Garbage Elitist - 07.14.12
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
I've noticed that a lot of punk bands have an elitist attitude when it comes to music and I'm certainly not excluded from that. At the same time, I recognize how ridiculous that is. I mean, I play punk music, right? Punk music is notoriously bad.
2. How did this band get started?
I was in a band with my ex-girlfriend, but she was creatively draining. After our breakup, I just really felt the need to release about three years of a creative drought and this band formed. I think in one drunken month, I wrote and recorded an entire album of demos.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
One of my biggest influence is Bomb the Music Industry! I've always been inspired by the donation-based DIY ethos they seem to have over there. I've purchased every single one of their records without hesitation. But the band that made me who I am is a short-lived punk band from the 90s called New Speedway Kings. My uncle played guitar and sang with them before he died in 1997. I never really got to meet him much, because he lived in San Francisco during my youth, but there's not a doubt in my mind that I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for their music.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Andrew Jackson Jihad. Nicest guys I've ever met in my life. There's not even a question.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well, for one, it's free. And I think I put a lot of energy into it. I'd like to think that translates well into the music.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Brett Hull. I was named after the guy and hockey is the only sport worth playing.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Oh, man. I don't even know. Can punks win Grammys? Is that against the rules?
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would just stop kids from getting sued over stealing music. Kinda sucks that they get their entire lives ruined because they stole music during a time when they didn't have expendable income in the first place.
10. Memorable tour experience?
I don't get out much.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's the biggest punk community on the internet. That certainly says something.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
I can't even pretend that my own songs are my favorite. I always play "Heartless" by Fake Problems when a guitar falls into my hands. It's just really fun and natural to play.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Seattle. Love me some rain.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Green Day, Green Day, Green Day. The first cassette I bought was Nimrod and the first CD I bought was Insomniac. Before that, we already had Dookie on tape. I remember playing Lion King on my Sega Genesis with Dookie blasting through the speakers.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd take the power to stop time. There's always something to do and it'd be great to just be able to stop time and appreciate things for a moment.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not a single one. I'm not a superstitious man.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
They probably don't know my love for 90's sitcoms. Seriously, sit me down in front of Roseanne or Seinfeld and I'm a happy man.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Oh man. I haven't listened to the radio in years. I don't think punk bands really flourish on the radio, do they? I guess some do. But probably never me.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I play a lot of video games. Latest time-wasters are Red Orchestra 2 and Fallout: New Vegas.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
It's not terribly hidden, but I'm a pretty good programmer. Still learning a lot, but well on my way.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |