AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Legal News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

No Doubt vs Activision Trial Goes Forward

Posted by - 02:33 PM on 08/06/12
The trial between No Doubt and Activision over "Band Hero" is expected to go in front of a jury on October 15th. There's also a small interview between Gamespot and No Doubt's lawyer, here.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
02:48 PM on 08/06/12
Merve
Pennycan Champion
User Info.
As much as I don't care specifically about No Doubt winning or losing this lawsuit - they're all millionaires, after all - hopefully this discourages Activision from pulling the same kind of crap with smaller artists who don't have the financial wherewithal to sue multi-billion-dollar corporations.
03:10 PM on 08/06/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Their new single is so fucking catchy
03:46 PM on 08/06/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
As much as I don't care specifically about No Doubt winning or losing this lawsuit - they're all millionaires, after all - hopefully this discourages Activision from pulling the same kind of crap with smaller artists who don't have the financial wherewithal to sue multi-billion-dollar corporations.
Oh don't worry, Guitar Hero is pretty much dead at this point so that won't happen.
04:03 PM on 08/06/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Such a dumb lawsuit. I loathe Activision (I barely cover any of their games on my site), but No Doubt seems greedy. Taylor Swift was also in Band Hero, and a few other popular acts. They aren't suing, it's just pointless.
04:08 PM on 08/06/12
transitrock
young brash hopeful
User Info.
just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you should be taken advantage of. good for ND.
04:10 PM on 08/06/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
just because you are wealthy doesn't mean you should be taken advantage of. good for ND.

They really weren't though.
04:12 PM on 08/06/12
transitrock
young brash hopeful
User Info.
i'd say let the court decide that.
04:16 PM on 08/06/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
Well then.
04:16 PM on 08/06/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Nothing will happen, maybe a settlement at best.
04:41 PM on 08/06/12
Sfudgie1985
User Info.
what is this lawsuit about?
04:55 PM on 08/06/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.

Basically, the band is featured as avatars in the game performing their songs. There's an Easter egg that allows you to perform any song on the game with the band performing the song. The band is somehow upset by this harmless at best feature and is suing Activision for it.
04:55 PM on 08/06/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Their avatars were used to perform other people's songs. So you could make Gwen sing a Taylor Swift song or something gnarly. It's such a dumb lawsuit...
07:07 PM on 08/06/12
ZackBagofDouche
User Info.
No Doubt sued Activision in November 2009, claiming the publisher had no contractual right to allow the group's in-game avatars to be used to perform other artists' songs. The band took exception in its suit with having individual band members perform other artists' songs, particularly those that include suggestive lyrics such as The Rolling Stones' "Honky Tonk Women." The suit claims this action turns the band "into a virtual karaoke circus act."

Well, it is a god damn video GAME. I guess suggestive lyrics are worse than Gwen's suggestive dress.
07:10 PM on 08/06/12
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Don't they have suggestive songs too?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT