Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 23 of 23.
01:16 PM on 08/06/12
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Disappointing album, i wasn't expecting it to sound as disjointed and boring especially with a guitarist as talented as Joshua Travis. Nothing stands out at all
05:37 PM on 08/06/12
lovemetal24
User Info.
I think the problem with this album is that musically it's a little ahead of its time. You really have to listen to this album multiple times to get the effect. Musically it's insane, now I think where it lacks are the vocal melodies, they just don't hit. But, I think they are going to steal the show at the AP 2012 tour. The album is really fucking good, just takes time, and puts most of the other bands within this genre to shame.
09:48 AM on 08/08/12
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
I don't care how complex the guitar work is...the music is just boring. Their are plenty of bands out there that are just as complex that make their music a lot more interesting / catchy as this.
Except in that genre, people that don't get it usually find it boring. Most people can't get into Meshugga because the music is too boring to them. But if you know anything about music theory, you probably love Meshugga.
03:45 PM on 08/08/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
Except in that genre, people that don't get it usually find it boring. Most people can't get into Meshugga because the music is too boring to them. But if you know anything about music theory, you probably love Meshugga.
I get it..I listen to a lot of bands in that genre, in fact its one of my favorite genres i.e. prog metal. I just think these songs are very underwhelming and don't really stand out at all. I get all the crazy 8-string guitar work going on and I understand the thought and complexity behind it, but none of these songs really grabbed me. Also i would say I appreciate meshuggah more than I love them. They too bore me a bit even if they do have one of the best modern metal drummers playing crazy polyrythms..I just find bands like Textures, Cynic, East of the wall, TesseracT, Uneven structures etc. to do the whole complex music thing and still sound interesting and enjoyable.
06:44 PM on 09/26/12
Jason Cox
User Info.
I really don't like Jerry Roush, but I will admit the man is extremely talented. However, this album feels thrown together to me. It's not cohesive enough and there is just too much going on at times. I'm all about busy, progressive music like The Dillinger Escape Plan, but so many of the tones and riffs sound out of place. However, I do see the potential here.
10:13 AM on 10/02/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When I first heard this record I thought it sounded way too much like Periphery but it's really grown on me. I don't think it's more than the sum of its parts but the parts are awesome so it works out alright. I was very skeptical when Jerry announced the lineup because I didn't know if he'd be able to hang with musical heavyweights like this (although he WAS in a band with Travis Orbin) but they absolutely kill together.
10:15 AM on 10/02/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know a fair share of theory and Meshuggah bores me to death. They can obviously play and they can obviously handle weird shit but they typically sound like they're writing for the sake of complexity instead of using complexity as a tool. Yeah, we get it, you can play ostinatos in weird time signatures...
05:21 PM on 08/11/13
kevindadbrewer
Kevin Brewer
User Info.
I had low expectations for this not being a fan of either band (only a fan of Josh Travis' work), but this album blew my expectations completely. It's a very solid release. His guitar tones are top notch. And it's really good to hear Jerry's harsher dirty vocals in something a bit heavier.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests