Password

Album Review
The Treatment - This Might Hurt Album Cover

The Treatment - This Might Hurt

Reviewed by
The Treatment - This Might Hurt
Record Label: Spinefarm Records
Release Date: July 17, 2012
An export of the United Kingdom playing rock seemingly meant to be played at arenas and sporting events, The Treatment’s new disc This Might Hurt embodies just about everything one could find fun about the sound of buzzing, upbeat guitars and slightly raspy, yet soaring vocals. The truth is, this band’s sound is bred for either the big stage or the dirty backroom bar stages of America. But to be totally honest, The Treatment aren’t turning the page for a new era of throwback metal. Call it hair metal. Call it ‘80s-flavored arena rock. But This Might Hurt is a slightly fuzzy presentation of such grounded jams, focusing more on energy and enjoyment than progression and notoriety. And in reality, I’m not sure it’s fair to expect much more from a sound that has been severed, melded and re-imagined more than probably necessary.

This Might Hurt gets off to a bit of a slow start, with “Departed” yielding one of the album’s weaker opening guitar riffs. Despite that, the tone, vibe and songwriting of The Treatment is more than heard even in the less enjoyable moments – the slightly proggy melody of “Just Tell Me Why” or the mid-tempo, uninspired twang of “Winter Sun” – though it suffers a bit when shown in lesser executed moments. The cheese factor is a bit more apparent at times as well, as a bouncing, quite lively number like “Drink, Fuck, Fight” is standard by every means necessary – yet somehow manages to stand out with strong melodies and a percussion-heavy attack.

Even so, the band hovers quite a bit in a sound that recalls a handful of bands, whether its the pumped up kick of “Road Rocket” or the simpler, yet punchy “The Doctor”, much to their channeling success and nostalgic delight. It’s admittedly fun if even a bit formulaic, as the parts making up this band simply scream of a flashback. From the buzzing vocals to the searing guitar licks, it’s all pretty much standard from front to back, but I’ll be damned if these guys don’t pull it off with enough gusto to make me believe this record was written some 20 or 25 years ago.

Enjoyable enough to warrant a couple spins, The Treatment probably didn’t try to turn the hard rock world on its head – that much is certain. But in terms of keeping it fun while throwing in a dash of musicianship and energetic execution, This Might Hurt sneaks in the back door without much of a scuff with the burly bouncer trying to keep things from getting out of hand. If that was the purpose of this album, consider this a solid effort.

Recommended If You LikeGuns 'N Roses, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy... I could go on.
This review is a user submitted review from Jason Gardner. You can see all of Jason Gardner's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version