AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rushmore - I Bet You Wish You Were Somewhere Else Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Rushmore - I Bet You Wish You Were Somewhere Else

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (12/26/07)
Rushmore - I Bet You Wish You Were Somewhere Else
Record Label: None
Release Date: November 19, 2007

The power pop punk movement of the 2000’s has been such a leading force that bands are still being affected by it’s ripples and coming up to shore in its wake like Mt. Holly, New Jersey’s recent export Rushmore. Power punk’s roll call picked up momentum in 2007 with the release of albums from Mayday Parade, Hit the Lights, All Time Low, Plain White T’s, Say Anything, Amber Pacific, and the newly self-released I Bet You Wish You Were Somewhere Else from Rushmore, whose 2006 EP Wake the Neighborhood was their point of entry into the pop punk kingdom. Band members Travis Coffin (guitar, vocals), Jason Fox (lead guitar), Jordan Gershowitz (bass), and Mark Miller (drums) sound like veterans of pop punk with their volley of tight guitar spins, flailing drums, phat bass thuds, and charging vocals that fodder dragon-sized flames as flagrant as their predecessors. Produced, mixed, and engineered by Ian Bennett, Rushmore’s latest record has all the pop punk pastries that any Warped Tour aficionado would find enjoyable.

Rushmore create fizzling, party-pop tunage on tracks like “The Wake Up Call” and “1,000 Dollars and Some Medication” igniting free-falling sensations. The band shows a hard rock ripeness on numbers like “Stay Hammered, Keegan!” and “Last Rights to Last Night” which spring into massive sing-alongs belonging in the ilk of Fall Out Boy. Rushmore transition into an acoustic rock melody on the final track “Invisible Children” featuring singer Angela DiPalantino, who harmonizes affectionately with Coffin’s voice. The switch from pop punk to acoustic rock shows Rushmore’s musical progression and the band’s maturity. Yes, maturity emerging out of a power punk band. The lyrics talk about life’s little dramas emphasizing that they can be overcome. Coffin encourages, "Hang on dear friend, this song is rising up for you / I know that you feel like your life lost meaning, but here tonight, I’m gonna see you through / Look at me, funny how I’m on the other side of this / Hang on, it’s alright, the future isn’t out of sight, it’s not ready to be without you / Bring back heaven with your smile." The music is as sentimental as the tender words, and the vocal exchanges and sweet highs have a mollifying effect on the listener which really makes this track special.

Rushmore have opened shows for national touring acts like Yellowcard, I Am the Avalanche, Farwell, All Time Low, Just Surrender, Plain White T’s, The Early November, Secondhand Serenade, Valencia, and Houston Calls. They also won the prestigious MTVU Battle of the Bands in August 2007. Though Rushmore’s music shows many influences from the bands they have played alongside, they don’t show signs of wanting to exist in anybody’s shadow. They seem stoked about growing with pop punk’s changes and transitions, so I Bet You Wish Were Somewhere Else seems to initiate a start of something more to come.

LinksAP.net Profile | Website | MySpace | Buy

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News