AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Maine, The - The Way We Talk EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.98
Musicianship 6.62
Lyrics 6.38
Production 6.96
Creativity 6.06
Lasting Value 6.64
Reviewer Tilt 7
Average: 67%
Inside AP.net

Maine, The - The Way We Talk EP

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (12/17/07)
The Maine - The Way We Talk EP
Label: Fearless Records
Release: December 11th, 2007

I'm going to be the first one to admit that, as of late, I have become somewhat desensitized by pop punk (or more so pop). It's like I hit a wall somewhere in my youth, and now I can't get into half the stuff I used to like. But back at the beginning of this year when I first heard The Maine, I knew they were going to get signed, and I know now that they are going to be huge. Maybe not Fall Out Boy huge, but they will be national headlining huge someday. With this effort, called The Way We Talk, they stepped it up - trying to put themselves as far out there as possible, trying to let people know that they might be a bunch of teenagers but they're here to work and have fun.

The Way We Talk begins with my personal favorite track, "If I Only Had The Heart", which is one of the new tracks they did for their record. I can see it being one of those tracks in a few years that's done acoustic that everyone who is a fan of this band will have (Similarly to Yellowcard's "Rough Draft"). The next track, "The Way We Talk", the track the EP is named after tells the story of a girl whom has a "Cute face, slim waste, [she's] got them in a craze" but is "fresh to death, but not so clean". You know, that song about the girl that everyone wants but nobody gets because she's just a flirt (or gets with everyone). I expect this kind of song on this record, and while they're not too original, this one is itself is just tons of fun. The guitar part and vocalist John O'Callaghan go awesome together on this song. After the bouncy track, "Give Me Anything" we get to the slowest track on the record, "We Change, We Wait". These two tracks make me realize what exactly I like about The Maine. They don't overdo it like many of their counterparts. It's simple and catchy. They're still pretty young yet I'm already enjoying their music. Most of their peers are in their 20's writing the same sort of songs that I'm not enjoying. They literally have a ton of untapped potential and already I'm enjoying myself. The last track on this short little EP is "The Town's Been Talkin'", which tells a story about the girl whom "Is in love with love, but not with him".They even throw in a little piano(keyboard) and tambourine on this last track.

This EP doesn't come without its flaws. For their full length, I hope they write a few less songs about "that girl", "this girl", you know what I mean. While I know they're teenage kids and most of the people that are going to be buying this record are teenage girls, I hope they write a few more songs about different things, or at least make them a bit more original. But I guess this is all just expected right now. Also, do not compare this band to say... Cute Is What We Aim For. I realize they were both the same age when they started their bands, both have a girl on the front cover of their first record, and well, might even do a tour together someday. This band is not them, they're much more fun and to the point.

2007 was a great year for The Maine - they put out two EP's and got signed to Fearless Records. But 2008 is going to be much bigger for them. I'm expecting to hear about them much more often once their full length is out. I'm expecting Warped Tours and headline tours soon enough. It will all come with the territory, and I'm happy it'll be them and not someone else. Also, if you buy the record on Itunes, make sure you check out their solid cover of Akon's "I Wanna Love You". It's totally worth it.

Recommended If You LikeThe Starting Line - With Hopes Of Starting Over, Plain White T's - Stop, Yellowcard - One For The Kids, songs about girls (positive and negative)
Track List1. If I Only Had The Heart
2. The Way We Talk
3. Give Me Anything
4. We Change, We Wait
5. The Town's Been Talkin'

Myspace
Smartpunk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 67.
11:58 AM on 12/17/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Quote:
"Cute face, slim waste, [she's] got them in a craze" but is "fresh to death, but not so clean".

I love this EP but those lyrics sound like they're right out of a ciwwaf song. I don't get how people can't see the similarities between the two, especially vocally.
12:06 PM on 12/17/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
I love this EP but those lyrics sound like they're right out of a ciwwaf song. I don't get how people can't see the similarities between the two, especially vocally.

The vocals is where I think they're most different. I don't get where you get CIWWAF from that. John sounds more like Kenny Vasoli than anything.
12:25 PM on 12/17/07
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
I love this band. I'm excited to see what the future holds for them.
02:25 PM on 12/17/07
xxno_promisesxx
I read more maps than books
User Info.
ahh I love this EP. I bought it on Itunes the other day and I havent stopped listening to it. The first time I listened to the entire EP I wasnt too into them but the more and more I started listening the more and more into it I got. I can listen to The Way We Talk and The Town's Been Talkin' over and over again.
03:48 PM on 12/17/07
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Good review and I already said it but I will say it again. I heart this ep hahaha
04:04 PM on 12/17/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Great Review Nathan. However, I don't see how the creativity is that high. Many bands from the Arizona area are similar or close to a Maine rip off. Also, the lyrics are something they desire. I wish every song didn't have to do with sex or a relationship.

Anyways, stellar review. awesome ep.
09:26 AM on 12/18/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I bought my little sister this EP for Christmas. She's gonna love it. And I got her the new TSL album too. I am determined to turn into a little music kid.
11:01 AM on 12/18/07
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
I'd like to check out this EP actually. I normally can't stand music like this anymore, but I was hooked by their Akon cover, ha. my friend also did their EP artwork/myspace. so I was almost forced to check them out.
11:14 AM on 12/18/07
serpent_sky
misanthropic lycanthrope
User Info.
Wow, I'm surprised by this review. I actually just got this CD and all I could think was, "wildly generic."
It's not bad, but it's not memorable. There's nothing that made it stick with me, and I got really bored about halfway through, to the point of having a "wait -- what am I listening to?' moment.
11:27 AM on 12/18/07
turbo>thanlaser
I'm comfortable under your skin.
User Info.

Pretty much exactly what I thought about them, not to mention the similarities in artwork.
11:30 AM on 12/18/07
CP_Ree
pewp
User Info.

It's funny because I just ran across this band last night and yes... first impression was a more mature'd CIWWAF. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is pop, it is catchy. I like it and it's not as lyrically "corny"? as CIWWAF (though it works for them and to that, I say, it's ok)... This band has potential, whether or not they have the staying power will depend on how mature or different or evolved the full length will sound when they get to that. Vocally though, the singer has a great voice. Now I'd like to see it live to really judge it.
11:51 AM on 12/18/07
ManicanParty49
Rob Carey Peterson
User Info.
The vocals is where I think they're most different. I don't get where you get CIWWAF from that. John sounds more like Kenny Vasoli than anything.

I thought the same thing Nate. Haha, they definitely take influence from The Starting Line. A lot of the progressions and guitar phrasings sound like TSL too.
11:57 AM on 12/18/07
MCSmate
I'm wide awake, it's morning
User Info.

I agree also.
There was an interview with Pat from Fueled By Photography and this is one of the questions with his answer:

-What bands have you been compared to?

Alot of people say that John's voice remind's them of Kenny from The starting line. Thats about all ive heard.
11:58 AM on 12/18/07
MCSmate
I'm wide awake, it's morning
User Info.
Also, good review. The EP is good, and I must say better than some other pop-punk, poppy bands around today.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests