Username
Password

Interview - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 29 of 29.
03:11 PM on 08/15/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
seeing bands like ETID and Senses Fail on warped tour really made me appreciate the catalogue of music they play for their fans - songs spanning from 4, 5 different albums. of course early records don't have as strong a meaning as they once did, you progress as a musician and grow/mature as a person. i mean Sleepwalking came out what, barely 3 years ago? just sucks to see them only pandering to their Rise audience.. wish they signed to Epitaph or Equal Vision..

I dunno, seeing, and reading some of the shit that they've said since their last 2 albums, I really don't think it would have mattered where they signed. Their guitarist and main songwriter, Kellen once told me, that he believed that they actually, "got better" when I asked them why the style change. They stated they were going for a broader audience, so I think they would have done it either way. It's a shame really, while I don't hate their newer albums, I just can't get over how they went from their EP, to Sleepwalking with the new guy, and then the chugga chugga dribble they released afterwards.
03:34 PM on 08/15/12
A Head
User Info.
Sleepwalking is their best record, with The Hollow closely following. Challenger just didnt really didnt didnt really do it for me, it has a couple great songs but I really wanted to like it more. Also, I wish they would've played Action/Adventure live at Warped, that song would've killed it live.
Disagree with your ranking of albums, but action adventure is a jam for sure!
03:48 PM on 08/15/12
Supernovacaine
givin'er
User Info.
I dunno, seeing, and reading some of the shit that they've said since their last 2 albums, I really don't think it would have mattered where they signed. Their guitarist and main songwriter, Kellen once told me, that he believed that they actually, "got better" when I asked them why the style change. They stated they were going for a broader audience, so I think they would have done it either way. It's a shame really, while I don't hate their newer albums, I just can't get over how they went from their EP, to Sleepwalking with the new guy, and then the chugga chugga dribble they released afterwards.
Its great to see them succeed and reach that broader audience they wanted, I guess I'm more bitter than usual because these guys went from being a favorite of mine to "oh, those guys".. I enjoy a well-timed, structured breakdown now and then, but geez with their new stuff I feel like they're being forcefully jammed into my ears just about every song..
04:06 PM on 08/15/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
Its great to see them succeed and reach that broader audience they wanted, I guess I'm more bitter than usual because these guys went from being a favorite of mine to "oh, those guys".. I enjoy a well-timed, structured breakdown now and then, but geez with their new stuff I feel like they're being forcefully jammed into my ears just about every song..
You took the words right outta my mouth... I don't hate the new stuff, I just don't like it... I mean, one or two listens to the album is all I could fathom, whereas Sleepwalking, I can still spin that album fully to this day, it was just much better musically, vocally, everything, it was an original work. These new albums just tend to sound like whatever chugs and breakdowns didn't make other Rise albums. And especially since it's Chango studios. It just feels like music that any other band could have written, and they just had the MMF guy sing on it. I'm happy they're selling well etc, I just can't really get behind the direction.
04:15 PM on 08/15/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Did he ever record anything with his prior band?

Also, it blows my mind that he is only 23. I'm 24 and I always assumed he was older than me - maybe 26.
04:17 PM on 08/15/12
pepster50
User Info.
The scene kids who go to Memphis May Fire shows are going to dig breakdowns more than Southern riffs, so I can see how they wouldn't get as much crowd input on the Southern songs.

I seriously don't understand why people say Sleepwalking is "southern". There are like 2 - 3 songs that have a southern vibe to it. The rest don't. If southern means less generic and more interesting then yes, it is southern. lol
04:20 PM on 08/15/12
pepster50
User Info.
Couldn't agree more my friend. Its a shame. I love Sleepwalking to death.
05:14 PM on 08/15/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
This record is incredible. The lyrics are so insightful and uplifting to me, and the MUSIC... just... amazing. One of my top three for the year, for sure!
07:02 PM on 08/15/12
Peerless
User Info.
"Alive in the Lights" is LEGIT.
10:01 PM on 08/15/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.

Also, it blows my mind that he is only 23. I'm 24 and I always assumed he was older than me - maybe 26.

Yes, Nights In Fire released one album independently, back in 2008. "Dressed In Solace" was a good track. He didn't really want to talk about the band much, he found it embarrassing.
01:04 AM on 08/16/12
slowmotion90
User Info.
The scene kids who go to Memphis May Fire shows are going to dig breakdowns more than Southern riffs, so I can see how they wouldn't get as much crowd input on the Southern songs.

I think you're right about the majority of scene kids. But I plan to go to their show here in Berlin, Germany, and am very dissapointed to read that there won't be any songs from this phenomenal record on their set list. Their new record is still a good jam though.
05:21 AM on 08/16/12
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.

it blew my mind when he said he was married for 6 years
07:54 AM on 08/16/12
RabidNewz
User Info.
"Alive in the Lights" is LEGIT.

It's probably my favorite song on the record.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests