AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Dirty Panties - 07.27.12

Interviewed by
The Dirty Panties - 07.27.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Dirty Panties

www.thedirtypanties.com
www.squidhatrecords.com

The Dirty Panties are:

Barbara - Guitar
Moe - Bass
Melanie - Vocals
Animal - Drums

1. How did you get your band name?

Barbara: We aren't certain exactly how we came up on the name or decided on it. It was in New York, well before the band actually developed. Still, pretty great name for an all-girl punk band, eh?

2. How did this band get started?

Barbara:
We were in a bar one night in 2001 and just decided that we should start our own band. We met the following week with no idea of how to even play our instruments. It was fun so we continued to meet and practice, take lessons and write songs.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Moe:
Red hot chili peppers, no doubt, smashing pumpkins, distillers, bad religion

Barbara: Weezer, Modest Mouse, Bad Religion

Animal: Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and The Mars Volta (Animal)

Melanie: Honestly, I am influenced by anything that moves me viscerally. I try not to close myself off too much... although, I can't say I'm a huge fan of country. I'm not influenced by country.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be
and why?

Moe: Distillers. I love Brody and the style of band they were. I also want the Dead Weather. It would be an amazing night of pure ROCK and girls. That would be awesome!

Animal: Incubus because they are awesome.

Melanie:
Queen - to witness Freddie Mercury live has to have been epic. The Clash - moving to them live would have been like going home. The Quitters - because, there's nothing like touring with family. Michael Jackson - how insane, in every sense... I mean come on. Janis Jopilin - to know what a legend in their own time was truly like. The Dirty Panties - because, I have a feeling that this could be GREAT!!!

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Moe: Sushi, chilli cheese fries, Mtn Dew

Barbara:
Sushi

Animal: Chik-Fil-A

Melanie:
Anything you don't feel too much of later.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Moe: We have too much fun!!! We are true performers and have a great time rocking out. We talk a lot about girl issues, parties, situations we have been in. I think people can relate to our music. We all come from different parts of the usa and have different thoughts on everything. We get along so well that we feed off of each other especially musically.

Animal: Because their ears might like us!

Melanie: I think that we'll surprise you. Throw your preconceived notions of "girl band" out the window and listen to our music. We aren't hiding behind some gimmick, and we love doing what we do. I'm sure you will too. You should never not want to love more music!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places
with?

Animal: Tom Hanks as the ping pong guy in Forest Gump.

Melanie: Hmmmmm....MICHAEL JORDAN!!!!!!!! runners up: Michael Phelps, or Usain Bolt

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Barbara & Moe:
My family and my friends.

Animal:
Jesus and my family.

Melanie: My mother, father, and my sister...for putting up with me as long as they have. Hopefully a Grammy can help ease the pain.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it
be?

Moe: I would make more record labels so we can have more music in the world. Let the artist be the artist.

Animal: Be less about look and more about sound. Music should be for ears, not eyes.

Melanie:
The thought that everyone must sound, think, and like the same old shit. Evolution is necessary. Stop selling me the same song over and over! I hated it the first time.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Moe: Going fishing in San Diego and we told the boy band we were touring with we would catch dinner, fish and lobster for all. Well we ended up catching a 6' seaweed, a roof twice, and a 3' baby fish. Well it was worth the thought.

Animal: When Barbara falls.

Melanie: Anytime I make Barbara mad. :)

Barbara: I like to travel and play a show...it's all fun!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Barbara
: We just discovered AbsolutePunk when our CD was released. What a great resource.

Melanie: I particularly like Free Music Friday. Great way to hear new bands and see how much talent is out there.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Barbara & Moe:
I Am A Robot

Animal:
InTentCity

Melanie: Confighted - I have my reasons.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Moe: Sedona, AZ; camping on the beach in San Clemente; Paris.

Barbara: Alaska, NY, California and London and Amsterdam were pretty awesome.

Animal: Hawaii

Melanie: Still taking submissions

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Moe: Old school 90s punk rock

Animal:
Backstreet Boys, Hansen, and Savage Garden

Melanie: Billie Holiday, Whitney Houston, Boys To Men, The Three Tenors, John Denver, Queen, Green Day, and Nirvana.

Barbara: New Kids on the Block

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Moe: My super hero power would be to fly and read minds. I love to drive fast; love that birds can just go and get where ever they need even if there is traffic. I love people and love to know their true thoughts!

Animal: Flying so I wouldn’t have to get up as early to drive anywhere.

Melanie
: The ability to control energy. Then, the opportunities are endless.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Moe
: I have to at least have a beer. I'm superstitious, but not really before a show.

Animal:
H2O

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Moe: I was a professional dancer and I was a drummer for 15 years or so before I learned the bass.

Animal: I love Jesus

Melanie:
Small groups of people make me nervous.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Moe: Yes....... The radio plays the same thing over and over again and it makes it hard to listen. I heard us on the radio and it was like a movie - I was jumping and screaming and saying "We're on the radio!" It was a memorable moment!

Animal: I think radio is actually ok right now. Yes, we might be able to flourish.

Melanie: I think the current state of radio is caught between a rock and a hard place. The Dirty Panties aren't afraid of that. I think we will fit in just fine.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Moe: I love outdoor activities, hanging with friends and family. I love to dance and socialize. Recently I'm into movie in the pool at the Panty Lair.

Barbara:
Making short stupid videos, taking road trips with friends and family, spending time with my friends and family.

Animal: Hang out with friends.

Melanie
: Live

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Moe: If you hand me an imported beer I can get the top off with almost anything!

Animal: I can touch my tongue to my nose.

Melanie: Nothing I can mention here ;)

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums