AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:48 AM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member

The first record from the alt-rock/roots rock band since 2006's fantastic Rebel, Sweetheart. Pre-order is up on iTunes, with track previews available.

1. Hospital for Sinners
2. Misfits and Lovers
3. First One in the Car
4. Reboot the Mission (feat. Mick Jones)
5. It's a Dream
6. Love is a Country
7. Have Mercy on Him Now
8. The Devil's Waltz
9. It Won't Be Long (Till We're Not Wrong Anymore)
10. Constellation Blues
11. One Set of Wings

I'm very skeptical about what I'm hearing. The Clash-esque direction they're taking is interesting, but it wouldn't be my first choice for them. Very intrigued to hear how this record turns out.

09:56 AM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
Had no idea they were still together. This is the same Wallflowers with Jakob Dylan right?
10:01 AM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
That song sounds like it could have been on Give Em Enough Rope. This could be cool.

I hope so. I didn't like that song much at first, if only because it's so far away from everything this band has done, but I've come around to it a lot more recently.

Had no idea they were still together. This is the same Wallflowers with Jakob Dylan right?

The very same. They took a six year hiatus from recording though, with only a tour or two in between, so it's not surprising you didn't know they were back.
10:03 AM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
I hope so. I didn't like that song much at first, if only because it's so far away from everything this band has done, but I've come around to it a lot more recently.

The very same. They took a six year hiatus from recording though, with only a tour or two in between, so it's not surprising you didn't know they were back.

Yea I never really kept track of them after "Bringing Down The Horse" but I thought Jakob had gone off to do solo stuff. I'd be interested to hear what they're doing now, especially if it sounds like The Clash.
11:03 AM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
Southern California
Male - 26 Years Old
I like this band, and though the records have been pretty good, nothing since Bringing Down has really broken from the mold of their sound. Jakob's solo albums were pretty solid though
01:48 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
StreetSpirit76
Michigan
Male - 24 Years Old
Interesting song, but I don't really see this appealing to the same crowd that embraced their Americana-tinged stuff in the '90s (and later), as I did. Some may say they've grown stagnant, but the appeal of this band for me has always been that kind of heartland, post-Tom Petty classicism they display that's so rare among commercial rock bands these days. It almost sounds like they're going for an Achtung Baby-style reinvention here. I'm intrigued, but also a bit skeptical.
02:25 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
Portland, Maine
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
Not a fan of the newest song at all. And I love Bringing Down The Horse. New song reminds me of some T.rex garbage.
02:43 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
San Francisco, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
Really looking forward to this.
Always been a fan of the band, and now with Jack Irons (Red Hot Chili Peppers/Pearl Jam/Eleven/et al) on drums I'm seriously like a giddy little school girl.
04:42 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Chemical Love
-
Boston
Male - 29 Years Old
Rebel, Sweetheart was a good album, I forgot about that.
04:51 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yea I never really kept track of them after "Bringing Down The Horse" but I thought Jakob had gone off to do solo stuff. I'd be interested to hear what they're doing now, especially if it sounds like The Clash.

Jakob did a pair of solo records (Seeing Things and Women and Country), but toured with The Wallflowers at least once in that intervening period (I saw them for the first time in the summer of 2009), and always planned on getting the group back together to record another album.

Check out the above song if the Clash influence interests you though: Mick Jones plays on the song and Jakob even name-drops Joe Strummer.

Interesting song, but I don't really see this appealing to the same crowd that embraced their Americana-tinged stuff in the '90s (and later), as I did. Some may say they've grown stagnant, but the appeal of this band for me has always been that kind of heartland, post-Tom Petty classicism they display that's so rare among commercial rock bands these days. It almost sounds like they're going for an Achtung Baby-style reinvention here. I'm intrigued, but also a bit skeptical.

Definitely agree with you on this: even if I enjoy this record and the reinvention therein, I'll always think of The Wallflowers for their folkier, more alt-country/roots rock kind of sound. Bringing Down the Horse was definitely the peak of that, but I really think everything they did was worthwhile, and that Jakob reached his peak as a lyricist on Rebel, Sweetheart. Have always been one of my favorite bands.

Always been a fan of the band, and now with Jack Irons (Red Hot Chili Peppers/Pearl Jam/Eleven/et al) on drums I'm seriously like a giddy little school girl.

Ditto on the first bit. "One Headlight" was my first favorite song.
08:52 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
warpcosmic
BDTH is one of my all-time favorite albums. It was one of the first records I ever truly loved. But that song they released is straight garbage.
09:12 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Rebel, Sweetheart was a good album, I forgot about that.

People almost never talk about that album, but there are a ridiculous number of great songs on there.

BDTH is one of my all-time favorite albums. It was one of the first records I ever truly loved. But that song they released is straight garbage.

BDTH is probably in my all time top ten, and was (along with Counting Crows' August and Everything After, Matchbox Twenty's debut, and Third Eye Blind's Self-Titled) the cornerstone of my childhood listening. I don't think "Reboot the Mission" is garbage though, it's just not the direction I wanted them to go in. Jakob's voice doesn't quite work for me in that context.
09:18 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
warpcosmic
BDTH is probably in my all time top ten, and was (along with Counting Crows' August and Everything After, Matchbox Twenty's debut, and Third Eye Blind's Self-Titled) the cornerstone of my childhood listening. I don't think "Reboot the Mission" is garbage though, it's just not the direction I wanted them to go in. Jakob's voice doesn't quite work for me in that context.
That's what I mean. It doesn't fit at all. I suppose both the instrumentation and vocals wouldn't be bad separately, but putting them together is like spreading mayo on your ice cream. Oh, and I agree about the other records you mentioned.
09:50 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
That's what I mean. It doesn't fit at all. I suppose both the instrumentation and vocals wouldn't be bad separately, but putting them together is like spreading mayo on your ice cream. Oh, and I agree about the other records you mentioned.

I don't know: I'm really used to Jakob doing the folk/roots/country sound, but I'm not opposed to him/them trying something a little different. The electronic/synth-pop they threw out there on "When You're on Top" from Red Letter Days was something I always found intriguing.

But glad to know we're on the same page as far as '90s records go. Throw in some Oasis and Fastball and that was pretty much my childhood. Haha
11:34 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
StreetSpirit76
Michigan
Male - 24 Years Old
I wasn't aware of this. Very cool. I'm not a Chili Peppers fan, but I love his work with Pearl Jam.
Definitely agree with you on this: even if I enjoy this record and the reinvention therein, I'll always think of The Wallflowers for their folkier, more alt-country/roots rock kind of sound. Bringing Down the Horse was definitely the peak of that, but I really think everything they did was worthwhile, and that Jakob reached his peak as a lyricist on Rebel, Sweetheart. Have always been one of my favorite bands.
I was lukewarm on Jakob's solo records, but I've enjoyed everything The Wallflowers have put out. They were one of my first favorite bands, too. Bringing Down the Horse was one of the first albums I ever bought. I think hearing "One Headlight" on the radio and loving it - enough to actively seek out more music from the band, which was a big deal for me then - was probably my earliest exposure to roots-rock/alt-country outside of The Eagles, and I've never looked back.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos