Username
Password

02:42 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
Duluth, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
The summer after my mostly unsuccessful sophomore year at college is almost over, and just now I realizing something. Both my mom and dad have adjusted to life without me living under their roof(s), and that I am disturbing them -- I am basically no longer a member of their households. No, they would never not have a place for me to stay if I really needed one, but it is very obvious to me now that they would much rather have me not living with them. Has this happened to anyone else?

For those of you that have lived/are living at home during (or after) college, post your experience.
03:03 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 23 Years Old
I'm in college living at home, not by choice. I'm poor and I haven't been able to find a job to pay for housing so I couldn't go elsewhere ): It makes me want to kill myself. I absolutely hate it and moving out isn't a possibility right now. I'll soon be 22, and my parents treat me like I'm 12. I don't even feel like I'm in college having a "college experience" like everyone else. ):
03:29 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
i think it's all in your head. I felt that way also whenever I came home for the summer. It's you that's different not them.

Plus it seems as if you got atleast freshmen year at college, that's the most important time. You'll never again get the freedom of dorm life. The amount of mischief that went on during those times will be unmatched.
03:33 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
Oh my god. it was THE WORST. I just got back to school. Thank god. That summer sucked. No freedom.
04:21 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
Keri
I live at home and I'm mostly okay with it. When I think about the money I'm saving by only paying for classes rather than classes and rent/housing, it makes it worth it.
05:29 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
Austin, TX
Male - 28 Years Old
Im out of college for a few years now, but looking back Whenever I came home, my parents loved it, I am my moms only child so she made me all kinds of meals i missed while i was away at school and things like that. I think they kinda missed me but were glad to have me home during the summer and everything but there were times were they would get on my case and stuff but i suppose thats normal. I think they year or so after I was out of college and living there we kinda butted heads a bit.
06:35 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
Kassie09
in the empire business
Pittsburgh, PA
Female - 24 Years Old
no, my parents love me and cater to my every need when i come home and they cry like babies when i leave.

then again, i am their perfect princess, so.
08:15 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
imchriswalken
Lesser human by post count
New Orleans, LA
Male
The summer after my mostly unsuccessful sophomore year at college is almost over, and just now I realizing something. Both my mom and dad have adjusted to life without me living under their roof(s), and that I am disturbing them -- I am basically no longer a member of their households. No, they would never not have a place for me to stay if I really needed one, but it is very obvious to me now that they would much rather have me not living with them. Has this happened to anyone else?

For those of you that have lived/are living at home during (or after) college, post your experience.

If you didn't go to college at least several states away from your parents/where you grew up, you are doing it wrong. Why would you ever want to be close to home? Go SOMEwhere.

Seriously, man up and figure out everything you need to do to live on your own. Once you do, you will never need to wonder again. It is either, "way more convenient to live at home and put up with it," or "there is no way in hell I will ever do that again." When I left for college, I wouldn't even speak with my family until I got home. We are all on good terms now, but it was worth it.
08:20 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
acidmob
They're just trying to help you grow up. It's completely normal.
10:21 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I go to school in Boston, and live at home right outside. Before, I was at a different college for two years and absolutely hated dorm life. I'm going to try to get an apartment in the city maybe next year, but I am not dying to get out. I enjoy living at home. I don't have to worry about money, there is always food in the house, free cable and internet, and my parents are very free with what I do. I enjoy coming home to spend time with them. If I go out, I come home whenever I want, and sometimes I will spend the night somewhere else. Of course I will get the occasional call just to see where I am, but where I am is never an issue. It seems most people do not agree with me....
I guess I should note that the entire basement is pretty much my living room.
10:54 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
danperez
both my parents love each other and love me
we have orange juice every morning
i guess i am the exception
we are all happy.
thank you.
11:00 PM on 08/25/12 
User Info.
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
Duluth, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
If you didn't go to college at least several states away from your parents/where you grew up, you are doing it wrong. Why would you ever want to be close to home? Go SOMEwhere.

Seriously, man up and figure out everything you need to do to live on your own. Once you do, you will never need to wonder again. It is either, "way more convenient to live at home and put up with it," or "there is no way in hell I will ever do that again." When I left for college, I wouldn't even speak with my family until I got home. We are all on good terms now, but it was worth it.

haha I've lived on my own for the past two years about 7 hours away from home. just home for the summer.
08:43 AM on 08/26/12 
User Info.
seventwenty3
Boca,Florida
Male - 25 Years Old
I live at home, there is nothing I can't do that I'd be able to do at a dorm. My mom doesn't give a shit what I do as long as it isn't cocaine in the middle of the house. I pay for things in the house though, so that could be a major difference.
10:01 AM on 08/26/12 
User Info.
Ditka For Gov
West Chicago
Male
I'm in college living at home, not by choice. I'm poor and I haven't been able to find a job to pay for housing so I couldn't go elsewhere ): It makes me want to kill myself. I absolutely hate it and moving out isn't a possibility right now. I'll soon be 22, and my parents treat me like I'm 12. I don't even feel like I'm in college having a "college experience" like everyone else. ):

I did this too for 3 out of my 4 years in college and it was awful. My advice would be instead of trying to save and pay to live at college, save the money for an apartment after you graduate.
12:06 PM on 08/26/12 
User Info.
OfSkate&Scars
The takeover, the hiatus's over.
Shreddin in the...
Female - 22 Years Old
When I went to the dumb community college I lived at home obviously and didn't care. When I went to Massage School, I lived at home and didn't mind at all, just paid my parents rent and tried to help them out with bills even though I was never really home.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos