Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 202.
05:45 AM on 08/09/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
The score is very correct. Same thing I would've rated for Handwritten as well.
06:01 AM on 08/09/12
dontsneeze
User Info.
I disagree with your scoring as well. If you describe it as a "very good effort" but just think that the timing is bad, then shouldn't "Reviewer Tilt" be your lowest score?
06:18 AM on 08/09/12
ACA
Next Show: Braid / ABPOL @ NJ 7/23
User Info.
I Call Fives > The Wonder Years, or Transit, or Fireworks
06:50 AM on 08/09/12
uglystar03
User Info.
Nope. Just plain wrong. Especially not Fireworks. I'd love to see them TRY to write an album as good as Gospel.
07:04 AM on 08/09/12
rocketcat
User Info.
I disagree with the score, this is a great pop-punk album and they put on a great live show too, lots of energy on stage.
07:18 AM on 08/09/12
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.

It's hilarious how laughable this is. Those are the 3 bands that first come to mind when I think of pop punk bands actually growing as a band and in their songwriting skills.

I like this. It's not that the second half is bad, it's just that the first half is so good. They should've paced the record a little better in my opinion.
07:53 AM on 08/09/12
TSLataris
Representin' the 514
User Info.

I might be in the minority, but I agree 100%.
08:00 AM on 08/09/12
prospekt
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thomas here's a good idea: write an op-ed column about how you're bored of pop-punk, then post it on the front page so you get that off your back.

Then, get someone else to review these records.

I think the score on this is close to what it should be, but every Nassiff review now is him whining about the genre in general and not the bands. Album reviews should be about the music, not an opportunity for the reviewer to insert himself Into some sort of opinionated narrative disguised as a review.
08:01 AM on 08/09/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yeah i gave this one a shot and just found nothing interesting or exciting about it. kind of how i felt about the first AL4W album. it all comes down to choruses to me and this just didn't have it.
08:26 AM on 08/09/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
yeah I agree with the score. some great jams on the album but I rarely come back to it.
08:33 AM on 08/09/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
you've gotta give the second half a good listen, especially sleep well as i'd count it as a stand out track.
I have been listening to this album since April, I've given it plenty of "good listens."
You said in the review that it all comes down to personal preference yet people are still arguing about the score being too low. Read the entire review BEFORE commenting, people!
Imagine that.
Not saying the review is bad or that you don't love pop punk but honestly maybe you should let another person on the site do the reviews for upcoming pop punk albums for a while. There are some albums that really stand out but in all honestly the best thing about most pop punk is that it is catchy, fast pace, and something you can sing along to. I don't think anyone listens to pop punk to hear something new and exciting even if they do in the process. I think you may of lost interest in pop punk after listening to it for so long and probably need a break. The genre seems to mean a lot to you so maybe its just for the best you give yourself a break. I did that over for almost half a year and it really helps.
I'm not bored with the genre at all. However I'm not giving everything a glowing review, as I often used to do. I still listen to this type of music every day. I just write about the albums I do and don't like. Did you see my Forever Came Calling review? Mixtapes or The Swellers? I gave Daytrader a really good review too.
Oh ACA
Thomas here's a good idea: write an op-ed column about how you're bored of pop-punk, then post it on the front page so you get that off your back.

Then, get someone else to review these records.

I think the score on this is close to what it should be, but every Nassiff review now is him whining about the genre in general and not the bands. Album reviews should be about the music, not an opportunity for the reviewer to insert himself Into some sort of opinionated narrative disguised as a review.
You're the absolute worst poster. I don't just sit here and write vendettas against a genre. Oh and every review ever is a personal narrative.
08:34 AM on 08/09/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
This album is good, but the EP's were better. Maybe I should listen to it a few more times. But other than that Pure Noise has been killing it in the past 2 months.
08:40 AM on 08/09/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The bad timing thing was just a part of what I mentioned in the review. The main part is that the record is repetitive and that "...the truth is that I Call Fives doesn’t offer up many reasons to keep coming back."

I have reviewed many pop-punk releases on this site for the two years and two months I've been on staff. Now all of a sudden I'm unqualified to write about them? My love or interest in the genre is not the problem here - the problem is that I wasn't really that crazy about some of the records that came out this year. I guess it doesn't help that I'm not reviewing my favorite album this year from the genre, the new Yellowcard record, so my scores might seem skewed down a little. But note: I did review YC for my school newspaper and that review just got published today, so clearly you can see that I am not a jaded asshole who hates pop-punk songs all of a sudden.

If our opinions disagree, that's fine. That's what the thread is for. To share opinions, both common and uncommon. Discussion is great. I just don't understand the total backlash from some users when I write something they don't agree with. If you love pop-punk as much as I do, you have probably agreed with 80% of my reviews from the genre over the last two years. No reason to jump ship now.
08:45 AM on 08/09/12
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
I gotta disagree on this, the album's at least an 8/10 to me. It's easily the best pop punk release this year.
09:00 AM on 08/09/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Absolutely not. None of them are that good to begin with.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums