AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
She Wants Revenge - This Is Forever Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 4
Production 7.5
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5.25
Final Verdict: 52%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.33
Musicianship 6.17
Lyrics 5.83
Production 6.42
Creativity 6.67
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.17
Average: 63%

She Wants Revenge - This Is Forever

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (12/19/07)
She Wants RevengeThis Is Forever
Release Date: October 9, 2007
Record Label: Geffen Records

Scoring big last year with the single “Tear You Apart” and 300,000 copies sold of their self-titled debut, Justin Warfield and Adam 12 (known as She Wants Revenge) move along to This Is Forever, the second recorded installment for the California electronic post-punk band. The album begins with “First, Love,” a pulsating instrumental mood maker and a big ‘ol look-at-me track that acts to call listeners in for supper. It’s an attractive start-up.

But then things go sour, or funny, depending on how you look at it. The rest of This Is Forever is a monotone studio party that kicks in after Depeche Mode Karaoke Hour. The Cure’s in there too – that’s where we can credit some of the gloomy vocals and dark undertow – but there is little, very very little, in This Is Forever that you can’t get (and much better) with bands like Interpol, Germany’s Wolfsheim, Pet Shop Boys (my personal favorite), and the Mode themselves. Besides the thick melody and catchy choral structure on “True Romance,” I found this album barely bearable. Singer Warfield is dreary and plodding around on one level for the entire effort. The prior self-titled release, although on the hot list when it was released in early 2006, suffered from the same vocal humdrum, arrangement monotony, and near-zero lasting power. Last night, liquor flowin’ and strobe lights goin’, the DJ only spinned Orgy’s cover of “Blue Monday.” This Is Forever is the next day’s bad hangover.

Whether or not Warfield and Adam 12 take themselves as seriously as their smoky pitch suggests, lines like “I don't know why you hide from me / All those times you said you'd die for me” (“Walking Away”) are theatrical, almost satirical representations of the 80’s jams they internalized when growing up a young bugger. Warfield has a minor British inflection and sounds absolutely miserable about life; if he doesn’t get excited about what he’s doing, how am I supposed to? Thirteen tracks with him and I sounds more like 13 hours stuck inside my local Hot Topic. Now that is forever.

The allure behind electronic rock and post-punk is a lot more enhanced than Depeche Mode covers and trance-like, man-made synth structures. This is where She Wants Revenge dug its own grave. There is an ocean-sized difference between interestingly moody and tediously boring. This Is Forever takes that difference and straddles it all the way to the last track.

Check it OutMyspace | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:59 AM on 12/19/07
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Interpol is better
09:38 AM on 12/19/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
my last name is also 12. We're related!!!!
09:39 AM on 12/19/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review as always! I completely agree with you about the other bands doing this sound alot better also.
10:15 AM on 12/19/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
bleh, just listened to their myspace. horrible knock off.
11:03 AM on 12/19/07
lbc182
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually liked a few songs off their first cd. At first i thought it was the lead singer of Interpol.
11:47 AM on 12/19/07
lilRIPsta
User Info.

hahahahhahaah!
12:06 PM on 12/19/07
bailmeout13
It could be a bowling site.
User Info.
Nice review Julia!

I just can't get past the singers voice for these guys. Very talented but the voice doesn't draw me in. They are freaking great as guests on Loveline though haha.
01:21 PM on 12/19/07
GlamourKillsUs
young money baby
User Info.
this band is pretty good i thought
maybe not this is forever
but their debut was a solid effot
their are a couple tracks that i like on this one
'she will always be a broken girl'
'pretend that the world has ended'
and 'written in blood' are all really good in my opinion
01:45 PM on 12/19/07
JaredRigsby
User Info.
I just listened to the songs on their myspace...
The first description that came to mind was 'dark fluff'
Their music has been done better countless times. It doesn't need to be done again.

How did 'Tear You Apart' get popular in the first place? It's one of the most droning songs I've ever heard... and I've heard Tunak Tunak Tun.
01:46 PM on 12/19/07
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.

There are a ton of 12s around where I live. They're good peoples.
02:22 PM on 12/19/07
HyperactiveYout
Your twisted change is normal.
User Info.

Joy Division is better

04:42 PM on 12/19/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

Yes and yes.
04:43 PM on 12/19/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

Whew, thank goodness you got the good genes.

Great review as always! I completely agree with you about the other bands doing this sound alot better also.

Why thank you Richie Dunks.
04:54 PM on 12/19/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Nice review Julia!

I just can't get past the singers voice for these guys. Very talented but the voice doesn't draw me in. They are freaking great as guests on Loveline though haha.

Thanks!

The singer sounds like he has a stuffy nose, hah.

I just listened to the songs on their myspace...
The first description that came to mind was 'dark fluff'
Their music has been done better countless times. It doesn't need to be done again.

How did 'Tear You Apart' get popular in the first place? It's one of the most droning songs I've ever heard... and I've heard Tunak Tunak Tun.

Dark fluff is a great description, hah. But dark fluff sucks if you listen to it for three hours in a row.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests