AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Glocca Morra - Just Married Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Glocca Morra - Just Married

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (08/08/12)
Glocca Morra - Just Married
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Record Label: Kind Of Like Records

Look, okay, there are a lot of bands that people tell me I need to listen to. This year, a lot of these bands are "twinkly," the latest and most awesome and worst named trend that has been finding a foothold in the punk/indie/DIY community. Anyway, I have to filter through a lot of these bands. Even though I wish I could listen to everything, it’s just hard to do that, so a lot of times I might end up listening to something for a really weird reason.

I started listening to Glocca Morra’s Just Married because I saw Tom from The Menzingers on the album cover.

Phew, it’s a good thing Tom is on that album cover, man. Glocca Morra is not a band that you want to hold off on listening to. They aren’t even a band that you want to add to that list of bands you have that you need to listen to. Just go ahead and click play right now, I'll wait here while you do that, and then keep reading. Okay, Just Married is one of the better twinkle albums released this year, and there have been a lot released this year, so that must say something, right? There’s a lot of Algernon Cadwallader influence here, as there is in this genre as a whole, and there’s also a lot of Mike Kinsella here, as there is in this genre as a whole.

Just Married has slightly more yelling than your base twinkle formula has, though, and this gives Glocca Morra an appearance of recklessness and disregard for anything resembling normal songwriting on this album. Opener “ya’ll boots hats (die angry)” …. guys, what the fuck does that song title mean? … shows off the yelly nature of the album, paired with a pretty nifty and poppy guitar riff that kind of reminds me of something that an indie band like The Wombats or The Hives or something would write. It’s a fun pairing, especially when the real guitar gets going and we get to sing along to cries of “I don’t know what I’m doing!”

A lot of Just Married blends together – the record almost tricks you into thinking you’re just listening to a really cool half-hour long song – but again, this is something that comes with this genre for the most part. There are definitely some standouts – the refrain of “Ten years down the drain” during “Anniversary Song” is a good one, and it’s one of the slower songs. The guitar is more smooth-sounding here, giving off a strong vibe of later-‘90s emo. “Broken Cigarettes” is another essential listen, but for totally different reasons: The beginning of the song is as aggressive as Glocca Morra gets, but the band slows things down later on.

The closing “Me + Geneine” is the track I find myself wanting to listen to most, but Just Married definitely works out better if you listen to it as a whole. What it lacks in disparity, it makes up for by being genuinely endearing. Even after listening to this record dozens of times, I’m surprised at how a band can simultaneously sound like they don’t care at all yet still deliver a product this addictive. At times, the vocals just sound lazy…but in the best way I can mean that. And it’s a great thing! Just Married is one of the best surprises of 2012, and if this twinkly genre ends up really catching on, like the newest wave of pop-punk did around 2008 and 2009, then I will expect to see Glocca Morra as one of the bands leading the charge.

8/10

Recommended If You LikeDefinitely Algernon Cadwallader is the first thing to put here, and Mike Kinsella projects, also some Braid and You Blew It! / all of Topshelf Records' roster.
LinksAlbum stream
Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
11:03 PM on 08/08/12
dlaug
good morning, vietnam
User Info.
Blows every "similar" release out of the water. YBI!, Dikembe, etc. don't hold a flame to this.

Okay, so I might be a bit biased, but I love this album.

Edit: This review needs fewer uses of the term "twinkle" and more RIYL: Snowing.
11:11 PM on 08/08/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Album is so fucking good, probably my top 10 of the year
11:26 PM on 08/08/12
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
*listened to album cause I said to

Good stuff, but like you said, bleeds together a lot.
07:35 AM on 08/09/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
I like this album and I like this review.
07:53 AM on 08/09/12
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
Blends together? Huh? For the first couple listens it's hard to tell what's going on, but it's really the opposite of "blends together".

Second best album of the year. One of the best bands of all time.
07:53 AM on 08/09/12
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
Blows every "similar" release out of the water. YBI!, Dikembe, etc. don't hold a flame to this.

Okay, so I might be a bit biased, but I love this album.

Edit: This review needs fewer uses of the term "twinkle" and more RIYL: Snowing.

But they pre-date Snowing... and are a million times better.
08:15 AM on 08/09/12
dlaug
good morning, vietnam
User Info.
But they pre-date Snowing... and are a million times better.
I'm just saying that it's a better frame of reference than American Football.
08:16 AM on 08/09/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Blends together? Huh? For the first couple listens it's hard to tell what's going on, but it's really the opposite of "blends together".

Second best album of the year. One of the best bands of all time.
okay
08:16 AM on 08/09/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
idk i never said anything about american football. also i think you blew it and dikembe made better records
08:50 AM on 08/09/12
Star Slight
User Info.
The You Blew It record wasn't good. Dads made a better record, though
09:01 AM on 08/09/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
yeah i probably like dads at least as much as this. some cool records this year. i liked YBI a lot.
09:33 AM on 08/09/12
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
this album brings the genre full circle. sounds like "some kind of cadwallader" if that album wasn't monotonous as all hell. you can tell they're having fun on this record and it's fucking great. 40 hugger/get fucked slays me. this album has hopefully (probably not) put the nail in the coffin for twinkly music.
09:34 AM on 08/09/12
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
The You Blew It record wasn't good. Dads made a better record, though
dads album has great lyrics. you blew it album just sounds uninspired to be honest
09:37 AM on 08/09/12
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
this album fucking rules. that is all.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives