AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Sumerlin - 08.21.12

Sumerlin - 08.21.12

Interviewed by
Sumerlin - 08.21.12Sumerlin is slowly climbing its way through the North Carolina music scene. We recently spoke with the guys about the group's new EP and what they have coming up.

1. Please introduce yourself and your role in the band.

I'm Dan, I sing for the band. I'm Logan, I play guitar. I'm Tyler, I play guitar. I'm Chris, I play bass. I'm Joshua and I play drums.

2. You guys are fairly unknown on the site so let's get some background on the new EP you guys just put out.

We released "MOTIVES" in March. It's our second release and we recorded it with John Harrell (Sent By Ravens, Set It Off, Divided By Friday), who also did our first release. We really wanted to begin finding ourselves in writing this EP. With our first EP we recorded what we had and released it- it was literally a rush to get some music out there. With "MOTIVES" we were able to slow down and write without a deadline- giving us the chance to focus on each song piece by piece. We went to John for pre-production and we took more songs than we needed. This way we had choice over what we felt (and John felt) best suited our EP.

3. Have you guys chosen a single from the EP yet? Any plans for a music video or special promotion?

We chose "The Fallback" as the single and have scheduled it for a video. We're really excited about what we have planned and who we have in the video. Kevin Stauss (director for our "We Stand" video) is filming this video and we actually start shooting for it in the next few weeks. We have a few special promotion ideas that we'll disclose on Facebook and Twitter along with the video progress.

4. Do you have any personal attachment to a song on the new record?

I think in some way or another we all pour into the song meanings and overall feel but "Waiting on You" is probably the most meaningful to me. It's about the importance of having confidence in yourself before anyone or anything and the importance of knowing that even after heartache and struggle be it in life or relationships you are still you and it's never to late to be yourself.

5. North Carolina has been a breeding ground for bands for years. How are you guys trying to make it out of there?

We're trying to move with the change and demand while remaining true to who are as a band. There are so many bands out there and you have to try really hard to set yourself apart in one way or another. Being aware of who and what is around you is key. Otherwise you're just another canvas on the wall.

6. Any plans to record later in the year?

For sure. We're heading back into the studio with John Harrell again in August. It's a bit weird getting back to the studio this quick as this is the shortest amount of time from 'record release to recording new material' we've experienced but we're trying to stay ahead. We always enjoy working with John and can't wait to see what's to come from our next session.

7. Any plans to tour before the year is out?

We have some fun things on the table for the Fall. You'll just have to watch us on Facebook and Twitter for the scoop. (facebook.com/sumerlinband, twitter.com/sumerlinband)

8. Anything else to say?

Thanks a lot for the interview. We love what you guys do for bands and the music scene. Thanks to Josh Tyndall and John Harrell. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and all of our social sites... We run all of our pages and pride ourselves on hanging out and talking with our fans and friends outside of just shows and events. Thanks for the support!

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
07:50 PM on 08/21/12
thegraverobber
User Info.
Great band, great dudes!
07:25 AM on 08/24/12
holdngcaulfield
Holding Caulfield
User Info.
We're playing with them on one of their dates in October. I'm excited to hear them. They're a great band

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos