AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fitzo Perfecto - Biochemical Pathway to the Mind [OR]... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Fitzo Perfecto - Biochemical Pathway to the Mind [OR]...

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (12/17/07)
Fitzo Perfecto - Biochemical Pathway to the Mind [OR] The Odd Behavioral Response
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 29, 2007

Singer-songwriter Lucas Bode is the voice and musician behind the ambient-pop figure Fitzo Perfecto. Bode is a native of Upstate New York hailing from the suburbs of Somers and Saratoga Springs. He designs melodic patterns with world music imagery that resembles the stress-free sound waves of Radiohead. His latest release under the moniker Fitzo Perfecto is Biochemical Pathway to the Mind [OR] The Odd Behavioral Response. Though the album title sounds like a medical term paper, the music is really mellow and fueled by lightly sonic synths, softly rotating harmonies, and repeated rhythmic patterns that are tenderly kneaded and tamed comparable to Thom Yorke. The music has a peaceful echo and soft tint with an easy-going momentum that is reminiscent of Sweden’s Emil Svanagen (aka Loney, Dear). The rolling pacifying synths and guitar patterns along with Bode’s feather-light vocals make for a comfortably melodic-pop album showing ambient-pop features that glisten with a crystalline shine.

Tracks like “The Great Compromise Part I,” “The Great Compromise Part II,” and “The Great Compromise Part III” have starry synth patterns with ethereal psychedelics, a sleek sheen, and a sense of serenity. The music has a symphonic glaze and a serpentine flow, with art-pop hooks. Ephemeral guitar patterns interlace the synths in songs like “Absurdest Poem,” “Faith is a Facet (Not a Fact),” and the title track. These songs are wreathed in folk-art stylizing and an ambient-pop fare. “Chipmunks and Consciousness” has melodic guitar riffs and a dreamy vocal register reminiscent of John Mayer, and the glockenspiel chimes on “Snow in April” dot the sprinkles of synth showers with gentle ministrations. There is a European soft-pop ambiance in tracks like “The Doomsday Generation,” “Exodus,” and “Optimist (Pessimist)” with vocal overdubs that create a choir of voices which are lifted by passages of orchestral-filled synths.

The lyrics have an artistic folk scope like in the song “Anti-Punk” when Bode contemplates, “I don’t want to riot anymore, I can’t stand the bore of it all / It’s been four years non-stop, it’s time to drop the ruse / I don’t want to drink booze again / I’m losing my friends I thought I had… so what’s really going on here / Maybe I’m just anti-punk.” Bode’s lyrics look inside himself and his music creates a serene ambiance for the expedition. His vocals are very gentle on tracks like “Ignore the Masses” and “Letters to the Physical World” which moves in harmony with the easy listening atmosphere.

All songs on Biochemical Pathway to the Mind [OR] The Odd Behavioral Response are produced, engineered, and performed by Lucas Bode. It’s an ambitious effort, which relates Fitzo Perfecto’s music to soft-pop outfits like The Decemberists. The music may not be distinguishable to Fitzo Perfecto, but its mellowness is pacifying and the light symphonic synths and guitar patterns have an elegant consonance that flattens any chord friction between the instruments and keeps the music placidly metered along the rhythm sections.

LinksAP.net Profile | MySpace (download free)

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News