AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Makari, The - The Escape Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 3.25
Production 2.75
Creativity 3
Lasting Value 2
Reviewer Tilt 2
Final Verdict: 29%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Makari, The - The Escape

Reviewed by: Richard Maxim (08/20/12)
Makari - The Escape EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: December 15, 2011

Makari is a band hailing from the place I call home, south Florida isnít really known for the kind of groove they bring to the table but thatís the good part. Sofla doesnít really have the best scene especially for bands like Makari, You wouldnít guess kids down near Miami would listen to Circa Survive or Tides Of Man but they do; and this is a faithful reproduction of that.

Escape has stages ranging from moody and mellow to sultry and upbeat. There are a lot of things going on here melodically. Whisper, Whisper is unfortunately the opener, if I were to hear this track as an introduction to Makari; I would have quickly dismissed them. Nothing particularly wrong with it but dull drumming and simplistic piano riffs need to really be held up by something spectacular to be satisfying and that just isnít here. I donít know if itís the production of Escape as a whole or just Brandon Cullenís vocals but it doesnít lend itself well to a slower song like Whisper, Whisper. I think over something acoustic though, he could really shine.

Moving on to The Escape, This is really where Makari shines. Upbeat and melodically inclined, itís easily the standout of this ride. Still leaving something to be desired, youíll feel pretty underwhelmed by the time itís all over. The closing track is a shining example of what Makari is capable of if they would just sculpt their sound a little more. Cut the fat and emphasize their strengths. The boring parts linger for too long and when the sun actually starts to shine, Makari pulls the blinds way too soon. I wouldnít escape though, I think this group is on to something good; keep your ears to the south.

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive, Tides Of Man, feeling underwhelmed

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
07:49 PM on 08/31/12
bskycul
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey! You should really check out Makari's newer music. Its matured since the release of this EP, and overall better.

Doses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZMt9ev91A
Life Barefoot (featuring Tilian Pearson) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJG2h3iZdM
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS