Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Intern With Paper + Plastick Records

Posted by: Ryan Gardner (08/17/12)
Paper + Plastick Records has openings in the fall for interns in marketing and administration. See details in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
11:27 AM on 08/17/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Details and RequirementsWe are looking for a few interns for the fall semester. Interns earn real-world experience working for an independent record label, will get the chance to network with music industry folks of all types, and will get the chance to do work in the fields of marketing, publicity and administration.

Recently, we have had motivated people come out to Gainesville from all over the country to take part in our internships. Interns have navigated to us from New York, Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska - even Canada! The fall interns will get the opportunity to work in big-time projects with companies like Grooveshark, and media publications like Alternative Press Magazine, Purevolume.com, AbsolutePunk.net, PropertyOfZack.com, and many more. Interns will be under the direction of Paper + Plastick owner and Fueled By Ramen co-founder Vinnie Fiorello.

We are specifically looking for self-motivated, driven candidates. We want the type of person who can take on a project without being micromanaged; a person who can multitask without being taught how. These internships are unpaid but if you're coming from out of town, we can help you find a cheap place to live and find a part-time job.

If you are interested in applying for one of our internship positions, send an email to P+P label manager Thomas Nassiff at thomas at paperandplastick dot com. Include your resume, any relevant experience and qualifications, and please specifically note if you have experience in the music industry already or are good with graphic design. Also do not apply if you are a dickhead.
11:31 AM on 08/17/12
billy_yo
Registered Member
User Info.
I live on long island. This would be cool
11:34 AM on 08/17/12
boomer08
User Info.
That last line should be on every job application ever
11:45 AM on 08/17/12
ARo2431
User Info.
That's pretty awesome of them to help you find a pt job and cheap apt. I went out of state for an internship oportunity and wish those options were offered to me.
12:03 PM on 08/17/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
LOL @ unpaid internships.

They are slave labor and should be illegal.
12:06 PM on 08/17/12
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
Damn..I'm a dickhead!

Seriously though, this is a pretty awesome internship. You get to intern for an up and coming label, gain a shit ton of experience, work with some incredible people like Vinnie and Thomas, AND they help you out with finding a place/a part time job. I wish every internship was like this!
12:12 PM on 08/17/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
LOL @ unpaid internships.

They are slave labor and should be illegal.
Lol please. We offer college credit if people want to get college credit. I did 6 months unpaid with P+P and now I'm the (paid) label manager. Another intern came from Chicago, ended up getting hired full time, now lives here. It's not like we take in naive young people then work them to the bone and spit them out starving and poor. At the very least you get an awesome add-on for your resume, a letter of recommendation from a guy who is pretty well known in the industry, and the cool experience of working for a label and drinking a lot of beer.
12:12 PM on 08/17/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
That last line should be on every job application ever
I was tempted to make it the first line.
12:20 PM on 08/17/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
Lol please. We offer college credit if people want to get college credit. I did 6 months unpaid with P+P and now I'm the (paid) label manager. Another intern came from Chicago, ended up getting hired full time, now lives here. It's not like we take in naive young people then work them to the bone and spit them out starving and poor. At the very least you get an awesome add-on for your resume, a letter of recommendation from a guy who is pretty well known in the industry, and the cool experience of working for a label and drinking a lot of beer.
I'm not speaking poorly about P+P, I meant unpaid internships in general. Many companies today create unpaid internships to pawn off work to college kids and call it "a chance to network, build a resume and get real world experience" when it isn't much more than busy work no one else wants to do.

By that description of your experience and the original post, this internship is borderline illegal. I would recommend looking at the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division letter about what is a legal unpaid internship (http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/att...GL12-09acc.pdf [page 8]).

These two particular points stand out,

3. The trainees do not displace regular employees, but work under their close
observation;

"We want the type of person who can take on a project without being micromanaged; a person who can multitask without being taught how. "

4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the
activities of the trainees, and on occasion the employer’s operations may actually
be impeded;

"The fall interns will get the opportunity to work in big-time projects..."

Not trying to be a dickhead, I'm just giving you the heads up on the legality (these points could of course also apply to a lot of unpaid internships out there, thus bringing me back to my original statement that unpaid internships are bad).
12:38 PM on 08/17/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I'm not speaking poorly about P+P, I meant unpaid internships in general. Many companies today create unpaid internships to pawn off work to college kids and call it "a chance to network, build a resume and get real world experience" when it isn't much more than busy work no one else wants to do.

By that description of your experience and the original post, this internship is borderline illegal. I would recommend looking at the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division letter about what is a legal unpaid internship (http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/att...GL12-09acc.pdf [page 8]).

These two particular points stand out,

3. The trainees do not displace regular employees, but work under their close
observation;

"We want the type of person who can take on a project without being micromanaged; a person who can multitask without being taught how. "

4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the
activities of the trainees, and on occasion the employer’s operations may actually
be impeded;

"The fall interns will get the opportunity to work in big-time projects..."

Not trying to be a dickhead, I'm just giving you the heads up on the legality (these points could of course also apply to a lot of unpaid internships out there, thus bringing me back to my original statement that unpaid internships are bad).
Thank you for being an Internet detective. I know what the position says, but it's not like we assign work to interns then don't talk to them. We closely supervise whatever work they do - someone responsible and accountable is managing the project at all time. I think letting people work on projects is a lot cooler than just doing other random stuff.
12:45 PM on 08/17/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
Thank you for being an Internet detective. I know what the position says, but it's not like we assign work to interns then don't talk to them. We closely supervise whatever work they do - someone responsible and accountable is managing the project at all time. I think letting people work on projects is a lot cooler than just doing other random stuff.
That's great to know, and sounds like a cool job.

But no one will be able to convince me that unpaid internships are good or fair.
12:46 PM on 08/17/12
calciumwaste
x
User Info.
Regardless of your personal opinion on whether it should be illegal, it IS illegal. Unpaid interns are not allowed to do anything that helps the company. They are only allowed to job shadow or do work that is thrown out.

It's pretty sad how prevalent these sorts of internships are. Do companies not do their homework or do they know it's illegal and just not care?
12:49 PM on 08/17/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Would consider if I was still at RRC. My first internship was good, but the second one was a waste of my time.
12:52 PM on 08/17/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
Regardless of your personal opinion on whether it should be illegal, it IS illegal. Unpaid interns are not allowed to do anything that helps the company. They are only allowed to job shadow or do work that is thrown out.

It's pretty sad how prevalent these sorts of internships are. Do companies not do their homework or do they know it's illegal and just not care?
I'd like to say that a label like P+P is just unaware. But I feel like the general trend these days is unpaid working internships are beginning to become accepted and no one cares.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests