Username
Password
Video News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Video
Inside AP.net

No Thanks, Bowery

Posted by: Dre Okorley (08/28/12)
hate5six recently filmed Quicksand at the Bowery Ballroom and was removed from the show for it. Check out the video and read the petition about why this is important and what you can do to help.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
07:37 AM on 08/28/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
07:38 AM on 08/28/12
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I sympathize with this 100%. I also film shows, and I've been pulled by my shirt and shoved out for no reason. Treating us like dirt for doing what we love has to stop.
07:52 AM on 08/28/12
Zummy
I'm illegal in 48 states
User Info.
I understand that venues like this may have a no filming policy but I still think that if you do get caught, you shouldn't be ejected from the show immediately, you should be given a warning at first. Also, I think it should be up to the band whether they want people to be able to record their show or not.
08:02 AM on 08/28/12
hate5six.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Venues are certainly allowed to have whatever rules they want. The issue here was that artist permission was granted and no explanation was given as to why that wasn't sufficient, especially since the video was strictly for non-commercial purposes. A second issue is the closing of the gap between cell phone cameras and professional rigs. One is generally allowed while the other is policed heavily; technology is making the policy inconsistent and obsolete.
08:05 AM on 08/28/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Glad this got posted. I signed the petition the other day. I've yet to get kicked out for my filming, but I have been scolded.
08:06 AM on 08/28/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Also, holy shit - this looked like a great show. Wish they got to shoot the whole thing.
08:25 AM on 08/28/12
topsecret
User Info.
I understand that venues like this may have a no filming policy but I still think that if you do get caught, you shouldn't be ejected from the show immediately, you should be given a warning at first. Also, I think it should be up to the band whether they want people to be able to record their show or not.
The dude posted on another site that he ignored 3 warnings.
08:48 AM on 08/28/12
Zummy
I'm illegal in 48 states
User Info.
If he was given 3 warnings at the show then he deserved what he got. That being said, I still think that it should be up to the band to decide whether or not they want people recording their shows.
08:57 AM on 08/28/12
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
That stinks. Really though you can't use the defense "other people were recording and you didn't kick them out," it sucks and it's hypocritical, but it's their space and they can do what they want.

I have no idea why a venue wouldn't the free publicity that comes with someone filming a show.
09:01 AM on 08/28/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
That stinks. Really though you can't use the defense "other people were recording and you didn't kick them out," it sucks and it's hypocritical, but it's their space and they can do what they want.

I have no idea why a venue wouldn't the free publicity that comes with someone filming a show.
The answer to your second sentence is obvious: it makes people think "Well if I can just watch that show for free later I don't have to deal with people jostling me the whole time and $8 beers," so they stop going to the venue.
09:08 AM on 08/28/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just dont understand the problem.

You can't even get into most bigger venues with cameras like that... And if he was given warnings, come on now.
09:11 AM on 08/28/12
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
The answer to your second sentence is obvious: it makes people think "Well if I can just watch that show for free later I don't have to deal with people jostling me the whole time and $8 beers," so they stop going to the venue.
It seems like the amount of people that would take that mindset would be negligible, and overshadowed by the amount of people who are now excited and think your venue has great shows. As someone who works for a small venue, I wish someone filmed all our shows in HD and put them online.
09:18 AM on 08/28/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It seems like the amount of people that would take that mindset would be negligible, and overshadowed by the amount of people who are now excited and think your venue has great shows. As someone who works for a small venue, I wish someone filmed all our shows in HD and put them online.

But it's the Bowery Ballroom, it's not really a small venue...

Edit:
It says right on their website:
"• Can I bring my camera?
Photo policy varies for different artists and is usually not determined until day of show. You can bring a nonprofessional camera to most shows, and you can inquire about the photo policy at the door or call 212-260-4700 on the day of show. If you are Mick Rock, please send us copies."
09:29 AM on 08/28/12
absolution
User Info.
Did the show sellout?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles