01:51 PM on 07/18/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Let me know your thoughts!
Ok, here are my thoughts on it from first listen (yes, I wrote a novel):

-The production on this is sooo good. Lots of church music sounds, nice to know he doesn't forget his roots. Humble, yet loud.
-Adding Rick Ross on "Accident Murderers" is so out of place. If you're going to do that, either put him at the end (or preferably not in there at all). Him and that Maybach stuff was corny. He reminds me of a rescue animal with a radio tied around its neck that repeats Maybach wherever it goes.
-"Daughters" is one of the best feel-good tracks. Doing the Talib/Common thing praising the female presence (not that they were the first), I love songs like that. His lyrics are usually always gems from a true poet. Sometimes there's really nothing to dissect about them, only admire…which is really easy to do to "World's An Addiction" and "Back When" - he really uses them as his open podium to free flow.
-Real nice Wu-Tang beat (meets MIA and a brief Tribe Called Quest sound) on "The Don". Even more interesting that it's a post-humous song for Heavy D.
-There's a couple of tracks that have that 80's New Edition feel to them like "Reach Out" and "You Wouldn't Understand", and I'm not sure what to think about that stuff yet. The local group that I told you about (The Great Outdoors) does the same thing with their track "Juvenile Delinquent" so it's not a new concept, but he wants to make them fit right in. I haven't gone back to Nas' older albums in a long time, so I'd have to revisit them in order to make other comments on the production, sound, emotion, lyrics, etc.
-"Stay" is the most unique track on it, imo. It's as if we've gone to beat-poet night in a small cafe and saw Nas improv for free.

What's interesting about this album is you get a little Roots, De La, Run DMC, Pharcyde, old Nas (can't remember which albums for now though) and more. I think it's gonna be well worth the hype. I might've changed the track order only slightly. When you're listening to 18 dense tracks, it feels like you've been there for awhile, and it kind of loses momentum for a second on a couple of the tracks near the end. It's kinda hard to pick a favorite track when I like 10 of them equally (I like the others as well, but 10 or so stand out for me), but maybe I'd go with "Loco-Motive".

Channel Orange is very ethereal. In that sense, I can understand people saying it "sucks" (a lot of my friends have, and just other comments I've seen) or that they "just don't get it". But CO's production far trumps Life is Good, hands down. It's on a whole other level. It's also kind of hard to compare the two considering, as you said, Nas is a rap legend. But not only that, it takes a certain kind of listener to appreciate it; if you're a fan of Stevie Wonder, Jill Scott, Jay Kay (Jamiroquai), Prince, you'll be all over it…Not saying he'll get increased sales because of his coming out, but you're right, his openness on that will help. People always want to hear something new this day and age, especially from the youth. That's where he's got an upperhand.
02:07 PM on 07/18/12
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
Makes sense, but as you can see predicted sales aren't always that accurate.

I guess I can see why you're using Best Buy as the rubric, but from what I understand, they're closing down their stores and they have competitors anyway. Their selection and prices aren't that great, either.

Well, this is a completely different topic, but you're incorrect to imply that the company is suffering. Best Buy was more profitable in 2011 than it was in 2010 and there aren't many businesses that can say that (especially in the field they're in).

Selection is based on stores. There are larger ones and there are smaller ones. That's all it really is. Normally, we carry all CD's I would ever be interested in, so I have no complaints there.

As for prices, $9.99 for new releases isn't anything I'm ever going to complain about. Go to Target and get new releases for $12.99 if you'd like to compare and contrast.

My whole point was that stores, not just Best Buy, are underestimating him, so his first week sales will not reflect the digital success. He'll probably sell more in the weeks to come as stores restock.
02:08 PM on 07/18/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Ok, here are my thoughts on it from first listen (yes, I wrote a novel):

-The production on this is sooo good. Lots of church music sounds, nice to know he doesn't forget his roots. Humble, yet loud.
-Adding Rick Ross on "Accident Murderers" is so out of place. If you're going to do that, either put him at the end (or preferably not in there at all). Him and that Maybach stuff was corny. He reminds me of a rescue animal with a radio tied around its neck that repeats Maybach wherever it goes.
-"Daughters" is one of the best feel-good tracks. Doing the Talib/Common thing praising the female presence (not that they were the first), I love songs like that. His lyrics are usually always gems from a true poet. Sometimes there's really nothing to dissect about them, only admire…which is really easy to do to "World's An Addiction" and "Back When" - he really uses them as his open podium to free flow.
-Real nice Wu-Tang beat (meets MIA and a brief Tribe Called Quest sound) on "The Don". Even more interesting that it's a post-humous song for Heavy D.
-There's a couple of tracks that have that 80's New Edition feel to them like "Reach Out" and "You Wouldn't Understand", and I'm not sure what to think about that stuff yet. The local group that I told you about (The Great Outdoors) does the same thing with their track "Juvenile Delinquent" so it's not a new concept, but he wants to make them fit right in. I haven't gone back to Nas' older albums in a long time, so I'd have to revisit them in order to make other comments on the production, sound, emotion, lyrics, etc.
-"Stay" is the most unique track on it, imo. It's as if we've gone to beat-poet night in a small cafe and saw Nas improv for free.

What's interesting about this album is you get a little Roots, De La, Run DMC, Pharcyde, old Nas (can't remember which albums for now though) and more. I think it's gonna be well worth the hype. I might've changed the track order only slightly. When you're listening to 18 dense tracks, it feels like you've been there for awhile, and it kind of loses momentum for a second on a couple of the tracks near the end. It's kinda hard to pick a favorite track when I like 10 of them equally (I like the others as well, but 10 or so stand out for me), but maybe I'd go with "Loco-Motive".

Channel Orange is very ethereal. In that sense, I can understand people saying it "sucks" (a lot of my friends have, and just other comments I've seen) or that they "just don't get it". But CO's production far trumps Life is Good, hands down. It's on a whole other level. It's also kind of hard to compare the two considering, as you said, Nas is a rap legend. But not only that, it takes a certain kind of listener to appreciate it; if you're a fan of Stevie Wonder, Jill Scott, Jay Kay (Jamiroquai), Prince, you'll be all over it…Not saying he'll get increased sales because of his coming out, but you're right, his openness on that will help. People always want to hear something new this day and age, especially from the youth. That's where he's got an upperhand.
I actually strangely liked the Rick Ross feature - and I'm not big on Rick Ross at all, haha. Although I think it would've been better off with another Nas verse instead.

I absolutely love "Reach Out", haha. It's been stuck in my head so much.

I like "Stay" except for the fact that on Royal Flush 2, Cyhi Da Prynce has a song that's Kanye produced and uses the exact same samples, so it was really odd hearing that again, haha.

I'm extremely biased towards this album, though. Hearing a song like "Bye Baby" while I'm in the situation I'm in just about guarantees I'm going to love this album more than anything else that comes out. I can't write a review of this album just because I know I have a very biased view on it.

I've finally gotten into Channel Orange, and I think in some instances it trumps Life Is Good in production, but I don't think it trumps Life Is Good as a whole in production for the sole fact that it was extremely well produced for the sake of Nas rapping on it, whereas transitions on Channel Orange felt too forced to me and destroyed the smoothness that I feel a Frank Ocean album SHOULD have. And I wasn't thinking that more people would decide to support him more and buy the album because of him coming out; I was more looking at it as people wondering about it because of hearing about him so much and deciding to give it a first try, therefore resulting in increased exposure and sales. But I think Frank would have the #1 first week sealed if he didn't split his purchases by releasing the album online early and waiting for physical sales. Frank's total sales will trump Nas's probably, but I don't think his second week sales will trump Nas's first week sales, especially considering how strongly the hip-hop community is going with Nas's release and the fact that it's the first time Nas has REALLY been pushed by a label in a long, long time.
02:09 PM on 07/18/12
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Well, this is a completely different topic, but you're incorrect to imply that the company is suffering. Best Buy was more profitable in 2011 than it was in 2010 and there aren't many businesses that can say that (especially in the field they're in).

Selection is based on stores. There are larger ones and there are smaller ones. That's all it really is. Normally, we carry all CD's I would ever be interested in, so I have no complaints there.

As for prices, $9.99 for new releases isn't anything I'm ever going to complain about. Go to Target and get new releases for $12.99 if you'd like to compare and contrast.

My whole point was that stores, not just Best Buy, are underestimating him, so his first week sales will not reflect the digital success. He'll probably sell more in the weeks to come as stores restock.
My city's Best Buy has great selection and prices, I definitely agree with you on that. Unless I'm in Austin at Waterloo Records, Best Buy is always my go-to.
02:13 PM on 07/18/12
JesseKilgannon
User Info.
Also I have really been enjoying this album, and i have realllllllly been getting into the weeknd... who are some other similar artists to these two??
All the artists mentioned above, and The-Dream. He's, in my opinion, the best songwriter of the past 30 years. The man is a genius.
02:14 PM on 07/18/12
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
My city's Best Buy has great selection and prices, I definitely agree with you on that. Unless I'm in Austin at Waterloo Records, Best Buy is always my go-to.

Where I live (I go to UC Santa Barbara), Best Buy is literally the only electronics store in the area. We have no Target, we have no Wal-mart, we have no Frys, etc. So I can't complain when I'm getting albums for 10 bucks, which is what I would normally pay for them through iTunes.
02:16 PM on 07/18/12
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Where I live (I go to UC Santa Barbara), Best Buy is literally the only electronics store in the area. We have no Target, we have no Wal-mart, we have no Frys, etc. So I can't complain when I'm getting albums for 10 bucks, which is what I would normally pay for them through iTunes.
I've gotten Erykah Badu and John Legend albums at Best Buy for $5; I love it.
02:16 PM on 07/18/12
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
User Info.
First album I bought in at least 4 years. so damn good.
02:21 PM on 07/18/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Frank's total sales will trump Nas's probably, but I don't think his second week sales will trump Nas's first week sales

Yeah, perhaps. As I said, if that happens, I think it'd be not only cause he's talented, but because this is the time for 90s kids to showcase their talents. When TTC came out and P4K hyped all the young artists up, everyone jumped on board. Now we have Joey, Spaceghost, Wiki, Logic, A$AP (love em or hate em), and the list goes on. It goes beyond age, but he's certainly at the right place in the right time.

And totally, I didn't mean GLAAD was ordering FO albums by the truckloads, but what you said pretty much. There are AP staffers who I didn't think listened to this music who have been checking him out.
02:21 PM on 07/18/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Where I live (I go to UC Santa Barbara), Best Buy is literally the only electronics store in the area. We have no Target, we have no Wal-mart, we have no Frys, etc.
That's one I've heard is better -- Frys. But yeah, Best Buy is more accessible since they're larger, have been around longer, and is the more recognizable name. And there's an article that talks about 50 locations shutting down. I guess it won't hurt them, but those residents will go elsewhere for their music if that was their primary go-to spot.
02:35 PM on 07/18/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Whoa whoa who's hating pretty flacko?
03:43 PM on 07/18/12
VIVALAMATT
Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
That's one I've heard is better -- Frys. But yeah, Best Buy is more accessible since they're larger, have been around longer, and is the more recognizable name. And there's an article that talks about 50 locations shutting down. I guess it won't hurt them, but those residents will go elsewhere for their music if that was their primary go-to spot.

50 of the larger warehouse stores that were not producing like they should've got shut down, yes. Because there are so many Best Buys, sometimes you have 2 stores in a 2 town radius and it's just not necessary. However, what the media doesn't talk about is how Best Buy after shutting down the 50 stores then opened up 100 new locations of Best Buy Mobile stores, which is an area in which Best Buy is thriving. The way I think of it, and this is what I tell customers that ask me, is that Best Buy is cutting the dead weight in an attempt to stay ahead of the curve. We're opening more of what we're good with and closing the 50 stores nation-wide (which is a really small percentage when you think of how many Best Buys there are) that weren't making enough money to stay open.

And I know this part is opinion-based, but Frys sucks. I've never had a good experience there. It's like Costco in terms of customer service. For example, I'm the camera guy at my Best Buy. I went into the Frys at my home town to check their selection and see if they had any new cameras that my BB store hadn't received yet. 2 minutes into the convo with the Frys employee in that department, I could tell he was not trained on cameras. A common misconception when it comes to BB employees: we are not commission and we are actually certified to work in our department. I went through a ton of training before I began working there. I've also never seen Frys selling products cheaper than Best Buy (it wouldn't matter anyhow, Best Buy has a price match guarantee).
03:47 PM on 07/18/12
_veges_
User Info.
Awesome to hear, it's great to see someone who's making good music and has talent sell a lot of records.
05:11 PM on 07/18/12
SupMikecheck
The Official @SupMikecheck
User Info.
him coming out a few days before album release date makes me wonder if it was to improve sales...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests