Username
Password

01:41 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
takemyhand
Either I'm in heaven or I'm in hell
Detroit, Michigan
Female - 23 Years Old
I'm 21 and the only job experience I have is a few months of sales at A&F and I got fired because I suck. There's a couple of restaurants I worked at for a day but I'm not sure that counts. I'm not sure how to fix myself. Even when friends hook me up with job interviews and tell me I'm basically already hired, I go for the interview and I don't get a call back. I'm talking small jobs, like stores in the mall and such. I guess I'm just really awkward, I don't know if that's for sure the problem but I'm pretty sure. I'm not stupid, but when I get in a social situation with someone I don't know super well my mind just goes blank and I can't think of what to say. I'm a person that practices phone calls before I make them because I get so nervous about it. I don't know if this is something I should see a doctor about or if it's something I can get past myself. I'm not sure if it's something in my brain, or because my parents didn't really let me leave the house until I was out of high school and I just need more social experiences. I don't know what to do with myself :(
02:24 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
oakhurst
Faith, Love, Hope
Male - 22 Years Old
I used to have the same problem, like my mind would just go blank, even though I had planned what I was going to say. I started to not plan what I would say beforehand and I started to not have the problem. I guess from planning what I would say ahead of time it built of my nerves and made me have anxiety from waiting to say what I had planned already, or freaking out because the time had actually come to speak. My advice would be to just go with the motion and don't plan ahead, just say something. As for the job part, I haven't been down that road yet since i'm still in college, but my friends who used to have job problems applied at a local temp agency and they both got factory jobs (that hire females as well) and still work at them. Sorry if that didn't help, just putting something out there.
03:02 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
Louisville
Male
I'm 21 and the only job experience I have is a few months of sales at A&F and I got fired because I suck. There's a couple of restaurants I worked at for a day but I'm not sure that counts. I'm not sure how to fix myself. Even when friends hook me up with job interviews and tell me I'm basically already hired, I go for the interview and I don't get a call back. I'm talking small jobs, like stores in the mall and such. I guess I'm just really awkward, I don't know if that's for sure the problem but I'm pretty sure. I'm not stupid, but when I get in a social situation with someone I don't know super well my mind just goes blank and I can't think of what to say. I'm a person that practices phone calls before I make them because I get so nervous about it. I don't know if this is something I should see a doctor about or if it's something I can get past myself. I'm not sure if it's something in my brain, or because my parents didn't really let me leave the house until I was out of high school and I just need more social experiences. I don't know what to do with myself :(

Would you honestly like some genuine help? I'm not a social worker, a doctor, someone with magical answers, or a magic wand to help you get a job. I'm just a stranger with a heart and an open mind to listen to someones problems.

I can give you job finding tips or help you on your resume. It only sounds like you're lacking some confidence. There is nothing wrong with you, it's very common to feel that way around strangers and be so nervous your mind goes to a blank.

Message me if you'd like to talk.
03:13 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
Seattle
Male - 23 Years Old

Are you not hot enough or something? Get some confidence up in that bitch, act a fool.
03:21 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
MyJukeboxBroke
I need a Couch
cedar rapids, ia
Male
be a para in a school
03:29 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
CGarnsay
No Avatar Selected
Male - 26 Years Old

If you want some social experience let me know, I'm very good to talk to. Also, I work in the professional field, I can help with interview questions. Email me at CGarnsay@live.com
03:31 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Nobody can find a job these days. What do you expect?
03:35 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
Yontsey
This Awkward Silence / Dustin
Cleveland, OH
Male - 30 Years Old
I'm a business owner and all the small businesses I deal with are booming. I also see lots of good jobs available if people want to apply themselves. I don't buy the no jobs available stuff.

Edit: I just re-read my post. Didn't mean for it to come off sounding snarky.
03:44 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
takemyhand
Detroit, Michigan
Female - 23 Years Old
Thank you for all of the advice thus far everyone :) It's not that I don't know that finding a job is hard right now for everyone, but seriously I go to an interview for a little store in the mall who says they want to hire 5 people for back to school season and sometimes I'll feel super confident during and after the interview but not getting hired in the end makes it hard to continue searching. I know I'm kind of weird but I'm not that fucking weird.

Also I was wondering if any businesses look for things online about applicants, like do they google my name? I think I've heard of that, but I was assuming it was for more serious jobs... not retail jobs at the mall.
03:45 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Los Angeles
Male
apply, apply, apply, call back, rinse, repeat.
Practice in the mirror or out with friends. Its only going to get better if you want to be better.
03:48 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Thank you for all of the advice thus far everyone :) It's not that I don't know that finding a job is hard right now for everyone, but seriously I go to an interview for a little store in the mall who says they want to hire 5 people for back to school season and sometimes I'll feel super confident during and after the interview but not getting hired in the end makes it hard to continue searching. I know I'm kind of weird but I'm not that fucking weird.

Also I was wondering if any businesses look for things online about applicants, like do they google my name? I think I've heard of that, but I was assuming it was for more serious jobs... not retail jobs at the mall.

Sounds like you don't have much of any experience. Why should they choose you over somebody who actually has experience, especially in this economy?

If your friends are telling you that you basically already have the job, but then you don't get the job, why don't you ask your friends why you didn't get it? Chances are you didn't actually have the job. There's not an easy solution to your problem.
03:50 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
takemyhand
Detroit, Michigan
Female - 23 Years Old
Sounds like you don't have much of any experience. Why should they choose you over somebody who actually has experience, especially in this economy?

If your friends are telling you that you basically already have the job, but then you don't get the job, why don't you ask your friends why you didn't get it? Chances are you didn't actually have the job. There's not an easy solution to your problem.

I mean I know you're right, but how am I supposed to get experience if I need experience to get a job.
04:22 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I mean I know you're right, but how am I supposed to get experience if I need experience to get a job.

You've just raised the question that millions of young American adults are dealing with right now. There are people with graduate degrees who are in your position. You'll either catch a break, or you'll deal with it until the job market improves. Find something productive to do in the meantime to make yourself more marketable.
04:29 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
honey bunny that's the funny thing
omnipresent
Female
I suggest you go on Craigslist and apply for customer service or admin jobs as well as sign up with every temp agency in town. You might not be a retail type of worker and might be better suited for secretarial stuff in an office. You're beautiful, you'd get hired as a secretary/front desk girl in a heartbeat. Seriously though, you know how to type, definitely hit up the temp agencies, even for short-term assignments it's a good idea. Do a few short term assignments well and the agencies will call on you for better opportunities. It's definitely a tough time but with persistence you will be able to get something.
04:51 PM on 08/28/12 
User Info.
HCO SF 87
No Avatar Selected
California
Male - 27 Years Old

Were you model or impact at A&F?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version