Password

Album Review

The Farewell Circuit - In Our Bones Album Cover

The Farewell Circuit - In Our Bones

Reviewed by
The Farewell Circuit - In Our Bones
Record Label: Princess Records
Release Date: October 31, 2011
Every once in a while, I make a personal discovery of a band, and at the same time, I'm disappointed in myself for not knowing about them sooner. This is the case with The Farewell Circuit.

When I saw The Farewell Circuit's extensive discography over many years of releases, I didn't particularly feel qualified to review this album. But I think that from my limited perspective, I'll be able to give honest observations without bias. After all, aren't reviews mostly meant to help strangers of the bands pick who they'll throw their money at next?

First of all, I have to say that as far as openers go, "In Our Bones (Abandon Your Arms)" captured my attention better than any other opener I've heard this year. Before I forget, I need to mention that this was very important for me later on in the album. I'll explain in a minute; but first, let me talk about a few key tracks that kept me listening.

Other than the opener, "10-8-10", "Guard" and "Oh My God" were the most immediately likable for me. That's not a knock on the other tracks; they're all likable. But for me, slower tracks are usually what I latch onto and replay many times over until I'm sick of them. After that, I move on to the fast, heavy, or unusual/unpredictable tracks. It's just what I've always done, but I know that everyone has their own style or rituals in listening to music.

Speaking of rituals, whether they meant to or not, In Our Bones is a very obviously spiritual album. Don't get me wrong, though. It doesn't really come off feeling preachy, or not to me at least. Between the unmistakable references to an earthly paradise, protecting your spirituality, and a coming movement that will solve all of the world's problems(hunger, hate, crime), it just doesn't feel pushy or like they're insisting on my believing them. In fact, with the deep level of writing in these songs, done by Danny O'Brian, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the spiritual references are some kind of metaphor for something too deep for me to understand; that's the vibe I get, anyway.

In any event, if the religious lyrics DO bother you, you could focus on the awesome range of instrumental sounds throughout the album or the permeating message of our human need for love and contentment. I find that each track begins in a definitely unique way: pounding drum rhythm, overdriven video game guitar, slightly whammied distorted guitar that cuts out every now and then(similar to the style of As Cities Burn's Cody Bonnette). This album is full of original and thoughtful instrument additions that add character and longevity.

By the time I arrived at the last track, I was already convinced to listen to the album again. As I mentioned in the beginning, the opening track wet my appetite; well, the last track was the gratuitous Ó la mode to top it off. Concreting the album, "In Our Bones (Pick Up A Plow)" is a direct continuation of "In Our Bones (Abandon Your Arms)", using the same chords, melody, tempo, effects and choice in lyrics. Reading this, I make it sound like it's the same song, but it's more like it completes the idea laid out in the first track; though, if the two were cropped and tied together, i doubt anyone would notice the seam. It seems important, though, to keep them separated. The impact that they both give the album is well arranged and convincing, and to have that message opening and closing strongly influenced my review and my feeling towards the record in general.

All in all, I really enjoyed In Our Bones, and I'm glad that I didn't go much longer before being introduced to The Farewell Circuit. They have a flexible style that doesn't show any signs of wearing out soon, and the wide range of sounds is sure to fit many different moods and tastes.

Recommended If You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie, MGMT, Ben Howard, Coldplay, St. Vincent

Bandcamp Page, Facebook Page
This review is a user submitted review from OHismiwiiknis. You can see all of OHismiwiiknis's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
03:48 AM on 09/09/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
I definitely reviewed this album too. But yours is better...
04:21 PM on 09/15/12
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
I definitely reviewed this album too. But yours is better...
haha! yeah. i picked it from a list that Linda sent me, and she didn't mention that someone else was already reviewing it. when i submitted it, yours hadn't been posted yet, i woulda held off if i'd known you were doing it. sorry, man.

i actually felt like your review was better. the way you described Danny's voice and used the lyrics to demonstrate the emotions in the songs was very cool. it added a presence to the review that mine doesn't have. keep it up. i look forward to reading more of your reviews. ;)
07:55 PM on 09/15/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
haha! yeah. i picked it from a list that Linda sent me, and she didn't mention that someone else was already reviewing it. when i submitted it, yours hadn't been posted yet, i woulda held off if i'd known you were doing it. sorry, man.

i actually felt like your review was better. the way you described Danny's voice and used the lyrics to demonstrate the emotions in the songs was very cool. it added a presence to the review that mine doesn't have. keep it up. i look forward to reading more of your reviews. ;)
Wow, thank you, that seriously means a lot! No worries at all though it doesn't matter too me if we both do the same reviews. It was a good choice to pick haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos