Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 43 of 43.
03:53 PM on 08/17/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not as good as some other bands I've heard at Mars Hill services. I'm not really into the preaching there but I've gone with friends before and god damn do they have some talented bands.
03:53 PM on 08/17/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
whats really cool about this is that theyve included the chords to this. neat.
03:54 PM on 08/17/12
whispered east
ThisGlassEmbrace.bandcamp .com
User Info.
I came into this thread because I'm a fan of Thrice and Dustins solo work. Pretty sure I'm allowed to express my opinion. Which is one where I've lost respect for him for releasing this garbage and preaching religious bullshit. But hey....to each his own I guess?

Yeah, to each his own, definitely. Though Dustin has been putting Bible verses in songs all the way back to at least Deadbolt, and basically every song on his solo record and the last two or three Thrice albums has been all religious, all the time. So even if he's spelling it out super clearly now, I don't know that everyone should be suddenly surprised. The Modern Post is basically the lyrical themes of Major/Minor with happier music.
05:00 PM on 08/17/12
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
I definitely understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately a lot of modern worship just has no artistic integrity. Musically it's usually a cookie cutter of another cookie cutter, and they're not even trying anymore. Sadly there's a whole industry of this stuff haha. I'd say it's worse off than the pop-punk scene. Good thing The Modern Post is now out there (among a handful of newer bands) challenging the stereotype.
Yeah I actually just read a statement Dustin released about the nature of The Modern Post and he said essentially the same thing haha. I mean, I listen to a good amount of Christian bands (Norma Jean, Underoath, The Chariot, TDWP, etc) so I've got no problem with the faith + music thing, it's just with those bands (or Thrice even), it's not the main lyrical focus all the time and when it is, it's still more often than not, fairly subtle.

Anyway, listening to the EP now and I'm getting a weird New Order kind of vibe from the music haha. Maybe it's just me.
08:27 PM on 08/17/12
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sorry. Can't relate to bullshit religious lyrics.
If you listened to Thrice or anything else by Dustin than you've already been listening to religious influenced lyrics. Just an observation, you're icon is the album "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Of Me" and features songs like Jesus Christ. Yes, Modern Post has a preach element, but don't over analyze it. If you like the music, and Dustin's voice, just go with it. You don't have to believe or agree with him or any artist necessarily to listen or enjoy a song. If after than you find you don't like it, then you probably just don't like it for what it is. Just a thought, because we all do have our own opinions, to let him express his. You can not like it without putting him and his beliefs down.
10:15 PM on 08/17/12
Ibleywoo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review Matthew, very fair and even handed IMO. I'm not sure I like the synths myself but I'm sure it will grow on me. Dustin's voice is as good as ever and He is following his heart.
11:33 PM on 08/17/12
TylerHartman
User Info.
As someone who has absolutely no interest in anything to do with religion, I was actually pretty impressed with this. Would not be a regular rotation kind of EP, but I enjoyed the first few songs quite a bit.
11:46 PM on 08/17/12
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I have to say that this is a really well written review. The first paragraph is quite thought provoking and then last sentence is a great kick in the teeth. I think you've communicated some good stuff here and I am thankful for that.
11:53 PM on 08/17/12
kylecoon
I'm down with brown town
User Info.
Legit album. Dustin Kensrue is the man, as is my boy Jesus.
03:08 PM on 08/18/12
RuckerPark
OutwardsInWords.com
User Info.
...Number 99, Just As I Am...
07:58 PM on 08/18/12
-whisp-
HelixSkies
User Info.
There's a nice groove to the tracks, will definitely have this spinning in future. Great review too.
06:23 AM on 08/19/12
creativemind
every planet we reach is dead
User Info.
Good EP. I just really, really want a studio version of "Of Crows and Crowns" sooooon!
08:36 AM on 08/20/12
whispered east
ThisGlassEmbrace.bandcamp .com
User Info.
...Number 99, Just As I Am...

Haha, awesome. That was the first thing I thought of, too.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests