AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Money News - Page 14
Displaying posts 195 - 210 of 234.
04:44 PM on 08/03/12
Beatzero
User Info.
First I'd like to thank you for actually taking the time to explain this out instead of insulting me in all caps like a 4 year old.

Second maybe I'm wrong then, this is not how it was explained to me by a friend who makes dubstep which is the extent of my understanding of their live perform.
Basically I was told that everything was already tracked up and automatically began at its set time.

You can track up everything beforehand, and I'm sure there are many that do. However, respected DJs don't do this, and to actually make good music in a live setting (as opposed to simply opening up iTunes and hitting play), you need to change up your already pre-recorded tracks/stems, not just play them the same as they were recorded. People catch on pretty quick if your song sounds the exact same in a club as it does on their iPod.

Pretty sure Sonny puts on more of a live performance than a lot of bands. See: Between The Buried and Me.

Now that's getting into some dangerous territory.
04:48 PM on 08/03/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
You can track up everything beforehand, and I'm sure there are many that do. However, respected DJs don't do this, and to actually make good music in a live setting (as opposed to simply opening up iTunes and hitting play), you need to change up your already pre-recorded tracks/stems, not just play them the same as they were recorded. People catch on pretty quick if your song sounds the exact same in a club as it does on their iPod.

Now that's getting into some dangerous territory.
They are musically sound, proficient in every aspect of their instruments. But with that being said, they don't put on much of a live show, they pretty much stand there. Which I suppose is needed for their technicality, just saying, nothing I would consider to be a "fun" live show.
04:59 PM on 08/03/12
bowbzzz
User Info.
Dude makes 15 million a year, he doesn't set up anymore, he doesn't tear down, he doesn't help with merch anymore, he lets his crew handle it. Just like any artist making that kind of money, they have people doing that stuff for him now. the most strenous thing he has to do anymore is perform, which mostly consists of hitting play and adding a few effects to make it special along the way. there are far too many separate tracks involved for him to be recreating each track live like a band does. It's just not possible with the kind of music he makes. It'd be like Alex Gaskarth trying to play 4 instruments at once while singing.
yah, because all he has to do for the rest of his life is play the same set and press play. you're a moron.
05:13 PM on 08/03/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not saying originally making them isn't as difficult as any other form of recording, I'm saying that the life performance does not consist of him hammering away at his MacBook remaking the tracks like a band does when they play their songs live.
Dude, you are comparing apples and oranges. It is impossible for a DJ to recreate their music live in the way you are suggesting. I would love to see you spin a 20 minute DJ set. It's not pressing play then stopping then starting another song. I don't think you understand how difficult beat-matching is.
05:25 PM on 08/03/12
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
Pretty sure Sonny puts on more of a live performance than a lot of bands. See: Between The Buried and Me.

No way. Go watch BTBAM perform "Colors" in its entirety. Skrillex's set consists of triggered videos,smoke and lasers. Typical for the bigger EDM artists.
07:16 PM on 08/03/12
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
well i mean he did win a couple grammy's so i'm sure a few people are eating his tunes up, just like any grammy winner. at least he has been doing this for several years now and didn't jump on the bandwagon, he was one that kinda made the bandwagon or put it out there anyway. i don't see this being a lasting high tho. congrats to the fella tho. went from quitting fftl from a busted voice to struggling for a while to making some big dollhairs.
10:06 PM on 08/03/12
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
not my thing at all, but if you can make millions of dollars doing this kind of thing, all the power to you.
do i think its lame? of course.
is sonny stupid for quitting fftl to start doing dubstep? not if he genuinely loves it.
get over the hate and accept that this man is doing something, while you cry about him 'making underserved paper money'.
10:41 PM on 08/03/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
dude raaaaaaaakes it in, gonna buy a shit ton of macbooks and equipment and programs and shit and get even better and make mooooore.
11:17 PM on 08/03/12
Liciakasher
This is where the fish lives
User Info.
As long as he pays his taxes and donates to charity, i don't care.
12:43 AM on 08/04/12
Journey408
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That band was done after Sonny left.

their 2 albums after he left were dope
03:24 AM on 08/04/12
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
I respect these guys for what they do, but seriously they are WAY overpaid. Guys in legit, signed bands bust their asses touring the world and leaving their families for months on end and don't even make 1/10 of what these DJ's make.
I forgot that DJs don't have families...
05:23 AM on 08/04/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
When I went out last night, Bangarang came on. It got EVERYONE hyped as hell. Fact is, he makes music that is great when you're out in a club, regardless of how much you hate it, that is simply a fact.
05:24 AM on 08/04/12
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
Damn. Respect!
06:34 AM on 08/04/12
MALKiiN
User Info.
mad jelly
06:50 AM on 08/04/12
mattyrocks
User Info.