AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fine Frenzy, A - One Cell in the Sea Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 83%

Fine Frenzy, A - One Cell in the Sea

Reviewed by: thepianominstre (01/02/08)
A Fine Frenzy - One Cell in the Sea
Record Label: Virgin Records
Release Date: July 17, 2007

Alison Sudol claims a childhood forged by great influences, from C. S. Lewis to E. B. White, Aretha Franklin to Aqualung, the Beatles to Bjork. Sudol's musical creation, better known as A Fine Frenzy, does not reach the classic genius of her favorite legends, although there is pleasant potential. But the trouble I had getting into her debut album, One Cell in the Sea, is similar to the trouble I have in filling an empty stomach with nothing but a plain salad - it can happen, but it takes awhile.

A friend first introduced me to "Almost Lover," a simple but piercing melancholic ballad that, from the first piano chord to the unresolved closing, is favorably reminiscent of Coldplay's instantly depressing (and oh-so-beautiful) classic, "The Scientist." I was interested enough to explore a few more songs by the artist, and was perfectly charmed by "You Picked Me," an irresistibly pleasant love song: "Like an apple on a tree / Hiding out behind the leaves / I was difficult to reach / But you picked me." One can almost see Sudol smiling as she nearly whispers the last three words with a purely delightful inflection.

My appetite sufficiently whetted, I forked out the ten bucks for the album... and found myself rather disappointed. One Cell in the Sea is a glorification and celebration of nature, from the album art to the music videos to the amiable metaphors. It's also kind of bland. The aforementioned gems were squeezed into sixty-one long minutes (that's more than an hour!) of something somewhere between the underground indie scene and the decade-old soft rock singles that filter through the sound system at my supermarket. An abundance of strings not seen since the 90's immersed Sudol's ivory tickling. While it was nice to hear the genuine pluck of piano keys in this modern, digitized, synthesized age, the repetitive motions of either rapid straight chords or back-and-forth arpeggios threatened to lull me into a boring nightmare.

Sudol's attempts at poetic imagery on songs such as "Rangers" ("And the rangers scream out to the cabins / They are the hunters / We are the rabbits / Maybe we donít want to be found") don't exactly carry the evocative presence of say, mewithoutYou (neither does the random accordion that opens "Liar, Liar"). And when the plucking piano isn't pushing the album forward, it plods through slow, almost rhythm less marshes similar to parts of the latter half of The Fray's How to Save a Life, but without its quivering calm.

But before I could get around to writing my first harsh review, I found myself humming a song from One Cell in the Sea. And then another. And another. The melodies had carved little rivers through my brain and were slowly digging deeper paths. I dusted off the disc (if audio files can be dusted off), gave it a few more digital spins, and decided, "Hey, this really isn't so bad after all!"

The strength of A Fine Frenzy is Sudol's voice, naturally fluctuating from a soft whisper to a lilting falsetto to a strong resonating quality, and there's a bit of Imogen Heap channeling with harmonic vocal layering on "The Minnow & the Trout" and "Last of Days." On closer inspection, even the strings aren't really so unfortunate. There's a few sprinkled horns that rise to the surface, as well as some warm cello tones that seem to indicate that not all of the strings are sugary synthetics.

I don't know if Sudol deliberately created a natural theme to encourage us to "Come On, Come Out" from our permeated lives and enjoy the sun, or if she just wanted an excuse to play a piano in the middle of a field on a bright, warm day (still on my list of things to do before I die), but while A Fine Frenzy didn't smash into the front of my favorites list, it's slowly carving out its territory on my musical horizons like a growing tree or a slowly rising sun. And maybe that's just the way this album was intended.

For Fans OfThe Ghost of the Forest, Coldplay, Colbie Caillat, Eisley

Track Listing01. Come On, Come Out (3:36)
02. The Minnow & the Trout (4:28)
03. Whisper (4:57)
04. You Picked Me (4:23)
05. Rangers (4:34)
06. Almost Lover (4:29)
07. Think of You (4:06)
08. Ashes and Wine (4:21)
09. Liar, Liar (5:55)
10. Last of Days (4:13)
11. Lifesize (3:44)
12. Near to You (4:35)
13. Hope for the Hopeless (4:18)
14. Borrowed Time (4:13)

AP.net Profile | Website | MySpace | Last.fm

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
01:38 AM on 01/06/08
lilRIPsta
User Info.
"But before I could get around to writing my first harsh review, I found myself humming a song from One Cell in the Sea. And then another. And another. The melodies had carved little rivers through my brain and were slowly digging deeper paths. I dusted off the disc (if audio files can be dusted off), gave it a few more digital spins, and decided, "Hey, this really isn't so bad after all!""

Omg I've felt that exact feeling. Brilliantly put
11:47 AM on 01/06/08
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. I heard the song Almost Lover and was amazed. Then I read about the hype on this album. Then I downloaded the cd. I was dissapointed. Its boring and dull. I can't make it past the first few songs. What are the 3-4 songs on would be reccomended?
12:38 PM on 01/06/08
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
It's tough to recommend a few tracks because I didn't really like any of the songs besides "You Picked Me" and "Almost Lover" at first until I became more familiar with them and started to enjoy her unique vocal flair. But I suppose I might recommend "Rangers," "Ashes and Wine," and "Hope for the Hopeless." Those are the ones I find stuck in my head more often than not.

But unless you decide that you like the style enough that you want to get into it, it'll simply be hard. Even though my opinion of the album has improved, it's still almost certainly going to be relegated to the lower tier of albums whose individual songs I listen to when they come up in a shuffle, but almost never actively choose to listen through the entire album.
03:33 PM on 01/06/08
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
I'm still thinking long and hard whether or not I should give this album a listen...

...still thinking...
07:07 AM on 01/09/08
konstantine008
thepreacher
User Info.
I enjoyed this album very catchy alisons voice impresses me much some solid tracks on an overall solid album sorry my comments not very deep I'm using my iPod touch in my English class
06:25 PM on 01/09/08
LillieDesigns
Orange, CA
User Info.
I enjoyed this album very catchy alisons voice impresses me much some solid tracks on an overall solid album sorry my comments not very deep I'm using my iPod touch in my English class

Hit the space button twice in a row for periods. =]
07:07 AM on 01/14/08
konstantine008
thepreacher
User Info.
thank you.
08:00 PM on 01/27/08
ade
Here, At Home
User Info.
Nice album.
I like it. Soft voice blends with the music well.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS