Username
Password

Album Review

Brave Citizens - Revolutions EP Album Cover

Brave Citizens - Revolutions EP

Reviewed by
Brave CitizensRevolutions EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: December 2007 (Digital Only)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s always a grand thing when musical tastes cross boundaries. So when the AP Staff (capitalization necessary), or at least a few of us, agrees on the merits of a band, I get excited. The “AP Conspiracy” to review certain albums poorly and others positively does not exist, but I have a feeling just about everyone with a name in red would say what I'm about to. (There may be far less first-person usage and way less parentheses involved, but you get my point.) This undeniably handsome (man crush!) duo churns out moody, dark, indie pop that’s hard to dislike. Slightly dancy, slightly naughty and very good; Revolutions is all these things. Clear your bellies and allow me to cram Brave Citizens down your throat. In a good way, of course.

With the soaring characteristics of an arena rock band and the cuddle-under-blankets feeling of an indie underground act, Brave Citizens should have no trouble finding an audience. “The Same Way” uses electric organs, reverb pedals and tambourines to dollop on hope and frivolity. Then, at our peak, “How Much Longer?” forces our descent. A grimy, filthy bassline and Adam Bialik’s menacing cymbals put a modern touch on what Depeche Mode has done since well before I was born. The vocals, however, oh, the vocals! I could muse on them for days. Vibrant, pitch-perfect, meaty; pick an adjective. Andrew Capra (who you might recognize from Hopefield) sounds better than ever. His voice creates a subtle inner-battle within myself; should I be grooving against a wall or should I be hunched over, writing all this down? In a perfect world, I would do both while Brave Citizens play at my birthday party.

“All Or Not” is, I feel, destined for the radio. The chorus of, “I can't seem to find a cold spot of shade / And I can't seem to find you anyway / The sun, the sun, the sun burns my eyes," will crack a smile on even the hardest emo face. Brave Citizens don’t employ bubbly lyrics or breakneck tempos to make your day. With Capra’s deep tenor shining like a beacon, they prod at higher functions using mysterious atmospheres and meticulously crafted choruses. All of this good stuff and a slow period for album releases should help Brave Citizens. Still, it’s easy to forget new music as we compile our endless (essentially meaningless) lists. Brave Citizens remind us why these lists are so frustrating and so necessary: constant additions. Well, it’s another +1 to my list. How about you?

Recommended If You Like: Mute Math, Hopefield, laundromats, Northern Room, searches

Meanwhile, Our Friends Are Restlesswww.myspace.com/bravecitizens

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
12:11 AM on 12/21/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
This album comes with just about my highest recommendation. Head to their myspace where you can hear all the songs.
10:16 AM on 12/21/07
tidesdontexist
Rock and/or roll
User Info.
Incredible band. Everyone should be listening to them.
11:00 AM on 12/21/07
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
i love this ep. can't wait to here more from them. "the same way" is definitely one of the best songs of the year.
01:00 PM on 12/21/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Niceeee. Thanks to Ryan for opening our eyes to this band.
01:01 PM on 12/21/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Good review Blake. You're so right about the staff loving this band.

Which means that everyone should check them out....
02:19 PM on 12/21/07
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
I tend to like most the bands you do Blake, but I can't really get into these guys...idk why.
02:23 PM on 12/21/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I tend to like most the bands you do Blake, but I can't really get into these guys...idk why.

Ahh, that's too bad. I see a lot of potential for these guys, and I rarely look to the future, haha. At least we still have lots of criss-crossing tastes. Make sure to check out my best-of list to be posted next week, hopefully there will be even more goodness there. And def. hook me up with your list.
03:12 PM on 12/21/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Excellent review Blake! This is the first time I listened to this band, but the songs are great just like you said
03:20 PM on 12/21/07
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Great guys.
Funny to see two boys from the hometown on AP.
05:23 PM on 12/23/07
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Ahh, that's too bad. I see a lot of potential for these guys, and I rarely look to the future, haha. At least we still have lots of criss-crossing tastes. Make sure to check out my best-of list to be posted next week, hopefully there will be even more goodness there. And def. hook me up with your list.

yeah, I think it's the electronica feel I get with these guys...it's just not my thing at all. Maybe eventually I'll like them..I don't know. Yeah, can't wait for the lists to come out, the VH1 top 100 of the 90s has grown old...ha
12:28 PM on 12/25/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
This is my first post on sidekick baby!
06:17 PM on 01/07/08
tacosforcharles
User Info.
Recommended If You Like: Mute Math

That really sealed the deal for me to check them out, and I'm not disappointed. Do they have plans for a full length this year?
09:10 PM on 01/07/08
birthstoned
bobsacamano
User Info.
great sound, lovely EP!
09:34 AM on 01/08/08
Blaise K
User Info.
I want to put the positive out there first. I think this band is really well put-together and I like how they incorporate the electronic elements. That being said, something leaves me wanting. I think perhaps, it's just not my kind of thing. I feel like I've heard these songs before, and not in a good way. There's nothing in Brave Citizens that strikes me as particularly "brave" if you know what I mean. Still, much respect to these guys for making good music and I can totally see why some people would like them. My $0.02.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos