AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Artists Won't Be Getting Money From The Pirate Bay...

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (07/30/12)
Looks like money won in the Pirate Bay lawsuit won't go to artists after all.

Submitted by topher465

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
11:20 AM on 07/30/12
mattjritter
USMNT ♦ AVFC
User Info.
What a joke.
11:25 AM on 07/30/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
This practice should seriously be illegal. Occupy should do something with their lives and sit on the RIAA's lawn, because they're the real problem people... They take money in the name of other people, and then never give it over.
11:29 AM on 07/30/12
schmohawk
schmucko supremo
User Info.
Of course it won't..
11:34 AM on 07/30/12
jmac3444
User Info.
What a shock. The music industry screws over its moneymakers.
11:40 AM on 07/30/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Not that I agree with the artist not getting any of the money, but when the author of the article writes "The biggest losers when music gets pirated are, without question, the artists." you can tell he is a complete moron who doesn't actually understand the issues with piracy.

Yes, artists lose some from piracy, and its easy to use the artists as the victim card to argue against piracy, but piracy also helps artists in gaining exposure. This is why a lot of pirates justify their actions by saying "Oh I'll just buy merch at a show" or "If a band wants to make a profit they should go and tour more, live shows are where the money is now". Of course, these are both just selfish excuses but there is a kernel of truth to them.

The real losers in piracy are the labels, which is why the labels tend to be very anti-piracy at the musicians tend to, at worst, be like I'd rather you didn't pirate. And that is because while musicians are doing what they do out of a love for music, and can make some profit off shows / selling merch, and so tend to be content for the exposure and the fact that fans want to listen to their record, labels don't have any other sources of profit. The formula works as follows; they sign a band, they put money into that band, and they sell that bands music to make more money so they can sign more bands. They probably aren't going to get much from tour sales, so they rely on people actually buying the music. And anyone who claims that what a label does is unnecessary and doesn't actually do anything for the band except take money, point out all the bands that have gotten really successful without the help of a label.

Now, of course, a lot of labels are not doing this out of a love for music, they are doing it because there is a ton of profit in music. And there is a ton of profit in lawsuits. And sharing the windfall with artists would mean less profits. But I don't think labels are inherently evil, they are just often run by people who are.
12:00 PM on 07/30/12
SensesFailTY
User Info.
It's been the music industry that has been the thieves the whole time. They have been stealing from artists since day one. They just don't like competition. Corrupt just like everything else.
12:20 PM on 07/30/12
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
damn legal people need to find their own planet to live on
12:28 PM on 07/30/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
did it really?!
12:40 PM on 07/30/12
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
Of course not. Nobody really thinks the music labels want their artists to make money like they do. It's such a broken busted system.
12:49 PM on 07/30/12
SkywayTraffic
Skyway Traffic
User Info.
This is surprising?
01:27 PM on 07/30/12
letdownagain
All my love to long ago.
User Info.
Not that I agree with the artist not getting any of the money, but when the author of the article writes "The biggest losers when music gets pirated are, without question, the artists." you can tell he is a complete moron who doesn't actually understand the issues with piracy.

Yes, artists lose some from piracy, and its easy to use the artists as the victim card to argue against piracy, but piracy also helps artists in gaining exposure. This is why a lot of pirates justify their actions by saying "Oh I'll just buy merch at a show" or "If a band wants to make a profit they should go and tour more, live shows are where the money is now". Of course, these are both just selfish excuses but there is a kernel of truth to them.

The real losers in piracy are the labels, which is why the labels tend to be very anti-piracy at the musicians tend to, at worst, be like I'd rather you didn't pirate. And that is because while musicians are doing what they do out of a love for music, and can make some profit off shows / selling merch, and so tend to be content for the exposure and the fact that fans want to listen to their record, labels don't have any other sources of profit. The formula works as follows; they sign a band, they put money into that band, and they sell that bands music to make more money so they can sign more bands. They probably aren't going to get much from tour sales, so they rely on people actually buying the music. And anyone who claims that what a label does is unnecessary and doesn't actually do anything for the band except take money, point out all the bands that have gotten really successful without the help of a label.

Now, of course, a lot of labels are not doing this out of a love for music, they are doing it because there is a ton of profit in music. And there is a ton of profit in lawsuits. And sharing the windfall with artists would mean less profits. But I don't think labels are inherently evil, they are just often run by people who are.

I think it should be mentioned that the set up of a band touring and making money off merch while their music gets pirated doesn't go on forever. If the music is getting pirated, a label is going to look at that, decide how much of a money generating venture a band is and either contribute with them or drop them. They aren't going to give a band money to tour when it's a losing investment. I don't think as that black and white as the labels being more a victim as then the artists, which is where I feel like you're leaning. Labels tend to have longer life spans than bands do and more chances for commercial success.
01:45 PM on 07/30/12
Amongster
Up Into The Upswing
User Info.
Nobody saw this coming.
02:28 PM on 07/30/12
luqmanhakim
Registered Member
User Info.
Nobody saw this coming.

Lol this. Doubt any of the artists were actually counting on that to happen too.
02:30 PM on 07/30/12
Sherrice
http://twitter.com/sherrice
User Info.
"oh wow what a shock" said no one.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music